What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 8.4, Downgrading from IOS9

OLDREPUBLICAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there, users
As I am a new user on the resource. Plz understand my curiousity.
I have just updated my new Ipad Air, presently, and here I think I felt like more comfortable while using an old IOS 8.4. As I see the Apple's policy now, they won't let people downgrade for the firmwares, they stopped signing. Now the question is , any chance to bypass this prohibition? I would be really glad to hear the apple hackers' success in finding new vulnerability at this point.
There was time earlier, I used to have iphone 3gs, there one could use tools like tinyumbrella to simulate apple vefivication services for the firmware signing...
Any new step at this move on these days?

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPadForums!

iOS 8.4 is not signed any more. The only version you'll be able to install, is 8.4.1, if you wish to revert to it.

There's no way/workaround to install a different software version than iOS 9 or 8.4.1. While installing the software on your iPad, it "communicates" with Apple's servers, which make sure the right version is installed. If you try to get a different iOS to your device, you'll get errors, making it impossible to proceed.

Jailbreaking doesn't help either, btw.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there, users
As I am a new user on the resource. Plz understand my curiousity.
I have just updated my new Ipad Air, presently, and here what I think is I felt like more comfortable while using and old IOS 8.4. As I see the Apple's policy now, they won't let people downgrade for the firmwares, they stopped signing. Now the question is , any chance to pass this prohibition by? I would be really glad to hear the apple hackers' success in finding new vulnerability at this point.
There was time earlier, I used to have iphone 3gs, there one could use tools like tinyumbrella to simulate apple vefivication services for the firmware signing...
Any new step at this move on these days?
Once Apple has stopped signing a particular firmware version, their's no way to install it on your device. Right now it's impossible to downgrade to iOS 8.4. iOS 8.4.1 is the only firmware version you can downgrade to, until Apple stops signing it.

OP
OLDREPUBLICAN

OLDREPUBLICAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already downgraded to 8.4.1 as the only way I could get off the "9". How to remove the "1" notification about the new IOS available btw?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm curious. What in iOS 9 made you feel uncomfortable. It's very like iOS 8.4.1. The biggest difference, visually, is the new keyboard; and that can be change to act more like the old keyboard if you want.

OP
OLDREPUBLICAN

OLDREPUBLICAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm curious. What in iOS 9 made you feel uncomfortable. It's very like iOS 8.4.1. The biggest difference, visually, is the new keyboard; and that can be change to act more like the old keyboard if you want.
Actually not. Not really as you see this way.
What I did not like about the last release is the fact the system has lost it's feather-feel fluidity, most noticeable in scrolling, while the time when the Apple actually wanted us all to believe that the newest upcoming release was concentrated on improving performance at all, I try not to expatiate upon that b*llshit for the battery life extending. Can I live not using a "renewed" typewriter, oh yes, I think I can.
Sure, you may disapprove all that I mentioned, but here comes my personal opinion, found it's ponderable approval all over of the internet.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Actually not. Not really as you see this way.
What I did not like about the last release is the fact the system has lost it's feather-feel fluidity, most noticeable in scrolling, while the time when the Apple actually wanted us all to believe that the newest upcoming release was concentrated on improving performance at all, I try not to expatiate upon that b*llshit for the battery life extending. Can I live not using a "renewed" typewriter, oh yes, I think I can.
Sure, you may disapprove all that I mentioned, but here comes my personal opinion, found it's ponderable approval all over of the internet.

Actually not? You mean the keyboard? The case changing is "un-intuitively" turned off in the Accessibility settings, not the keyboard settings. Not that it matters if you don't have a problem with it. I only mentioned it because it was the most jarring change for me, and the only thing that came to mind after reading your first post.

As for the the fluidity issue, it's best to give the iPad a few hours to settle into a new iOS version before deciding you've got a performance hit. Right after an install there's often a lot of background activity; re-indexing spotlight for one. It is common for the iPad to be a bit slower and more power hungry for up to 24 hours. It's happened every single major iOS update. My iPad Air wasn't top notch for the first couple hours, but is doing ok now.

(Though I've noticed that using side view a lot seems to cause more frequent app refreshes. To be expected I suppose, but not a happy making thing.)

I'm not saying you don't have issues, only that you might want to hold off for a day, and see if they persist. You should have at least three or four days before Apple stops signing iOS 8.4.1. Usually it's more like a couple of weeks.

But, of course, it's up to you. I was not trying to criticize you for wanting to go back, just to understand your reasons.

Most reactions

Latest posts