iOS 7 vs Android 4.2

Discussion in 'Apple iPad News' started by iDan, Jun 11, 2013.

1. I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Apple are innovative in the fact they make their software better. Just take a typical car. Is a Ford car better than a Ferrari because they churn Ford cars out ever year? Whilst yes they are both vehicles that allow you to travel from A to B, Ferraris cars are by far superior. The same principle applies to Apple and IOS 7. Innovative by definition means ahead of its time, forward looking which is exactly what iOS 7 is. It took the best bits from Android and made it better!!

#11 I_luv_Apple, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  2. BocataDeChoped

BocataDeChoped
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I don't mind letting the Android guys have it first, as a matter of fact I kind of like it because it provides the competition a large pool of test subjects for free. It's not like there is much room left for innovation when your main competitor updates its OS on 6-month basis anyway.

3. s2mikey

s2mikey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Actually, I'm a Ferrari fan but saying a Ferrari is a better car isn't accurate. They are faster and subjectively better looking but aren't better cars. This me OS isn't even out yet so let's wait and see how they do. Android has a decent chunk of the market so they must be doing something right. There's obviously room for both out there.

4. The OB

The OB
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Tim Cook called the iOS7 "the biggest change to iOS since the introduction of the iPhone".

It will have that new Control Centre that WE will be able to access with one swipe from the bottom of the screen to control some marvellous new features incorporating basic settings.

With those settings WE will see multi tasking and a nice improved camera app with choice of filters, and an easy switch between shooting modes, albums etc.

WE will have the pleasure of experiencing the new music app which will include free streaming iTunes Radio. And WE will experience a nicely improved Safari.

WE will also see Apple present us with a new UI which in their careful research they figured will add to our enjoyment of iPads. They have been pretty successful on that score in the past. Myself, I am quite excited about all this upcoming stuff as I own an iPad, enjoy it and, because of that, I am on this forum.

I say WE, CoreDump, because it is probably doubtful whether you will experience any of this, as it seems likely you are or will be using an Android product in future if you are convinced your assessment of matters is correct. I hope I'm wrong and that you joined this forum as a fellow iPad enthusiast like me. But I just can't shake the feeling that you may not be quite in the right forum with your denigrating comments about Apple and the iPad iOS particularly.

Again, I hope I'm wrong and, if I am, I apologise.
    Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 The OB, Jun 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 15, 2013
  5. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm feeling so superficial. The flattened look is going to bug me, just like Window 8 panelled dashboard makes me spontaneously combust. So I'm hoping the iOS 7 'user experience' offsets the aesthetics.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

6. dgstorm

dgstorm
    Expand Collapse
    Editor in Chief
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for all the feedback guys! I originally wrote it over on iPhoneforums.net, and Dan thought it would be a good idea to share it over here too. It was fun to write! I have to say that I am impressed with iOS7 and think it is a great step forward for Apple.

My personal take on it is that it doesn't matter if some/any of the ideas were inspired by stuff on Android or Windows Mobile. In the past, Android and Windows Phone borrowed ideas and inspiration from iOS too. It's a constant evolution, and with each passing generation they help each other grow better. Yes they are competitors, but that doesn't mean we as consumers can't revel in all the great ideas from all of these companies. We, after-all, are the ultimate benefactors of their creativity.

Enjoying and appreciating one product, doesn't mean you automatically have to hate the other. There is room to appreciate both! I personally love technology, and the more success we see from all of these companies means the more cool tech shows up on our doorstep! :D

7. Poisonivy

Poisonivy
    Expand Collapse
    Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hear Hear!

8. Richard Brown

Richard Brown
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Expert

Thanks Received:
    This is an interesting thread. Thanks for starting it with an in depth comparison of iOS 7 and Android 4.2.

I for one can appreciate how ideas and developments can overlap. The pool for innovation isn't bottomless.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

9. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    At least I can start selling my Untethered Jailbreak for iOS/iOS7.1. Only 199.95 plus the cut IPF demands.

No, wait . . . it is still much much early to start reeling in the suckers.

I mean iOS 8.

10. I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I guess it's dependant on your definition of better and which type of Ford your looking at (my reference was referring to the standard). In terms of car, I would class a vehicle as better even superior if it has a better engine, can go faster, better gears, tyres grip, aerodynamics. Just like I think an iPhone is a superior phone to the Android. I PERSONALLY do not like the plastic design on most with the removal batteries etc. it seems like a step back rather than forward to me. I also find Android phones unnecessarily complicated to use. Just my view guys! :)