What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS 6 size? And itunes match stream?

nickb67

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if IOS 6 size is bigger than IOS 5, having only a 16gb ipad, I am always having to try hard to keep free space on the ipad, when you buy a brand new ipad a few gbs are already taken with the operating system etc, will IOS 6 take up more than 5 did?
Also can anyone confirm if the itunes match can now stream instead of download only?

darnice

iPF Noob
Reaction score
760 MB on an IPAD 3

depends on the product, i saw an Iphone 4 and it was 699 MB

cwinter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
760 MB on an IPAD 3

depends on the product, i saw an Iphone 4 and it was 699 MB

My guess is that the 760 MB indicated during the download on the iPad 3 is not the true size on disk once installed. The 760 MB is likely compressed for download and the final toll on the device will be larger. Best I can tell, after the update, I have just as much space available as before; hence, the size on disk seems similar to iOS 5.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Between 1.0 and 1.5GB of an iDevices flash memory is reserved in a System Partition which is used for OS and stock apps. Around 800MB of it gets used depending on the device and version of IOS. The System Partition is read-only (except when being created originally), but can be made read-write via Jailbreaking.

The system partition won't be expanded when moving from IOS5 to IOS6 on iPad as far as I can tell, so you should not notice any difference in your available storage.
In other words, don't sweat it ;)

Most reactions

Latest posts