What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IOS-10?

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Perhaps I am a bit late to the game so to speak, but has Apple stopped supporting iPad Gen-3? Is 9.3.5 the latest and last release?

...Ken

OP
K

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I sure hope they offer the latest IOS eventually.

It appears that I have one important app that was recently updated to work with IOS-10. But now that app is not working correctly under IOS-9.3.5,. Of course I am also hoping the app developer can fix this from their side.

It seems rather poor to me on Apple's part should they be abandoning the iPad-3 already. It is not that old.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The iPad 3 was released in March 2012, 5 years ago.

iPad 2 and 3 will not receive the latest software, simply because they can't handle the features.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I sure hope they offer the latest IOS eventually.

It appears that I have one important app that was recently updated to work with IOS-10. But now that app is not working correctly under IOS-9.3.5,. Of course I am also hoping the app developer can fix this from their side.

It seems rather poor to me on Apple's part should they be abandoning the iPad-3 already. It is not that old.
Apple won't release an iOS version for an older device if the hardware won't properly support it, resulting in a poor user experience. You can rest assured that Apple did indeed perform internal testing of iOS 10 on the iPad 3, with an unsatisfactory result. The next iOS release, this September, will be iOS 11 and will be 64 bit only, meaning that the iPad 4 won't be getting the update.

OP
K

KenB123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad 3 was released in March 2012, 5 years ago..

Wow! Time flies when you're having fun.:) Doesn't seem that long, but I do believe you. I still like my iPad-3. Does what I need it to do quite well (except for this one app).. Unfortunately I don't care for the prices in buying a new again. :(

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Wow! Time flies when you're having fun.:) Doesn't seem that long, but I do believe you. I still like my iPad-3. Does what I need it to do quite well (except for this one app).. Unfortunately I don't care for the prices in buying a new again. :(

Make sure you check out the price of the newest iPad. It's significantly cheaper than last year's models. Also, you can probably pick up a used iPad Air 1 or 2 for some saving. Just be careful if you purchase directly from an individual. Besides the scams, sellers aren't always aware of the steps they need to take before selling.

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple won't release an iOS version for an older device if the hardware won't properly support it, resulting in a poor user experience. You can rest assured that Apple did indeed perform internal testing of iOS 10 on the iPad 3, with an unsatisfactory result. The next iOS release, this September, will be iOS 11 and will be 64 bit only, meaning that the iPad 4 won't be getting the update.

How do you know that the next iOS release is in September and will be 11 ?? Just curious.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
How do you know that the next iOS release is in September and will be 11 ?? Just curious.
It's not 100% positive but for the last several years Apple has released the newest version of iOS in September, about a week after the special event at which they announce the new iPhones.

Last edited:

brixtonboy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Know one really knows as Apple keeps there plans close to their chest. However reading rumours about delays on screen design and supply, maybe the 8 might not be ready in September.
Therefore do you think they would bring out iOS 11 or wait?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Know one really knows as Apple keeps there plans close to their chest. However reading rumours about delays on screen design and supply, maybe the 8 might not be ready in September.
Therefore do you think they would bring out iOS 11 or wait?
The iOS 11 beta program will start just after WWDC in June, with a number of beta updates throughout the summer. iOS 11 will almost certainly be ready for public release by about the middle of September. I can't see Apple sitting on the release. Releasing iOS 11 on time if the iPhone 8 is delayed would simply mean that those features requiring the iPhone 8 to function, wouldn't appear until the iPhone 8 is released.

Most reactions

Latest posts