What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iOS 6 Maps Turn-by-Turn Navigation and Flyover Requires iPhone 4S or iPad 2 or Later

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
7127-ios-6-maps-turn-turn.JPG

AppleInsider reports today that two of the more exciting features of iOS 6’s new Maps app –turn-by-turn navigation and Flyover– will only be available on the iPhone 4S and the iPad 2 and new iPad (in fact iOS in its entirety will not be available on the original iPad). The same also applies to Siri, although that will only be available for the newest iPad as well as the iPhone 4S. The turn-by-turn navigation feature includes spoken directions, real-time traffic updates and 3D views, which presumably are just all too much for the iPhone 4 and iPhone 3GS, and don’t even think about the old iPad! The same goes for the Flyover feature of the app, which uses advanced 3D mapping data. AppleInsider also notes that Flyover function will only work in those cities where 3D models are available. Google may be able to take advantage of this when it brings in its new Maps app, complete with 3D, if it has the technology to make it compatible with the original iPad and the iPhone 4 and 3GS. Even if it’s not the default Maps app on iOS anymore, there’s nothing to stop people with older devices, or indeed with any device, using it as their Maps app of choice.

Source: iOS 6 Maps turn-by-turn requires iPhone 4S, iPad 2 or later

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Question concerning use. The answer may not be available yet. If you have an Ipad 3 wifi only, for instance, I wonder if you can set up route and use offline. I have a friend that just got Gen 3 without 3/4G and I don't know what to tell her. Some of the GPS apps, even one of the inexpensive ones, has this. You can't change routes, etc. but you do have voice turn by turn on the route you specified while online

I have 3G and we just got 4G/LTE so I'm looking forward to using it as demoed.

Diane

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is unlikely that turn-by-turn will work without a GPS. The other location methods are just not accurate enough; especially when you leave the urban areas.

Now, whether the Maps app will be smart enough to recognize one of the few GPS accessories for the iPad and activate turn-by-turn? That might happen; but I wouldn't bet on it.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just read today that you must be connected to the internet 3/4G to use Maps whereas Google map will have offline use. This would require, I'm guessing, maps being loaded to device and prerouted as some of the GPS apps work. Yes, I can see without GPS it would be difficult. Personally, having the GPS functionality on my Ipad 3 64GB 3/4G has been one of the nicest parts of the upgrade from my Ipad One wifi only, even if I find I use very little data (12% this month with 3 days to go because we have so much wifi coverage in our area)

Ab1112131415

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Dear Tim,
Thank you for your lovelly letter on your website.
But could you please kindly allow me to me have my old maps back? Your version of it is just plainly dull and limited. Please please please?
There is a saying that "if you give something and then take it back, you will wind up in hell".
Is there any way to go back to os5 with the better Maps? Please please please?
Thank you!

"To our customers,

At Apple, we strive to make world-class products that deliver the best experience possible to our customers. With the launch of our new Maps last week, we fell short on this commitment. We are extremely sorry for the frustration this has caused our customers and we are doing everything we can to make Maps better.

We launched Maps initially with the first version of iOS. As time progressed, we wanted to provide our customers with even better Maps including features such as turn-by-turn directions, voice integration, Flyover and vector-based maps. In order to do this, we had to create a new version of Maps from the ground up.

There are already more than 100 million iOS devices using the new Apple Maps, with more and more joining us every day. In just over a week, iOS users with the new Maps have already searched for nearly half a billion locations. The more our customers use our Maps the better it will get and we greatly appreciate all of the feedback we have received from you.

While we’re improving Maps, you can try alternatives by downloading map apps from the App Store like Bing, MapQuest and Waze, or use Google or Nokia maps by going to their websites and creating an icon on your home screen to their web app.

Everything we do at Apple is aimed at making our products the best in the world. We know that you expect that from us, and we will keep working non-stop until Maps lives up to the same incredibly high standard.

Tim Cook
Apple’s CEO"

Most reactions

Latest posts