iOS 5- what would you like to see for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by Gunny008, Dec 18, 2010.

1. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    However . . . if the site is not using any Flash whatsoever, there is less to worry about. And most people will turn on Flash because why visit a site if you do not want to view Flash content?

So Flash does draw power because in some cases there is no other way to view the site except disabled.

Perhaps the real question is this: how much does Flash impact battery life? Perhaps it is a non-issue?

Bob

2. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Here is a question for anyone to answer (WARNING: This message contains Flash content)

Mr. Jobs made such a great case for not allowing Flash, so why didn't he ban Flash from his Laptops and Desktops and SunCamel or RainDuck or SnowCougar or whatever Apple's OS is called?

Bob

3. TravsiPhoneHelp

TravsiPhoneHelp
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Jailbreak does it all

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

4. Bob Maxey

Bob Maxey
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Indeed it does.

Bob

5. Thphilli

Thphilli
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    All Android tablets have "on demand". Just did a huge rundown of Android browsers, 13 of them actually, benchmarking and comparing them and every one of them that supported flash had the option for on-demand. There really isn't any stats needed. If its not loading flash, then it cannot be using more battery life. If you are watching a flash video, then you would also be watching an HTML5 video and the battery life during that playback would be very similar, with MAYBE the html5 using a tiny bit less, but we are talking miniscule amounts. The way iOS people talk, its like having flash installed will mean an hour browsing the internet and your battery is dead.

6. Thphilli

Thphilli
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    So you are saying HTML5 uses less power because you literally wont be able to view the content? Yea, well if that is your argument, that flash uses more battery life because you are able to view web pages that you simply cannot without flash, then of course thats the case.

And the reason to have flash "on-demand" is that you run into flash video ALL OF THE TIME in news articles or links from a site like "reddit.com", etc. When you see that there is video content, tap on the flash box and flash is enabled and content loads and plays.

7. Thphilli

Thphilli
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    So you are stating that the simple act of having flash installed even though no flash content is loading on a web page means that extra CPU cycles are being used? What are they being used for?

8. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    You guys are saying Flash uses no extra energy when not being used is your reasoning why it doesn't use more energy? Really? If I don't start my car it gets better gas mileage than if I start and drive it but if I want to get anywhere in my car I need to start it.

Support Our Troops!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet

9. DaveSt

DaveSt
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    I think you are missing the point here. The point is that there are ways to bring Flash to mobile platforms that can balance excessive power demands with being able to view certain content. The argument isn't about energy use of Flash versus any other type of content, it is that there are ways to enable Flash usage without completely killing a mobile device. On demand Flash usage seems to me to make a lot of sense. I don't really want to have a bunch of Flash ads running on my iPad, but at the same time I would like to be able to view some Flash content that is completely unavailable to me natively on my device right now.

10. Mountainbikermark

Mountainbikermark
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Gotcha. Hybrid Flash. Now I understand what y'all are saying. Thanks

Support Our Troops!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from wherever I'm at right now via my Apple tablet