What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

VPN which is compatible with IOS 9.3.5?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarterUSM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone recommend a VPN provider which is compatible with IOS 9.3.5?

I recently installed Ivacy on the grounds that it ticked most of the boxes I wanted from a VPN. Unfortunately, when I tried to download a programme from the BBC Iplayer on my tablet (on which IOS 9.3.5 is installed), I was unsuccessful.

I have investigated the possibility of installing the latest version of IOS on my tablet, but the option to do so is not appearing (I have followed the procedures as described by Apple and other websites, but every time I attempt to do so, the message ‘Your Ipad software is up to date, etc. etc…...’.)

(As an aside – a lot of new apps appear to be incompatible with IOS 9.3.5, which makes it doubly frustrating that I can’t upgrade. Apple’s cunning plan appears to be that they expect you to bear the expense of buying one of their new tablets).

As I cannot upgrade from IOS 9.3.5, I’m now looking for a VPN provider which is compatible with this OS. Can anyone make any suggestions, or offer any advice?

Many thanks in anticipation.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi

Can anyone recommend a VPN provider which is compatible with IOS 9.3.5?........................

I have investigated the possibility of installing the latest version of IOS on my tablet, but the option to do so is not appearing (I have followed the procedures as described by Apple and other websites, but every time I attempt to do so, the message ‘Your Ipad software is up to date, etc. etc…...’.)

(As an aside – a lot of new apps appear to be incompatible with IOS 9.3.5, which makes it doubly frustrating that I can’t upgrade........................

Hi Carter... - welcome to the forum! :) From the comments above about being 'stuck' on iOS 9.x, I'm assuming that you have one of the older iPads in the blue box below - correct?

I'm using PIA as my VPN and their description from the App Store is that at least iOS 11.x is needed - I suspect true for many apps, including VPNs - you'll have to continue searching (or someone here will make a compatible suggestion) or consider buying a newer iPad that supports the latest iPadOS - Dave
Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 11.40.31 AM.png

Last edited:

rovingus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have used Nord VPN for over 3 years and it works fine on my iPad 2 with 9.3.5 and on my iPad Pro and iPhone 11 using 13.5. Hope this helps.
Dick

rovingus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well durn. Sorry about that. It shows that it is type IKEv2 on my old iPad3. iPad Pro shows NordVPN IKE. They seem easy to communicate with on their website and may offer a solution for you

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One of the nice things the App Store does (if the developer allows it) is keep older versions apps available for those that purchased them. That means you can re-download compatible versions of an app (that you previously purchased) on your older iPad. It will do so automatically, detecting what iOS version your iPad is running.

But, there is no way to purchase an older version of the app. If you don’t already own it, then only the current version is available (or not).

Most of the time, this would keep people from accidentally purchasing an older app that does not have all the features described in the App Store. Occasionally, like for this, it makes it difficult to purchase the app you need.

It should be understood that VPN apps are mostly a convenience. You can set up a VPN directly in Settings. What you mostly loose is convinience, quick access to turn it on/off, and usage tracking features.

chapmansean

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One option you could consider is using a proxy service. It will allow you to access the apps and content you want.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The OP hasn’t returned since 2020, and the problem has likely been solved in the meantime.
Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts