What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ipad 1 gps?

colinicky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi please be gentle ! I have read the various threads about gps BUT Apple UK are telling me that :- An ipad1 64gb 3g MUST have an active cellular connection for the gps to work but the ipad 2 3g does not need it to be active to work, is this true ?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No - it is not true. The GPS on a 3G iPad works whether or not the cellular connection is active. However, if you're using the iPad's Maps app then this downloads mapping data in real time and that would require a WiFi or 3G connection to download the map data. But there are many other mapping apps that download the map data while you're at home, say, and then you would not require a cellular connection.

I have an iPad1 with 3G and often use this in areas where there is no cellular connection possible (no coverage) and the GPS works just fine.

Tim

OP
C

colinicky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks Tim thinking of using either tomtom or Copilot .

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There are some free mapping apps too, depending upon which country you're in. So have a look through the Forum and you'll see plenty of recommendations from Members - hopefully for your country, too.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts