What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ios8, iPhoto and jail breaking?

oppositelok

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello,

I am a real noob when it comes to this sort of thing so please forgive me if I Amy way off he make here. Unfortunathey I recently made the terrible mistake of updating to IOS 8 which has basically ruined my iPad mini. It hand and freezes all the time. It's almost unstable. Them
N I find out that iphoto is not supported!! Now I use that a lot and have recently won a national photo competition using iphoto edited pictures.
I have found out that I can go back to iOS 7. But was wondering if I jailbreaked the device would iPhoto work??

Many thanks in advance

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm afraid iPhoto is gone for good. Even if you could get it to run on a jailbroken device the changes in how Photos stores its libraries will probably keep iPhoto from accessing and storing photos properly.

Eventually, probably sometime in Spring, I expect the Photos app to get a bump in editing features. I could be wrong, of course. I don't have any inside information. All I'm working with is Apple's schedule for rolling out the new Photos app for OS X Yosemite. I'm hoping they bump iOS Photos app at the same time.

In the mean time, Photos did get some new editing features. The filters are the same but the exposure, light, and color controls are far better and more detailed. And you've got the new actions to play with. More about that below.

These are your alternatives.

Many camera apps have added new action extentions that allow you to use them from inside the Photos app. This is mostly filters, but it's something. Check out the App Store and look for the "Great Apps & Games for iOS 8" promotion. It's one of the smaller ones between the rows of app icons.

There are quite a few good photo editing apps out there, many of them more powerful than iPhoto was.

Snapseed. I like this one. Besides the usual light, exposure, and color controls there are many effects you can apply.

Photoshop Touch. Not nearly as powerful as the computer version, but still a good editing tool.

Pixelmator. This is the new app demoed in the last Apple event. It was released today, or maybe it was yesterday. I've seen reviews of it on the iPad Air, and it was reported to be really good, if a little slow with some of the more intensive operations. I wouldn't recommend an older iPad, though it should still run on anything that has iOS 8 installed.

Most reactions

Latest posts