What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK well Australia was going to experience the shortest eclipse of the moon of the 21st century.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428230877.290466.jpg

So I set up up my camera on a tripod with the longest lens I have (150mm) to try and catch the "blood moon" that the media were jumping up and down about...(when the sun, moon and earth align, and that redish colour is due to the sunlight scattering the earth's atmosphere: the more pollution the redder the moon)
The total eclipse had a very narrow window: between 9.58 and 10.33 pm so I had to be quick.
But problems finding that moon!. Eastern Australia, particularly Sydney and most of Queensland were rained out. And here in Adelaide the night was mild but with widespread cloud, so it was only a matter of a few seconds when the partial eclipse appeared between clouds. The full eclipse was never visible.
Here's my rather sorry, blurred effort when I got the chance:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428232020.879802.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428232041.497388.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428232052.320393.jpg

Here,s what a more professional photo had produced in Melbourne:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1428232218.409195.jpg

Anyway they tell us there will not be another full moon eclipse until 2018, so at least I can say I photographed it now...Hah!
Andrew

Sent from my iPad Air2 using Tapatalk

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
OK well Australia was going to experience the shortest eclipse of the moon of the 21st century.
View attachment 63817
So I set up up my camera on a tripod with the longest lens I have (150mm) to try and catch the "blood moon" that the media were jumping up and down about...(when the sun, moon and earth align, and that redish colour is due to the sunlight scattering the earth's atmosphere: the more pollution the redder the moon)
The total eclipse had a very narrow window: between 9.58 and 10.33 pm so I had to be quick.
But problems finding that moon!. Eastern Australia, particularly Sydney and most of Queensland were rained out. And here in Adelaide the night was mild but with widespread cloud, so it was only a matter of a few seconds when the partial eclipse appeared between clouds. The full eclipse was never visible.
Here's my rather sorry, blurred effort when I got the chance:
View attachment 63818
View attachment 63819
View attachment 63820
Here,s what a more professional photo had produced in Melbourne:
View attachment 63821
Anyway they tell us there will not be another full moon eclipse until 2018, so at least I can say I photographed it now...Hah!
Andrew

You did a pretty fair job. There's quite a bit of red showing in your photos. I think the better photo from the pro is due to his undoubtedly much longer lens rather than his pro status. Your second photo is the best of the three.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks sci. At least I can boast that mine was the only oval shaped moon around:)
Andrew

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very nice pic of your blood moon, Andrew! I saw one back in November right before work...so beautiful!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering the lens you used, your photos are good, Andrew. I can even see the darker hues of the lunar maria.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Considering the lens you used, your photos are good, Andrew. I can even see the darker hues of the lunar maria.
Thanks Johanna, but nowhere near as good as those great moonshots you have been posting.
But some lessons learned....preparation for one. It was a "last minute" decision to do it as the sky was complety clouded over just before the start of the eclipse.
I have a 2x extender which I could have used, but simply forgot about it in hurrying:confused:. And of course if I had taken a flashlight with me the camera buttons would have been easier to manipulate:rolleyes:.
But now I'm keen to try some more, so will have a go at more moon shots in future. They say it's the photographer not the equipment, but I think long focal length lenses do give better results.
Andrew

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey Scifan.. - don't believe that I'd be happy either! We'll having a little rain today and temperature down, but yesterday was sunny and short sleeve day, so out shopping and an early dinner. Hope the weather improves quickly for you - Dave :)

rasmith1959

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Looks like a small flock of wild turkeys. Do you often have turkeys in your yard?

They come around on occasion along with other critters like deer, rabbits, foxes, raccoons and opossums to name a few.

Careful. When they gang up like that they're usually looking for trouble. :)

Well since its mating season, you definitely don't want to get too close to a pack of Toms.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
For golf fans & lovers of the spring bloom, the Masters Golf Tournament started today in Augusta, Georgia (a couple of states below my location) - always in early April when the spring bloom of dogwoods and azaleas are in their beautiful glory. This is one of the most beautiful golf courses on the planet, especially at this time of the year and even if not a golf fan worth a watch just to see the flora - :)

Just a couple of pics below of the 12th (Golden Bell) & 13th (Azalea) holes - YES, each hole is named after some type of ornamental tree or flowering bush - this is also known as 'Amen Corner', i.e. when you hit a shot, then get on your knees and pray that it's good! ;)

First pic of the 12th w/ Hogan's Bridge (named after Ben Hogan) in the foreground w/ Rae's Creek running just in front of the green; 2nd pic of the 13th hole w/ the sand traps and azaleas in the background - just beautiful tonight as I was watching on my HDTV - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.13.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-09 at 10.10.16 PM.png

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts