What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ipad 1 ios 5.0.1 jailbreak problem

lerx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had jailbroken my iPad 1 using redsnow 0.9.9 b8 and after my jailbreak, there is no more multitasking-guestures! And I am running iOS 5.0.1 which should have multitasking-guestures. Under settings there is no option for that

Sent from my iPad 1 using iPF

Attachments

• image-2126460855.png
    image-2126460855.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 923

MrLuke

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not really into jail braking as it I like my device just the way it is. But I'm presuming the jail brake you've installed doesn't have multitasking jestures. It's worth looking around at different jail brakes as they're not all the same.

OP
lerx

lerx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MrLuke said:
I'm not really into jail braking as it I like my device just the way it is. But I'm presuming the jail brake you've installed doesn't have multitasking jestures. It's worth looking around at different jail brakes as they're not all the same.

But now there is currently redsnow or to jailbreak ios 5...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Go back and run the jailbreak again. There is a box in the redsn0w program to check so you can get the multigestures Remember, though, to be sure to UNCHECK the "install Cydia" box. Cause you sure don't want to do that again!

Since you are pointing at iOS 5.0 for the 5.0.1 jail break, the multi gestures are not in 5.0. That's why that box is there to check.

I had done exactly the same thing you did, forgot to check that box. Re-running the jail break fixed it and now I have the gestures.

Oh, and don't forget that after the re-jailbreak, you'll have to do the reboot again...

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

OP
lerx

lerx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
Go back and run the jailbreak again. There is a box in the redsn0w program to check so you can get the multigestures Remember, though, to be sure to UNCHECK the "install Cydia" box. Cause you sure don't want to do that again!

Since you are pointing at iOS 5.0 for the 5.0.1 jail break, the multi gestures are not in 5.0. That's why that box is there to check.

I had done exactly the same thing you did, forgot to check that box. Re-running the jail break fixed it and now I have the gestures.

Oh, and don't forget that after the re-jailbreak, you'll have to do the reboot again...

Hope this helps and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Ok thanks I will try this tmr :)

AlexBotos

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi, i have an ipad 1 updated to ios 5.0.1, and i'v jailbraked it with redsn0w 0.9.9b8, but after reboot nothing is different on it, the single change is cydia icon, but it doesn't start, what can i do to jailbreak it ?

OP
lerx

lerx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AlexBotos said:
hi, i have an ipad 1 updated to ios 5.0.1, and i'v jailbraked it with redsn0w 0.9.9b8, but after reboot nothing is different on it, the single change is cydia icon, but it doesn't start, what can i do to jailbreak it ?

You must boot-tethered in order to use cydia

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

foof

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, stupid question, but I can't seem to find a straight answer.

What happens if you don't boot tethered?

Reading AlexBotos post seems to imply that it boots properly with basic non-jailbroke functionality. Other posts imply that it won't boot at all, period. So does it boot with basic apps like Mail, Safari, Calendar, etc. usable or is it essentially bricked?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you don't boot tethered after the initial jail break, you get the part where the Cydia icon doesn't work. I didn't see what happens if you tried to run any of the other apps, I went straight to the re-boot (as I wanted Cydia for my tweaks). So, who knows what would happen there.

If you don't boot tethered from then on, after the first reboot after jail break, the iPad won't work. It won't be bricked (cause it's fixable ... with a tethered boot) but it won't reboot or turn on. You won't get a screen and you won't see any of the apps to see if they work or not. At best, you may see the Apple logo as it sits there. At worst, you'll have a black screen. I don't even know if you can turn it off in that condition - so you may actually run down your battery.

What I think you're remembering is the semi-tethered jailbreak, which is tweak that allows you to use the iPad (after a reboot or a power up) without having to do a reboot. It'll allow you to use basic functions of the iPad, but it will not run as well until it's rebooted tethered.

In fact, my understanding is that the tweak was developed more for iPhone users who needed to use their iPhones as phones. So, if they had to reboot, this way they could have a phone until they got to their computer to fully bring the iPhone back to life. Essentially, it's a "paperclip and bubble gum" fix until you can get home for a real fix.

Hope this clarifies.

Marilyn

nismailm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear moderators, thanks a lot for all the help! I've managed to untether jailbreak my iPad 3G+Wifi running on iOS5.0.1, with multigestures working, using Redsn0w 0.9.10b1! As mentioned by super moderator Mickey330, make sure that to enable both "Install Cydia" & "Install Multigestures" option boxes when jailbreaking (My first attempt was without multigestures). Many thanks! :)

nismailm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear moderators, thanks a lot for all the help! I've managed to untether jailbreak my iPad 3G+Wifi running on iOS5.0.1, with multigestures working, using Redsn0w 0.9.10b1! As mentioned by super moderator Mickey330, make sure that to enable both "Install Cydia" & "Install Multigestures" option boxes when jailbreaking (My first attempt was without multigestures). Many thanks! :)

Just to note, however, that when I did the same to my iPhone 4, the phone boots up to the Apple logo and stays there. Reinstalled the iOS5.0.1, jailbreak with Redsn0w 0.9.10b1, but this time around, I only enabled the "Install Cydia". It booted up just fine. I have all the features, minus the multigesture on the iPhone 4. Anyone has this problem...yet? Any advice or solution to fix this is much appreciated. TQVM! :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts