What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

inconvenient volume key placement

jiml0121

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lie your iPad2 flat on a hard surface and slowly lift it up to about 45 degrees and see that the volume control icon appears and turns the volume down. The control on the 2 is not recessed so it is easily activated when you don't want it to be activated.
I went to the Apple store and commented to a rep and he denied that it is a flaw. Said I was just pressing to hard -- after he did it himself. He still denied it was even happening . Duh. It is and if you hold your 2 at a reading angle leaning it on a desk, it will shut the volume off. Not a good thing. Did no one else experience this ? thanks
jtl

ipaduser434

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have had that happen a few times. Now I just hold it in landscape so the volume control is at the top (as well as the speaker). Not a big deal and I don't consider it a flaw of any sort. Makes more sense, actually, to have the speaker at the top - can hear it better.

Reaction score
It does happen. But when do you ever hold the iPad 2 at a 45 degree angle? In the two positions the smart cover provides, does it not activate the volume controls. Besides, you can always tilt the iPad to the other side, so that the volume keys are up.

Overall are the volume keys much harder to accidentally activate then they were on the iPad 1, where the where placed at the side edge.

OP
J

jiml0121

iPF Noob
Reaction score
more on the volume key activation

Thanks for your response! Actually the volume keys were embedded on the iPad 1- I have it in front of me and the control is in the same general location as on the iPad2.
Only problem with rotating the iPad2 so speaker is "up" is that the cover no longer can be used at the "top" of the iPad as the control inhibits attachment.
My solution is to buy a new cover from iGear which is similar to the original iPad cover.. not made by apple for the iPad2. That will allow the volume control to be somewhat receded from contact to the surface.
Strange, but I find it quite annoying and frequently annoying to have the volume control icon appearing constantly when I simply rotate the pad up from lying flat. Should have left it receded (embedded). Oh well, I found the solution for anyone else who has the problem. Thanks for your input!
JTL

Most reactions

Latest posts