What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed with the discrimination by apple.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You have to understand why Apple dropped Google for many things. Steve Jobs befriended the founder of Google, put him on the board, and mentored him. Jobs was repaid by Google using their inside knowledge to undercut Apple by bringing out Android after promising not to compete with Apple products. This happened to Jobs on more than one product. Enough so, that when the iPad was developed, Google was locked out of discussions. The dropping of Google maps is one of the last vestiges of the old agreements with them. Apple does not plan on locking out Google, but will never give them any advantages over their competitors.

I know about the bad blood between Apple and Google. That doesn't change the fact that a feature that I use disappears with iOS 6.

bkreso

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A.K said:
I have to say I'm really disappointed after checking out the features available in ios6 yesterday.I'm from India and its like apple doesn't want people from India buying their products!!!
Checked the features available for the new mapping application.
It says only standard maps and location queries are available for India!!!not even directions! And yeah I checked it from
official apple site.I mean come on, if even the simple direction queries are not available what is the use of whole gps stuff!i didn't expect to get the 3d mapping and flyover features here because I know that would be too much toe spect from apple lol. But even simple direction queries !!!
And can some one please help me. Is there any way to use this maps for finding out routes with this standard maps and location queries only without direction services?

I hope the rumours of google releasing new maps app for ios is true or else I'll have to move on from this platform eventually.it will be sad coz I really like my iPad2 and it's almost my pc now. But gps is such an important thing for me.and my iPad is my main gps device(great battery and decent maps,big screen).

Now that I have had a good rant let me also say the iTunes store is bare bones here...just some key notes and so is the iBook stores...just some fancy stuff only.no good books like they advertise in the key notes.I didn't bother much coz there was way around that with kindle and all.
But this mapping stuff can make or break it for me if google doesn't release it's map app.

Actually the price of apple products here in India is more than that in USA and Europe.when I bought my ipad2 one year ago I pad almost 50$ extra. So I think it's really unfair of apple to show such discrimination.this had really put a hold on my plans to get a mac air.

I agree with A.K - the fact that Map had bad support for non US countries has nothing with local goverment regulations. It is just decision done by Apple without taking into consideration that Apple cartograhy is nt that developed as Google maps. They are using only part of the geo map sources, same as Google (which is visible by the same name mistakes) but covering only main cities and directions. It is a sad fact that Apple proves once again attitude of "who cares for rest of you that are not in our focus". At least to have option of using alternative maps. I did upgrade on my iPad, but I will not upgrade iPhone since I rely on maps. Or to invest in other solution. Big minus - Apple !

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple was to invest everything they had into cartography, they would still not catch up to Google maps. Google has many years of data stored which can only be replicated with years of mapping. Apple has teamed up with the other mapping services, but as long as Google continues their aggressive mapping program, catching up is a matter of a lot of time and money. You will note that Google promotes their 'open' system, while making sure that they do not share their mapping data. I do not blame them for that, but most other mapping outfits do share their information.

As for government regulations, any mapping must be approved by the government of the country. Google has created issues in many countries which have led to increased regulations and scrutiny. They may also have arranged some exclusivity deals which keeps other mappers hobbled.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Some win, some lose. Google maps was a big let down for me because it would not do turn by turn on apple devices. I say dump it and get something that will. Apple had to make a calculated decision here, either let iOS lag behind while offering no built in nav (which exists on android) or risk pissing off some users while taking over this function themselves. In the end, it will work out, even though some will suffer as a result. This is the way of things, though. You can't let the old things block the future. If the lack of google maps is that big of a problem, one wonders why one is using an apple product anyway, as you get better google on android. And even on android, Navigon worked better for nav. SV is a nice feature but it never really impacted me to not have it, but Navigon added it to their feature set. Finally, many, many folks still use a dedicated nav device as they are a lot cheaper than most tablets that have 3G/4G. The map caching feature hasn't been around that long so before that you could even do nav without cellular with GM.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some win, some lose. Google maps was a big let down for me because it would not do turn by turn on apple devices. I say dump it and get something that will. Apple had to make a calculated decision here, either let iOS lag behind while offering no built in nav (which exists on android) or risk pissing off some users while taking over this function themselves. In the end, it will work out, even though some will suffer as a result. This is the way of things, though. You can't let the old things block the future. If the lack of google maps is that big of a problem, one wonders why one is using an apple product anyway, as you get better google on android. And even on android, Navigon worked better for nav. SV is a nice feature but it never really impacted me to not have it, but Navigon added it to their feature set. Finally, many, many folks still use a dedicated nav device as they are a lot cheaper than most tablets that have 3G/4G. The map caching feature hasn't been around that long so before that you could even do nav without cellular with GM.

In case you're actually wondering why some people use iDevices even though Android does mapping better: Users clearly don't buy any tablet for one function alone. We all buy for a bundle of functions. There are tradeoffs with every bundle, no matter the manufacturer or platform. Mapping happens to be important to a good number of users, as highlighted in various threads here and lots of coverage elsewhere.

Apple's decision is about what's good for Apple. It might eventually deliver better mapping, but that's neither here nor there when people own and use their tablets now.

For future purchases, we'll all weigh bundles of features on devices that are on sale at that point.

