What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

International release vs. sold out in USA

chrisof4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shortly after the iPad 2 was released I reserved one at the local Best Buy. I knew this might not be the quickest way to get one, but I am sitting on $185 worth of Reward Zone coupons, so it would be silly to buy one anywhere else. However, after selling out after the first day, they still have not been restocked with a single iPad 2. That is somewhat frustrating, but there really is not much I can do about it, so I am practicing my patience, which apparently has not been used in a while because it is very rusty.
I see the international release is scheduled for this coming Friday. I have also seen some people say more will also be available in the US on this date, primarly because of the International release. That makes no sense to me.
Are they saying:
(1) So many iPad 2's have been bought in the US for the sole purpose of shipping them overseas, that once they become available overseas, then this practice will stop? OR...
(2) Apple has been sitting on a huge inventory reserved for the US, planning to dump them at the same time as the international release to make an even bigger splash, or for some other reason?

It seems to me that if the demand in the US was so high that everywhere is sold out, by opening the distribution to 25 other countries, this will only further tighten the supply.

*sigh* I fear it may be several weeks before I actually have one of my own.

Last edited:

Lifet1me

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Shortly after the iPad 2 was released I reserved one at the local Best Buy. I knew this might not be the quickest way to get one, but I am sitting on $185 worth of Reward Zone coupons, so it would be silly to buy one anywhere else. However, after selling out after the first day, they still have not been restocked with a single iPad 2. That is somewhat frustrating, but there really is not much I can do about it, so I am practicing my patience, which apparently has not been used in a while because it is very rusty.
I see the international release is scheduled for this coming Friday. I have also seen some people say more will also be available in the US on this date, primarly because of the International release. That makes no sense to me.
Are they saying:
(1) So many iPad 2's have been bought in the US for the sole purpose of shipping them overseas, that once they become available overseas, then this practice will stop? OR...
(2) Apple has been sitting on a huge inventory reserved for the US, planning to dump them at the same time as the international release to make an even bigger splash, or for some other reason?

It seems to me that if the demand in the US was so high that everywhere is sold out, by opening the distribution to 25 other countries, this will only further tighten the supply.

*sigh* I fear it may be several weeks before I actually have one of my own.

"I have also seen some people say...."

People talk ALOT, and it seems like no one knows what will happen, whatever.

Apple Europe is going to release the IPad2 this friday yes, today about 2pm they gave out the official pricelist and the time when it will be aviable online and in stores.

NO ONE thought about that it will be in online stores at 2am, we all thought it would be 1am, now guess the most freaky ones will start watching it from 11pm thursday.

And absolutely NO ONE thought that stores got order to start sale of the IPad2 at 5pm !!!!!
Guzess they do it to give every customer a chance.... but this will surely end up in a mess, and im right in the middle of it, going to stay at the apple store from 11am :p

lets do this!

(only thing which would make me not go for the line is the online info "prepared for shipping" right before i leave home for the line)

Last edited:
OP
C

chrisof4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apparently all I needed to do was complain publicly to make something happen. Best Buy just called and my new iPad 2 is waiting for me to pick it up at the store. Can't wait!

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You could sell your best buy cards on ebay! You might could make closer to 200 bucks for them. People are crazy on eBay. Your best best is to order from apple.com, and wait indefinitely, until you hear the engine roar outside your door, and a nice person will hand you manna from heaven. You will again be saved from the fierce fire of impatience. Steve Jobs will shake your imaginary hand as you wrestle to be released from a world of savage fun and restlessness. O wait, that's my recurring dream of April 28, when I pick mine up!

Most reactions

Latest posts