1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

iOS 5 Update Problems Flood Apple Support Forums

Discussion in 'User News Submissions' started by info, Oct 12, 2011.

1. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  2. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +634 / 0
    All the errors are related to overloading of the servers. Even the mighty Apple can't cope with millions of simultaneous users trying to download 700MB+ files!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Yes, it certainly seems that way, people want iOS 5 badly. Hopefully, things will be back to normal soon.
  4. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    No excuse for this fiasco. It's not as if Apple didn't know how many devices they've sold. It's not as if they don't have an email address for virtually every owner of an iPhone, iPod Touch, and iPad. It's not as if they could not have staged the updates for groups of users over a period of two weeks by enabling specific devices to be updated in an orderly queue. And it's not as if they could not have provided more informative error messages when users encountered problems. Any question about why enterprise level computing is still something Apple does not understand should be put to rest by this ridiculous situation.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. michaelkjchang

michaelkjchang iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am downloading, it says 5 hours remaning (79.4 MB only)! I don't think it is right.
  6. kitkat3709

kitkat3709 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I tried my phone, but got a could not restore error at the end of the backup. Since I'm going on a trip tomorrow, I will not try again until I return next week. Can't risk it.

Sent from my iPad2 32 3G Black :)
  7. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    Yes you are right. Please switch to Android. As fast as you can
  8. GoPackGo

GoPackGo iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23 / 0
    I would not recommend this. :p
  9. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    A "love it or leave it" mentality is hardly an appropriate response to the mess Apple has created.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    What we don't hear about are the tens of millions of people who updated just fine. It's always the noisy minority who capture headlines.

Our Enterprise Support Team has been working with our customers on upgrading since the release was first available and we are seeing less than 1/2 of 1 percent failure rate. Our database shows more than 280,000 customers have upgraded on their own since the release. We will be contacting everyone thru email who has not updated by next week before we publish code that requires iOS 5, but all in all this has been a very smooth upgrade for our customers so far.

Windows updates require nearly 80% hands on support for our staff in comparison, and every single one is a cluster-truck...

So relax. It's not all doom and gloom out there, and as for Enterprise support, the platform is doing just fine.

-t
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Lovemyipad2

Lovemyipad2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I wish I would of read the threads in the forum before I started about an hour ago... Started at 14 hours now says has 6 more to go. Guess I won't be using my phone tonight, luckily I still have my iPad.
  12. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Sorry, but I'm skeptical. While it's certainly true that forums are always more likely to be an arena for complaints than for praise, it's also true that they are frequented by users with a greater than average knowledge of the hardware/software that defines the forum. And a review of the various forums including Apple's own support sites suggest a massive number of failures. In my case and in the case of several of my friends, there was nothing unusual about the environments we used for the update. Everything was "up to date." Followed the instructions to the letter. And ten hours later I'm still waiting for my iPad apps to be restored.

Here's a sample of the reactions.

iOS 5 Launch Becomes Update Disaster - Mobility - Smartphones - Informationweek

iOS 5 Release: Error 3200 and How to Fix Apple Upgrade Problems - Tech & Trend

Some users face problems upgrading to iOS 5 | Mobile | Macworld

iOS 5 breaks down upon arrival for some mobile users | ZDNet

Error 3200: iOS 5 Upgrade Attempts Thrash Apple Servers

Apple’s iOS 5 Error 3200: Now Trending Worldwide | TechCrunch
  13. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    As someone in the software business my whole career, I've never bought into the sky is falling approach to reporting problems.

Good news does not make headlines.

I will go by our experience over the last 12 hours rather than sensational journalism.

By the way, 22,467 more newly upgraded customers have logged into our servers running iOS 5 since my last post.

-t
  14. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    By the way, I am also sorry to hear you are having problems, however my admin just finished her iPhone 4 update. She started about an hour ago and is not particularly computer savvy. She did install iTunes 10.5 yesterday so that was finished, but she did the iOS update all by herself this morning, no problem.

-t
  15. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0
    I've seen plenty of complaints and problem posts. I'm going to hold off on iOS 5 till the mess is cleaned up.
  16. michaelkjchang

michaelkjchang iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I tried several times and got network timeout error. My network works fine. How to correct this problem. By the way, I connect the router by using ethernet cable instead of wireless, hopefully, it can be faster. My os is window vista and the anti virus is Kaspersky.
  17. info

info iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    I believe that this is the wisest course for those that have not already jumped in. Things may go smoothly for many but there is a higher probability of running into server problems etc. with such a highly anticipated upgrade. I won't touch it for at least a week. :)
  18. Kaykaykay

Kaykaykay iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441 / 0

Apple should've done a better job coordinating and staggering, considering this was a big upgrade, and they're trying to sell the cloud. A messy start adds to user skepticism and hesitation about cloud storage.

With Friday's 4S launch, things probably will get worse before they get better.

I'm not in a rush. My iStuff is working fine for now.
  19. ipdf1997

ipdf1997 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I am totally non computer savvy. I have been running iOS 5 since around 2 EST. Took less than 20 or so minutes to download. I also had to do iTunes. I am sure there are plenty of easy success stories.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. thewitt

thewitt iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +70 / 0
    The 4S is already running iOS 5 so no updating will need to occur.

I don't understand the delays in downloading though. I just finished another update on my development iPod touch. I did it on a Mac not a PC, but I cannot see why that would make any difference.

Total upgrade time including backup, download install and restore, 22 minutes by stopwatch.

The installed apps and music on this one are very few - just enough for testing - but it still had to complete all the steps.

-t