Personally, I like the combo of standalone GPS devices, with Google maps and streetview as a complement, and I plan to keep using them. If Apple eventually catches up, I'll reconsider. That's why I won't upgrade my iPad or iPhone to iOS 6 unless forced to. I'll also be using my Samsung phablet for Google maps, and will more heavily consider Android tablets in future, in addition to the Android devices I've already bought.

Last edited:

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If Apple was to invest everything they had into cartography, they would still not catch up to Google maps. Google has many years of data stored which can only be replicated with years of mapping. Apple has teamed up with the other mapping services, but as long as Google continues their aggressive mapping program, catching up is a matter of a lot of time and money. You will note that Google promotes their 'open' system, while making sure that they do not share their mapping data. I do not blame them for that, but most other mapping outfits do share their information.

As for government regulations, any mapping must be approved by the government of the country. Google has created issues in many countries which have led to increased regulations and scrutiny. They may also have arranged some exclusivity deals which keeps other mappers hobbled.

If it were true that government regs have limited Apple maps, all the more reason why users would prefer Google maps then.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the major issues are more with Apple maps not having a program to make the data work well. Apple procured a lot of raw data from TomTom and other mapping groups. The problem is that they did not do a good job of taking the information and sorting it out properly. This can be fixed, and should have before it was sent to the public. However, without knowing the inner workings of Apple, a decision could have been made for reasons we are not aware of. It is future mappng that Apple has to decide what to do. Do we need two large groups driving around taking videos of streets and people. What is needed is a consortium that would do street level mapping and give it to all mapping services for a fee.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most of the major issues are more with Apple maps not having a program to make the data work well. Apple procured a lot of raw data from TomTom and other mapping groups. The problem is that they did not do a good job of taking the information and sorting it out properly. This can be fixed, and should have before it was sent to the public. However, without knowing the inner workings of Apple, a decision could have been made for reasons we are not aware of. It is future mappng that Apple has to decide what to do. Do we need two large groups driving around taking videos of streets and people. What is needed is a consortium that would do street level mapping and give it to all mapping services for a fee.

I think it unlikely a consortium would be viable now without major financial commitments from prospective clients, and I think any company with that kind of money to invest would rather go with an entity that's already been doing mapping, rather than starting from scratch or sharing mapping resources. Part of what's going to differentiate devices is content such as maps.

With Siri and now mapping, Apple seems to be lowering the bar on what it delivers to users.

Last edited:

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:

That's what I now miss... The StreetView function of GoogleMaps. It was such a great tool to arrive some address and verify just which building I had to go to or I'd often preview the look of the street as I'd be driving along it should I have never been there before... I guess I'll be buying a cheap Android Tablet for that job now and installing it in my vehicle purely as a "mapper".... Sure, I guess Apple will come up with all kinds of extras to do wonderous things with their TomTom data but you know, I've owned and used TomToms as well but found Google Maps just had that EDGE from the colours and font to the aerial shot sharpness (resolution) over the TomTom so I soon found I was using my iPad or iPhone4 and the TomTom ended up in the glove compartment with the other junk...

Finally, it would seem to be crazy to have to "re-invent the wheel" and waste Worldly resources to have to go out and redo StreetView videoing or flyovers for better res images when it's already being managed and done WELL. There must be a better way and it may take Apple to work something out with Google. If it doesn't happen then what else will stop working on my iPad or iPhone4 that I so enjoy but will only serve to have me go to the Darkside and the little robot icon...

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One of the first things I did when I bought myfirst iPad was to find map alternatives to the native app. While it has its place, for me, Google Maps was useless. I rarely used it, and never could get street view to work on the iPad. Besides the animosity between Apple and Google, there was a lot of capabilities that Google Maps had, that was only available on Android. Apple had no real choice but to drop GM, but I do hope they get the bugs out soon, like they normally do.

MorrisTheCat

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
One of the first things I did when I bought myfirst iPad was to find map alternatives to the native app. While it has its place, for me, Google Maps was useless. I rarely used it, and never could get street view to work on the iPad. Besides the animosity between Apple and Google, there was a lot of capabilities that Google Maps had, that was only available on Android. Apple had no real choice but to drop GM, but I do hope they get the bugs out soon, like they normally do.

Another thing with os6 is that my iPhone4 now has a new UGLY as hell keypad to dial from. I know this is an iPad Forum but hey everyone, what on earth has been going on with the powers at Apple? This is certainly turning me into considering jail breaking my kit or actually turning to Android completely after being a huge fan of Apple for so long. The only assumption I have is that it opens the way for KeyPad Apps sales. (Which is good business I guess) but the old adage 'if something isn't broke, why fix it' seems to fit.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the new iPhone keypad is a great improvement over the old one. It will have much better visibility than the old one.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the new iPhone keypad is a great improvement over the old one. It will have much better visibility than the old one.

Oh, I didn't know there will be a new keypad. Interesting. I can't wait to get one...but not until October!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
skimonkey said:
Oh, I didn't know there will be a new keypad. Interesting. I can't wait to get one...but not until October!

Here's what it looks like.

image-4255212419.jpg

Most reactions

Latest posts