What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Disappointed with the discrimination by apple.

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have to say I'm really disappointed after checking out the features available in ios6 yesterday.I'm from India and its like apple doesn't want people from India buying their products!!!
Checked the features available for the new mapping application.
It says only standard maps and location queries are available for India!!!not even directions! And yeah I checked it from
official apple site.I mean come on, if even the simple direction queries are not available what is the use of whole gps stuff!i didn't expect to get the 3d mapping and flyover features here because I know that would be too much toe spect from apple lol. But even simple direction queries !!!
And can some one please help me. Is there any way to use this maps for finding out routes with this standard maps and location queries only without direction services?

I hope the rumours of google releasing new maps app for ios is true or else I'll have to move on from this platform eventually.it will be sad coz I really like my iPad2 and it's almost my pc now. But gps is such an important thing for me.and my iPad is my main gps device(great battery and decent maps,big screen).

Now that I have had a good rant let me also say the iTunes store is bare bones here...just some key notes and so is the iBook stores...just some fancy stuff only.no good books like they advertise in the key notes.I didn't bother much coz there was way around that with kindle and all.
But this mapping stuff can make or break it for me if google doesn't release it's map app.

Actually the price of apple products here in India is more than that in USA and Europe.when I bought my ipad2 one year ago I pad almost 50$ extra. So I think it's really unfair of apple to show such discrimination.this had really put a hold on my plans to get a mac air.

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A.K said:
I have to say I'm really disappointed after checking out the features available in ios6 yesterday.I'm from India and its like apple doesn't want people from India buying their products!!!
Checked the features available for the new mapping application.
It says only standard maps and location queries are available for India!!!not even directions! And yeah I checked it from
official apple site.I mean come on, if even the simple direction queries are not available what is the use of whole gps stuff!i didn't expect to get the 3d mapping and flyover features here because I know that would be too much toe spect from apple lol. But even simple direction queries !!!
And can some one please help me. Is there any way to use this maps for finding out routes with this standard maps and location queries only without direction services?

I hope the rumours of google releasing new maps app for ios is true or else I'll have to move on from this platform eventually.it will be sad coz I really like my iPad2 and it's almost my pc now. But gps is such an important thing for me.and my iPad is my main gps device(great battery and decent maps,big screen).

Now that I have had a good rant let me also say the iTunes store is bare bones here...just some key notes and so is the iBook stores...just some fancy stuff only.no good books like they advertise in the key notes.I didn't bother much coz there was way around that with kindle and all.
But this mapping stuff can make or break it for me if google doesn't release it's map app.

I can't answer your specific question about the new Apple mapping features available in India, but I can say that in most cases, the abscence of apps and iOS features in certain countries is due more to local Government restrictions rather than a decision on Apple's part.(ie: no FaceTime in Saudi Arabia)

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well the mapping device for every other platforms ...Nokia maps,google maps are completely available with every features.and as far as I know there is no restriction for I tunes and I books here.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
A.K said:
Well the mapping device for every other platforms ...Nokia maps,google maps are completely available with every features.and as far as I know there is no restriction for I tunes and I books here.

The apple maps are quite new, maybe they just haven't had the time yet to add all the features to the maps for every country yet?

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I'm willing to give it the chance of doubt.so I'm not going to update to ios6 right away. But with the way apple handles the services
Around here in regards to application and content availability I don't have much hope.
I know the apple experience in Europe /USA is superb with all the features available .like full iTunes and iBooks .but what we get here is a extremely well made device which is smooth but majority of native applications is not of much use.
Thank god we get full version of AppStore atleast.
I have never used an android device even though all my family members are using droids.one thing I appreciate in that is u get the same things 99% of the time.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'd imagine that Apple, like most companies with sense, "discriminates" according to how best to get the most return for its investment. Whatever countries it can best profit from, it probably will pursue in similar order, factoring in possible user base, ease of access to mapping info, languages, red tape, costs and difficulty of doing business, demographics, etc., for instance.

This link is to an April article, and shows that Apple's profits are distributed globally, so the company can hardly be discriminating:

Apple's Monster Quarter in 4 Charts - Derek Thompson - The Atlantic

In many other articles online, China seems to be its fastest-growing market in Asia, for instance.

If investing in mapping in India makes sense for Apple, I'd figure that it would be pursuing that. If not, then it's probably not worth Apple's investment yet.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I looked up India's car ownership rate per capita, which turns out to be quite low relative to developed countries'. If I were going to try to prioritize mapping services by countries or regions, that would be one of my considerations.

Note that India is No. 132 on this list:

List of countries by vehicles per capita - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I were going to try to sell mapping by countries, India would be low on my list given this kind of info.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I understand that there is, or soon will be, a google maps app available for IOS6. If the new apple maps does not include the mapping data needed, I would try another.

Hopefully, we can remove the apple maps app from the device if we find we don't like it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hopefully, we can remove the apple maps app from the device if we find we don't like it.

Not a chance I'm afraid. Apple never allow the removal of stock apps from IOS, and the new Maps app on IOS6 is no exception.

You'll just have to hide it away in a folder titled "Unused" like everyone else ;)

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not a chance I'm afraid. Apple never allow the removal of stock apps from IOS, and the new Maps app on IOS6 is no exception.

You'll just have to hide it away in a folder titled "Unused" like everyone else ;)

Lol. Mine is actually labeled "Unused Crap."

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you found a way of getting newsstand into there?

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Yes, I read on this forum how to. But I killed out all my subscription apps just in case, because I want to avoid complications. I don't use the apps, because I prefer to read on the websites. So my empty newsstand shelf is in my crap folder, lol.

OP
A

A.K

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I understand ur logic of profitability for the company.but this is the logic of the consumer . I paid the same amount of money and just because of my ethnicity is different I shouldnt get the essential features. Hey I'm not complaining about not getting the 3d view or even voice guided navigation. Just the basic direction queries! If u think that is too much of a demand well...
And another thing...if google can do it why can't apple?same principle applies to both companies in developing the maps right?the cars and per capita and all.
I was using the turn by turn voice guided feature of google maps in Samsung galaxy ace today when I had to go to an unknown place.thats a midrange stuff.
And i own an iPad and to know if I upgrade to ios6 I'll lose even the basic direction queries which will make the gps useless...and people here are justifying the company in taking such a decision when it's rival if offering same features plus more even in lowend devices!!!
Ok...

Most reactions

Latest posts