What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ibooks crashing

Snowbird Utah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can anyone please help?? A week ago I updated my ibooks app from 2.2 to 3.0.1 on both my iPad 2 and my iPhone 4. Ever since then ibooks crashes on both devices. When i touch the icon it opens to an empty bookshelf for about 10 seconds and then closes. I have tried everything from reset to deleting and reinstalling the app. I had never had a problem until the 3.0.1 version and now it doesn't work on iphone or ipad at all! who knows? Can anyone help me please please? Neither device has ever been jail broken. Thanks

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've seen a few people having this problem. Given their description of what was tried I don't know a good solution.

This is all I can suggest.

Delete iBooks. Re-download it. Add you books back a few at a time. If it starts crashing again, start over, only don't add that book back.

But, just in case you have not done so, give the below solutions a try first.

---------------------------

When you have problems with an app it's a good idea to clear it from RAM.

Close/Clear the app: With the problem app closed, double tap on the Home button to get the multitask bar. Tap and hold on any icon in the bar until they jiggle, then tap the minus sign on the problem app. This will remove it from RAM and insure a clean start the next time you launch the app.

If that does not work try a restart,

Restart: Hold down the power button until the power off slider appears. Slide it off. When the iPad finishes shutting down, hold down the power button again until the Apple logo appears. Apple recommends you restart the iPad at least once a month.

and then a reset if that does not work.

Reset: Hold down the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears. The iPad will reboot. This usually takes a bit longer than a restart. takes a bit longer than a restart.

Reset All Settings: Another, somewhat more drastic thing you can do is Reset all Settings. You'll find this under Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings. It won't erase any of your content, apps, or accounts; but you will have to go through most of your other settings and re-tweak them back to your liking.

OP
Snowbird Utah

Snowbird Utah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks heaps for your suggestions. I had found a number of suggestions prior to my Thread that I had tried. Am pleased to say it is working again on my iPad after trying what I thought would be a long shot but it worked. Still have not fixed it on my iPhone yet.
I did a sync with my phone to my iTunes and stupidly didn't delete the 3.0.1 from my phone first. So the Sync replaced 2.2 (which worked) with 3.0.1 (which doesnt work)in iTunes. So of course after sync it still didn't open and now i had no way of retrieving the 2.2 version. Anyway I deleted ibooks from iTunes (3.0.1) and tried a sync with iPad which still had my undeleted ibooks 3.0.1 version though it was still not opening. By some miracle after the sync it is now working. Maybe this info might be of use to someone. Thanks again.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm glad you got it working.

Thanks for the tip on how you did it.

I'm wondering if the key here might be the removal and re-syncing of all the books after the 3.01 install.

OP
Snowbird Utah

Snowbird Utah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still don't have it working on my phone so it seems pretty random to me. I have something I want to try so will let you know if it works.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iBooks just got an update. That last thing is says in the comments is that it fixes an issue where iBooks may unexpectedly quit. If you have not gotten things working yet, try the update.

Nothing to lose, right?

Most reactions

Latest posts