What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Image/Photo Thread Of Any Images You Would Like To Share....

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
2d1cf04e83cf60699ec12d159a1b3a25.jpg

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk
Now there's a Tom you definitely don't want to mess with.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It must have been a beautiful building.
It was. Ceilings were 12' high. Every classroom had two walls with real slate blackboards. I believe that all the wood trim was dark varnished oak. There was a large stone front porch with a roof supported by columns. There was a chemistry lab, although it was no longer used when I started in the early 1960’s. There was also a large woodworking shop in the basement, which was no longer used by the early 1970's. At the time it was built it was one of the largest elementary schools in the city. It was named after the Duke of Connaught, a son of Queen Victoria and the Governor General of Canada at the time. Fortunately they saved a lot of the stone details which will be used in it's replacement, to be completed ny the fall of 2017.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It was. Ceilings were 12' high. Every classroom had two walls with real slate blackboards. I believe that all the wood trim was dark varnished oak. There was a large stone front porch with a roof supported by columns. There was a chemistry lab, although it was no longer used when I started in the early 1960’s. There was also a large woodworking shop in the basement, which was no longer used by the early 1970's. At the time it was built it was one of the largest elementary schools in the city. It was named after the Duke of Connaught, a son of Queen Victoria and the Governor General of Canada at the time. Fortunately they saved a lot of the stone details which will be used in it's replacement, to be completed ny the fall of 2017.

Do you know if they were able to save most of the building even if it wasn't used for the new school?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know if they were able to save most of the building even if it wasn't used for the new school?
They only saved a few of the stone detailing pieces as well as the plaque with the name as well as the stone with the date and several pallets of brick to be used for incorporating the artifacts from the old school in the new building.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you know what the new building will look like?

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
They only saved a few of the stone detailing pieces as well as the plaque with the name as well as the stone with the date and several pallets of brick to be used for incorporating the artifacts from the old school in the new building.
I'm surprised at that because most old buildings have oak and red bricks etc that most builders want to reclaim to use on new projects. Is it that the matrials were just too broken down to be reclaimed?
I can close my eyes and remember the smell of my elementary school.

Shebow63

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This lake shot was taken in the early autumn, after harvest time. You see the hay pole full of hay. In the olden times, the farmers put their hay up on hay-poles to dry. The hay was put up loosely so the air could circulate through it and dry it.

Once dry, the farmers piled the hay onto a horse drawn hay wagon that had high sides. . After that the hay was pitched (with pitch forks) into the barn. As kids, it was great fun to climb to the hayloft and jump down on the huge, tall piles of hay. :)

View attachment 35484
Did you take this photo? It is absolutely gorgeous!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm surprised at that because most old buildings have oak and red bricks etc that most builders want to reclaim to use on new projects. Is it that the matrials were just too broken down to be reclaimed?
I can close my eyes and remember the smell of my elementary school.
Unfortunately, after the few details and some bricks were salvaged, the building was demolished with the remains ending up in the local landfill. :(

Most reactions

Latest posts