What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iCloud document syncing from iPad to iPhone to desktop Mac

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So after a little work I have the cloud working for my iWork (at least pages) documents between my iPhone and my iPad like the commercial says, automatically I do nothing and it appears in the cloud. However it is now my understanding that to go from my Mac to a mobile device or from a mobile device to a Mac it is a manual process. You can choose to upload to the web site, navigate to the file and drag and drop the file from the Mac desk top into the iCloud web page, or download the file from the web site to the Mac. In any event each time it winds up on the Mac or comes from the web site it is a single file with no revision history on it.
This is not very cool, or am I missing something. Great for working on the mobile devise but not so hot for working on the Mac.
Please tell me I am wrong and what is the iCloud way of automatically getting the document from my Mac to iCloud.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You need the updated iWork apps for Mac, still in beta. Should be released very soon, then it's all automatic...

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thewitt said:
You need the updated iWork apps for Mac, still in beta. Should be released very soon, then it's all automatic...

I hope you are right. I played with for over 4 hours yesterday. Nothing here or in the everything forum. Finally at around 11 last night I went over to the apple site. A whole string with some really upset people as well as a three or four page work around. I will wait with open arms for the release.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

sir_ben

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope they release it soon. I need it to work seamlessly between my MacBook and my iPad because I use Numbers on them both. Any word on when this feature will be released?

The Photostream syncing with iPhoto works just fine. I do think that they can also do it rather painless with the iWork apps.

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
From MacWorld this morning. BTW this is a a great app for your iPad, Macworld Daily Reader. We could have a problem here for a while:

Using iCloud to sync your iWork documents across all your devices generally works well when syncing among iOS devices. Syncing to and from Macs is another story, as Ted Landau details.

Macworld Daily Reader brings the best Apple-related news, tips, and reviews from Macworld right to your iPad. You can read stories, save them for later, see what's happening right now, and share stories with friends!

http://www.macworld.com/article/163173/2011/10/bugs_and_fixes_losing_iwork_documents_in_icloud.html

If I have violated any forum rules by posting this link, I am sorry for that. However I do not think that we were not told the right information in reference to the cloud, apps and the Mac version. I hope Apple addresses this sooner rather than later.

creiapp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With "Save to Cloud", you can send documents to iCloud easily in your iOS Devices.
on a Mac iCloud path: /Users/Your_User_Name/Library/Mobile Documents/MUPXVM5Q6W~com~creiapp~fileincloud/Documents

pneuma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have seen the commercial as well and so I purchased the apps for my other iphone/ipad. Just like yourself I found the interchange from one device to another or your imac very clunky and time consuming.. I hope much like 'Dropbox' they will get a 'CloudShare' that syncs everything in that box to all devices and macs.

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
creiapp said:
With "Save to Cloud", you can send documents to iCloud easily in your iOS Devices.
on a Mac iCloud path: /Users/Your_User_Name/Library/Mobile Documents/MUPXVM5Q6W~com~creiapp~fileincloud/Documents

Or you (on your Mac) open iCloud, and drop the file on the correct icon. Done simple fast and over. This is until the Mac version will work like the IOS version. Still it's works and is nice.

Most reactions

Latest posts