IOS 6 Update Question About GPS & Maps?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by wvkawboy, Sep 25, 2012.

1. wvkawboy

wvkawboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I have NOT updated to the new IOS6 because I have some concerns. I've got the new iPad 3 4g model but have no 4g plan. I understand that the google maps with my model work as a gps even with no cell service or wifi connection. But, if I do update to ios6, I understand I could only use google maps going through Safari but if I did that, wouldn't I need cell service plan or at least constant wifi connection? Is there ever going to be a google map app for ios6 that will work like now without cell or wifi connection?

Will the Apple Maps App allow the GPS function without service plan or wifi connection on the IOS6 like the Google Maps did on the ios5?

On a side note... Will there be a YouTube App for the IOS6?

I am really unsure whether to do this update or not. :confused:

2. Angemar

Angemar iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am on iPad 2. Did the update and Maps stopped working. Don't do it. I'll have to restore previous version if they don't fix it today
  3. Grytpype

Grytpype Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well done for not updating to iOS 6 !! You'll lose Google Maps if you do, and there'll be no way to get it back – you'll be stuck with the POS Apple version.

Don't fall for the tricks Apple will use to get you to do the iOS update – the new iTunes will initiate the update by the back door, so don't update that either. Also, an update badge in the "Settings" app will try to get you to do the update. Ignore it!
  4. KevinJS

KevinJS Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    This screenshot shows the LandTrackerPro app, with the new iOS6 maps. It's not too bad.

image-1772475144.jpg
  5. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    To use the Web you need a cellular plan. With Google maps you can cache maps to local storage (at you can on android) so you can use those wiwithout any plan if you have gps.
  6. Grytpype

Grytpype Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    To answer the point about GPS without a service plan, take a look at the MotionX GPS HD app. With that, you can download Bing maps for offline use, so you can use them even when you have no WiFi or cell coverage. You can download as many tiles as you like free, limited only by how much space you have on your device.
  7. wvkawboy

wvkawboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I haven't been on iTunes for a while, will iTunes automatically update when I open it again or does it give me the option to or not to?
  8. wvkawboy

wvkawboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    That sounds interesting.
  9. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    iTunes will not automatically update. You need to initiate that yourself, and even if you do so, it will not force you to download ios6. It will just bug you each time you open it.
  10. wvkawboy

wvkawboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yep, but my problem is that IF I update, then Google maps will no longer work.
  11. wvkawboy

wvkawboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    But will this App work without a 4g plan & when out of wifi range?
  12. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    That's right, but the choice is yours. iTunes cannot force you to update, and neither can your iPad. It will stay on its present version until you choose to update. Maps will improve over time, and ios6 won't go away. You have all the time you want to make your decision. Of course, having made the decision to update, there's no going back.
  13. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    No. I tether my iPad to my iPhone when I need Internet on the road.
  14. zstairlessone

zstairlessone iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I may be completely wrong, but here is how I understand it... If you have an iPad without 4G you only get location data from your wireless connection location, if you have 4G you have the GPS and can get the GPS information at all times, what this means, if it is true (I have a 4G model so cannot verify the difference) is that if you have some type of mapping program that can use the GPS you will know on a map where you are without wireless or data service and if you have software that will record the GPS input you can track your movements and overlay them into Google maps or some other mapping software when you come back into data range - if you have the 4G but without the 4G you need to be in constant wireless connection to get location information so you can use it for things like aroundme, yelp or other programs that can use your location for something.

Please let me know if the difference is how I understand it.
  15. KevinJS

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +864 / 0
    3/4G iPads have built in GPS. Wifi only models do not have the GPS chip.
  16. Grytpype

Grytpype Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If you have a WiFi-only iPad, you could use a plug-in GPS unit such as the Bad Elf.

There are other units that connect by Bluetooth. My iPad has 3G so I haven't tried any of these options, but I have heard they work pretty well.

As for other off-line map options, there are plenty of them around, such as Open Street Maps etc. Quality/choice/availability depends on which country you are in, but one way or another you should be able to get good coverage. Unfortunately you can't download Google Maps for off-line use, but Bing is second-best (MUCH better than Apple Maps).

Don't hold your breath waiting for Apple Maps to improve. It will take them YEARS to catch up to where Google is now, even if they throw billions of $$$ at it.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2012
  17. Grytpype

Grytpype Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BTW, if you use the MotionX GPS HD app I mentioned in post #6 above, you can download Bing's satellite maps as well as road/street ones. It is the only app (AFAIK) that lets you download sat maps for offline use.
  18. wvkawboy

wvkawboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the help. IF I choose to always update iTunes to any current version available, will that have any effect on my iPad staying at this current version pre-IOS6? The reason I'm asking is that I have a ton of music in iTunes but have never transferred it to my iPad & I plan to get the new iPod Touch next month primarily for my music collection. Would I still be able to choose a few selected songs from iTunes (at the latest version) to send to my iPad without updating my iPad to IOS6? Please excuse all of my newbie questions... :eek:
  19. wvkawboy

wvkawboy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0

Will this or any other Apple Map work "off-line" after iOS6 update with my iPad3 4g as it does currently with google maps working offline using the internal gps chip?

Thanks..
  20. scifan57

scifan57 Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,545 / 1
    There are various navigation apps that allow you to download maps for offline use with the built in GPS in the wifi+ cellular iPad 3's. I use Navigon, a Garmin app. As to the missing YouTube app in iOS 6, there is a YouTube app in the App Store available as a free download. It's the iPhone version but will work on the iPad. A iPad optimized app is in the works.
    Google also has a maps app in development at this time that will be coming to the App Store.