What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iClassics Brings Classical Music Discovery to the iPad

Maura

iPadForums News Team
Reaction score
iClassics.JPG

There are plenty of apps available for all sorts of different music genres, but the newly announced iClassics from Deutsche Grammophon and Decca Classics is something a little different, as it’s a classical music discovery app that has been developed exclusively for the iPad. Basically, the free app enables the user to explore the recordings from both labels’ vast catalogues, featuring the likes of Pavarotti, Cecilia Bartoli, Daniel Barenboim, Gustavo Dudamel, Leonard Bernstein, Anna Netrebko, Renee Fleming etc) in a new and interactive way.

The app uses a unique tagging interface that gives the user the ability to search, and mix and match, composers, instruments and even moods, catering to both classical music novices and established fans. The app also includes an interactive composer timeline featuring over 100 composers ranging from the medieval time period through to the present. And, if you want to share your love for the music with your friends on Facebook and Twitter, you can do that too! Free updates will include new recordings and new features as and when they become available. Here are some of the app’s key features:

• Interactive Tagging Interface
  • Free Streaming Deutsche Grammophon & Decca Classics
  • Radio
  • Streaming Audio Samples
  • Integration directly with the iTunes Music Store
  • Facebook integration
  • Twitter integration
  • Apple AirPlay enabled

"Classical music is an incredibly rich experience, but the sheer variety of composers, performers and interpretations can be daunting for some," said Max Hole, Chief Operating Officer, Universal Music Group International, who is responsible for UMG's market-leading classical music labels worldwide. "This new, exciting iClassics app simplifies this complex world and guides music lovers to the finest recordings of the masterpieces performed by the world's top performers in an enjoyable, user-friendly way. Our goal is to help more people discover this extraordinary world."

Sounds like a great idea for people to learn more about classical music, and its getting nothing but five-star ratings in the iTunes store so far!
Click here to download the free app: iClassics for iPad on the iTunes App Store

Source: iClassics

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is this available in UK. I tried downloading it but it wasn't there!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded the app after seeing this thread. Have to say that I'm a little disappointed.

The app consists of a streaming radio station from Decca/Deutsche Grammophon that's OK but nothing outstanding compared to alternatives from sources like Pandora, Slacker, or the wealth of classical stations available on the net via apps like TuneIn radio and RadioBox.

In addition, the app consists of very short samples of recordings from the Decca/DG catalog available via search and tag functionality and associated purchase options in iTunes.

I had hoped it would be a more "educational" app that my daughter could use to explore classical music. Sadly, I think it's more useful for someone already well versed in the genre who is looking for a particular album or recordings with specific instruments. My hunt continues.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Downloaded the app after seeing this thread. Have to say that I'm a little disappointed.

The app consists of a streaming radio station from Decca/Deutsche Grammophon that's OK but nothing outstanding compared to alternatives from sources like Pandora, Slacker, or the wealth of classical stations available on the net via apps like TuneIn radio and RadioBox.

In addition, the app consists of very short samples of recordings from the Decca/DG catalog available via search and tag functionality and associated purchase options in iTunes.

I had hoped it would be a more "educational" app that my daughter could use to explore classical music. Sadly, I think it's more useful for someone already well versed in the genre who is looking for a particular album or recordings with specific instruments. My hunt continues.

I was disappointed, too. I like the concept, but found the selections limited.

IanM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hayles66 said:
Is this available in UK. I tried downloading it but it wasn't there!

sent with love from my iPad on IPF

Doesn't look like it :-(

Which is bloody annoying really as Decca is (or was) a British company

Grrrrr!!!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

antonio107

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use splashtop to access my school's subscription to the Naxos Music Library. Better than this, I think!

Most reactions

Latest posts