What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPAD Restore?

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi all,
The old IPAD is getting and has been really slow. Locks up scrolling up/down and so on.
Can't figure why. Been going into the same sites for years but it keeps getting slower??

Anyway........Would like to try a "restore" again but the IOS version is only 9.3.5 as everyone knows.
Will that cause a problem while doing an I Tunes or an I Cloud restore??
Thanks!! Ken

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Having an older device with an earlier OS as it’s limit will not be a problem when you want to restore it.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi all,
The old IPAD is getting and has been really slow. Locks up scrolling up/down and so on.
Can't figure why. Been going into the same sites for years but it keeps getting slower??

Anyway........Would like to try a "restore" again but the IOS version is only 9.3.5 as everyone knows.
Thanks!! Ken

Hi Ken - well, you have an iPad which was released in 2011, so 'old' technology - tell us how much storage is on the device and how much is available (General -> About); also, have your tried a 'Reset' - if not familiar w/ the procedure, hold down both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release and allow the iPad to reboot (this will do no harm) - finally, how is the battery? Dave :)

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Ken - well, you have an iPad which was released in 2011, so 'old' technology - tell us how much storage is on the device and how much is available (General -> About); also, have your tried a 'Reset' - if not familiar w/ the procedure, hold down both the HOME & ON-OFF buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release and allow the iPad to reboot (this will do no harm) - finally, how is the battery? Dave :)

Yep, 2011 Dave,
I've done the reset thing several times in the past, most recently about a week ago. It has 5.8G left and 21.7G used.
My wife has an Air2 which just zips along on our wi-fi. I use Ally Bank as a test and her Air2 zips right into the site while my IPAD2 plods along like it does for most sites. Scrolling up/down is the worst!
Battery charges like it did in 2011, same speed charging and pretty much the same discharging......Thanks!! Ken

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yep, 2011 Dave,
I've done the reset thing several times in the past, most recently about a week ago. It has 5.8G left and 21.7G used.
My wife has an Air2 which just zips along on our wi-fi. I use Ally Bank as a test and her Air2 zips right into the site while my IPAD2 plods along like it does for most sites. Scrolling up/down is the worst!
Battery charges like it did in 2011, same speed charging and pretty much the same discharging......

Hi again Ken - I bought an iPad 2 in 2011, then went to the Air 2 in 2014, and am about to purchase a new one as a holiday present to myself (the battery on my Air 2 is prematurely dying) - you seem to have adequate 'free' storage, so likely not an issue. But if your compare the specs of those two iPads (Source), RAM is 512 MB vs. 2 GB, CPU is faster and the latter has additional processing power (GPU & motion) - like a foot race of a 20 vs. 60 year old - ;)

Another question - have you tried your iPad 2 on other Wi-Fi networks; if not, might be instructive. Also, you could re-power your home network, i.e. remove power (switch or cord) from your modem and router (might be in the same unit), wait, then repower the modem first and router second - probably will not help but worth a try. Good luck - Dave :)

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi again Ken - I bought an iPad 2 in 2011, then went to the Air 2 in 2014, and am about to purchase a new one as a holiday present to myself (the battery on my Air 2 is prematurely dying) - you seem to have adequate 'free' storage, so likely not an issue. But if your compare the specs of those two iPads (Source), RAM is 512 MB vs. 2 GB, CPU is faster and the latter has additional processing power (GPU & motion) - like a foot race of a 20 vs. 60 year old - ;)

Another question - have you tried your iPad 2 on other Wi-Fi networks; if not, might be instructive. Also, you could re-power your home network, i.e. remove power (switch or cord) from your modem and router (might be in the same unit), wait, then repower the modem first and router second - probably will not help but worth a try. Good luck - Dave :)

Think I need an AIR2 like the Wife Dave!! She still has the old IP2 like mine. We got them at the same time. Now hers is left for one of the nieces to play with! Re-boot the router pretty much once every two weeks, no change.
What I dont get is, I'm not going into "new" sites, just the same old stuff from years ago. Ally, Vanguard, USA Today and so on. All slowing down.

Yeah, I take it places with incredible speed systems. No change.

Just grabbed that old IPAD2 the wife had and tried it on Ally Bank!!..."same old" slow stuff as my IP2 I'm using now!! If the cases were off, I would have thought it was "this one"!! MIne.

Time for a new one I guess. I can't figure out why this "new" IPAD they came out with doesn't have the reflective screen? It's missing something else but I can't remember what. I know the "chip" is a faster one, AX6 or something? Seems Apple is going backwards?
Ken

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
. . .
Time for a new one I guess. I can't figure out why this "new" IPAD they came out with doesn't have the reflective screen? It's missing something else but I can't remember what. I know the "chip" is a faster one, AX6 or something? Seems Apple is going backwards?
Ken

They did it to make the entry level iPad cheaper, both in price and repair costs. It’s significantly cheaper to replace a broken screen on the new iPad than the iPad Air models. Or so the theory goes.

OP
Kenworth

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They did it to make the entry level iPad cheaper, both in price and repair costs. It’s significantly cheaper to replace a broken screen on the new iPad than the iPad Air models. Or so the theory goes.

After looking at this IP2 screen since 2011, I've gotten pretty used to it. Just concerned about getting something I'll regret.
I see the 10.5in pro has the usual screen!
Ken

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The new 9.7” iPad’s screen is significantly better than the iPad 2. It is only inferior to the iPad Air screen in that the screen and glass have been separated (again), so that the screen is slightly further behind the glass. The color and resolution are still good.

On the other hand, if you can afford the 10.5” iPad Pro, it’s a significanlty better device in almost every way. My usual advice is to buy the best iPad (or other computing device) you can afford at the time. You will almost always get the difference back in the long run, due to the longer usable life of the product.

The Pro models also have several feature not available on the 9.7” iPad. Whether those will be useful to you depends on how you use the iPad. Keep in mind that what you use a device for is often expanded when you find youreself owning a device that can do more.

One warning. Upgrading is hazardous to your wallet. It’s hard to go back to less capable devices once you get used to new features. You may find yourself with the irresistable urge to upgrade everthing else in your iOS stable.

Note: I often break the (best you can afford) rule when buying secondary devices, or computers with a single application/purpose. In the first case, I may never replace the device. In the second case, if the device does what it was bought for (say a packet radio terminal) updating the software and device may never be necessary.

Last edited:

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
After looking at this IP2 screen since 2011, I've gotten pretty used to it. Just concerned about getting something I'll regret.
I see the 10.5in pro has the usual screen!
Ken

Hi Ken - well, TP has composed an excellent post comparing the current iPad models, their entry level unit vs. the Pro - as stated previously, I'm planning to replace my iPad Air 2 during the holiday season, but am also debating on 'what' to purchase - below are just two for comments, i.e. the 'iPad' w/ 128 GB storage (Wi-Fi only - don't need cellular) - a 64 GB model is not an option - price is $529 w/ Apple Care - the screen bothers me as discussed, and for me this is a 'lateral move' from my iPad Air 2 (I believe Apple's objective w/ this model).

Now if I buy a Pro, I'd want the 10.5" model, and would like to have 128 GB storage which is not offered, so should one stick w/ 64 GB (which is on my current iPad Air 2 and only 2/3 filled) or pay an extra $150 for the 256 GB one which I don't really need for my purposes (this will not be a laptop replacement) - SO, Pro w/ 64 GB + Apple Care is $749 (or $900 if the storage is upgraded to 256 GB) - some major price differences, obviously - hard to decide at the moment. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.45.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-04 at 6.48.33 PM.png

Apple sheep 217

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Thanks!! Ken

Most reactions

Latest posts