What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud: how to make it useable/interactable?

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
well, I’ve signed in with my apple ID and password. everything I’ve read tells me that iCloud should just “be there”

it does tell me how much is used/free, but I see no way to actually see and manage the space.

any pointers would be appreciated, thank you!

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
well, I’ve signed in with my apple ID and password. everything I’ve read tells me that iCloud should just “be there”

it does tell me how much is used/free, but I see no way to actually see and manage the space.

any pointers would be appreciated, thank you!

Under your iCloud ID, you should see a list of Apps in the iCloud and from there you can toggle them on or off.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Correct, and I've toggled on Photos - the app it says has 1.1gb of files in the cloud. Yet, it doesn't let me *see* those photos. Nor does Files.

It's as though I'm being given meta data, but not permitted to put hands on the actual data itself!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It’s possible to view images synced by iCloud in the Photos app. They should be in the Albums as well as in the Photos tab, except if they have been deleted. Then you can still see them in Albums - Recently Deleted for 30 days, before they will disappear completely.

Files doesn’t show your pictures.

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
for one thing, the iPad shows a vastly different experience than the Mac Book Pro gets (different web pages can be served up for different platforms)

going to iCloud.com,
Mac Book Pro = can sign into the cloud, then can see the files
iPad = a web page showing 1 2 3 steps of what you need to have the iCloud

wha???

On one hand, it looks like the iPad is signed in or connected to the Cloud; shows 1.1gb of my Photos are in the cloud (not an action taken by me!) but I can't see those files.

that don't make no sense!

OP
P

Padcatt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It’s possible to view images synced by iCloud in the Photos app. They should be in the Albums as well as in the Photos tab, except if they have been deleted. Then you can still see them in Albums - Recently Deleted for 30 days, before they will disappear completely.

Files doesn’t show your pictures.

OK..here's my experience with the above:

1. Photos doesn't show me what's in the Cloud; only what I have/had on my internal iPad storage
  2. Everything I read online about iCloud says that Files will show the files that are in the cloud, if you have toggled iCloud to "On" in the Files app. It shows my space remaining but not what's using the space that's used.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The Photos app shows images on your iPad, and if iCloud Photos is enabled, it should also show images on your other Apple devices. So if you have pictures on your MacBook Pro, they will appear on the iPad as well. If there are too many of them, this might take a while.

The Files app shows which apps are storing some or all of their files in iCloud, and it’s also possible to take a look at their content. When you try to open one of these files, you’ll be redirected to the app where it’s stored.
iCloud Drive is part of the Files app, here’s what it looks like on my iPad:
9284EDB8-3958-4AC9-BAAE-B5F0C07163FF.jpeg

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iCloud is actually several services. There is no one place to go to see all of them.

iCloud Drive - Files stored by apps and the iPad. The Files app the best way to view them outside of the app that created or owns the file. Pictures stored in a third party app or using the Files app do not show up in the Photos app.

iCloud Photo Library - Stores photos in iCloud and allows didferent devices and computers to keep them synced.

iCloud Backups - Backup and restore from iCloud. All or nothing.

Syncing and storage for many Apple Apps: iBooks, Calendar, Contacts, Reminders, Notes, Pages, Numbers, Garage Band, etc. Some of these can be viewed in the Files app, many are only viewable from within the apps themselves.

Third party apps - can sync or store files in iCloud. Most of these can be accessed via the Files app, but not all.

More things I’m not remembering right now.

And you are right. The Mac OS works differently. Except where it syncs with iCloud and iOS devices.

Most reactions

Latest posts