What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I-Pad 4th Gen - Storage issue

chuckp1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi folks,

New to the forum so I hope you can help me. I'm having issues with my daughters I-pad, the storage more specifically. Under usage in "settings" it's shows that she only has 1.0 Gb free of the 12.5. Under the "about" menu it shows her having 49 videos and 88 photos which equates to about 6.3 GB. When I search through her photos and videos there are only 20 photos and 1 video. I've crawled through every app and deleted all text message to see if there are photos and videos there. I'm not finding anything. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions if there is another place I should be looking? I want to load some movies on her I-pad but with only 1GB of space available that's not going to happen.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF!

If possible connect her iPad to iTunes (computer), and take another look at her storage there. Especially search for a part called "Other" (it's usually the orange part of the bar at the bottom, where you see what's using storage). The information in your post sounds like it's taking a lot of storage space on the device.

If this is the case, restore her iPad using iTunes. This should help getting rid of corrupt and other unnecessary files still hidden in Other storage, and she should have more free storage available afterwards.

Hope that helps.

OP
C

chuckp1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF!

If possible connect her iPad to iTunes (computer), and take another look at her storage there. Especially search for a part called "Other" (it's usually the orange part of the bar at the bottom, where you see what's using storage). The information in your post sounds like it's taking a lot of storage space on the device.

If this is the case, restore her iPad using iTunes. This should help getting rid of corrupt and other unnecessary files still hidden in Other storage, and she should have more free storage available afterwards.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for the quick reply. I connected her I-pad to I-tunes this morning to see what that did. It did show that the I-pad was full with a majority of the usage under Photos. I was thought about restoring it at that time but wanted to check to see if there were other options before attempting that. I'll have to give that a try. I backed it up to my computer this morning as well.

Again.... thank you for the post!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick reply. I connected her I-pad to I-tunes this morning to see what that did. It did show that the I-pad was full with a majority of the usage under Photos. I was thought about restoring it at that time but wanted to check to see if there were other options before attempting that. I'll have to give that a try. I backed it up to my computer this morning as well.

Hello and welcome! Johanna has already given you some excellent guidance - your daughter's iPad has the lowest storage possible, i.e. a 16 GB model (part of that storage is taken up by the iOS and other files) - please provide the exact model and the iOS installed.

Concerning her current situation, please look at the 'screen capture' attached of my iPad Air 2 (64 GB), we need to know what is occupying her 'space' - my iPad is about 'half filled', mainly w/ Audio & Apps - I added arrows for Photos & Books/Mags - 'Other' occupies little space (but can get out of control!) - from your description you need to clear her storage (likely of photos from your previous post) - on a 16 GB iPad, there is little room for maneuvering, especially if audio & video is being placed on the device; so, please provide some more information.

NOW, there are other options for storing/playing audio & videos using a number of cloud and Wi-Fi options - I'll stop here until you give us some more input, then suggestions can be made. Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-08 at 7.59.53 PM.png

OP
C

chuckp1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Johanna has already given you some excellent guidance - your daughter's iPad has the lowest storage possible, i.e. a 16 GB model (part of that storage is taken up by the iOS and other files) - please provide the exact model and the iOS installed.

Concerning her current situation, please look at the 'screen capture' attached of my iPad Air 2 (64 GB), we need to know what is occupying her 'space' - my iPad is aIbout 'half filled', mainly w/ Audio & Apps - I added arrows for Photos & Books/Mags - 'Other' occupies little space (but can get out of control!) - from your description you need to clear her storage (likely of photos from your previous post) - on a 16 GB iPad, there is little room for maneuvering, especially if audio & video is being placed on the device; so, please provide some more information.

NOW, there are other options for storing/playing audio & videos using a number of cloud and Wi-Fi options - I'll stop here until you give us some more input, then suggestions can be made. Dave :)
View attachment 63260
Hello Dave,

Here is the information you asked for. As mentioned earlier, I-pad 4th Generation Model # FD 513LL/A - iOS is 8.1.3.
I connected to I-Tunes again and here is a breakdown of how the storage is categorized:
Photos - 6.81 GB's (142 photos) Again... I can only find 20 photos on her I-pad
Apps - 2.81 GB's (29 apps)
Other - 1.86 GB

Surprisingly she doesn't have any music from I-tunes loaded on her I-pad and only 1 small video she took. That's it.
Thank you!

Chuck

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Dave,

Here is the information you asked for. As mentioned earlier, I-pad 4th Generation Model # FD 513LL/A - iOS is 8.1.3.
I connected to I-Tunes again and here is a breakdown of how the storage is categorized:
Photos - 6.81 GB's (142 photos) Again... I can only find 20 photos on her I-pad
Apps - 2.81 GB's (29 apps)
Other - 1.86 GB

Surprisingly she doesn't have any music from I-tunes loaded on her I-pad and only 1 small video she took. That's it.

Hi Chuck - thanks for your quick response and the information provided; wife & I are retired so I keep a LOT of music on my iPad for travel (use a small portable BT speaker - works well!).

NOW, seems that half of her storage is being taken up by photos - are these taken on the iPad, downloaded, or obtained by syncing? Also, are there other apps that could store images independent of the native Photo app on the iPad? As an example, I have an app called 'My Photos' that has about 1.5 GBs of images not present in the regular photo app and is passcode secured.

As to the next step, I would suggest going into Settings -> General -> Usage -> Manage Storage - this will list the apps on the device and the amount of storage being used (both for the app + data) - let us know what app(s) is using this amount of storage for the photos.

Since this is a 'small' storage iPad, i.e. 16 GB only, you need to have a good amount of 'free' space available (e.g. 5 GB or so - this is what is needed for an OTA upgrade to iOS 8.x) - there are some other options to store AV media that will play on the iPad via a wireless connection - once you figure out the photo issue, we can explore these other choices. Dave :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Additionally to Dave's advice:
Where exactly did you look to find the 20 pictures? The iPad adds all images in Camera Roll, PhotoStream and Recently Deleted, so if there are images which were deleted less than 30 days ago, but not removed completely, these will also count against storage space. It's possible to delete them before the 30 days limit.
Go to Recently Deleted, tap "Select" at the top right, then "Delete All" at the top right. You'll see how many photos will be removed. Tap it to confirm.

Hope that helps.

OP
C

chuckp1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Additionally to Dave's advice:
Where exactly did you look to find the 20 pictures? The iPad adds all images in Camera Roll, PhotoStream and Recently Deleted, so if there are images which were deleted less than 30 days ago, but not removed completely, these will also count against storage space. It's possible to delete them before the 30 days limit.
Go to Recently Deleted, tap "Select" at the top right, then "Delete All" at the top right. You'll see how many photos will be removed. Tap it to confirm.

Hope that helps.

Good morning Dave and Johanna,,
To answer Dave's question first. Under manage storage > "photos & Camera" represent the 6.8 GB. "photo Library shows the 6.8 GB with only 3.6 KB under "Shared". My daughter being 12 has a quite a few apps that total the 2.81 GB, the largest being 308 MB (minecraft). She does use Instagram which is used for sending photos but she doesn't use that a ton. There doesn't appear to be any other apps that would relate to photos.

In regards to Johanna's question, there are only 7 photos in the "deleted" folder. The only other time we had an issue with storage the culprit was her messaging app. She had a ton of messages with photos and videos that she never deleted. This was the first thing I checked this time but she only has a couple of messages and none of them have photos or videos attached.

Thank you both!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Good morning Dave and Johanna,,
To answer Dave's question first. Under manage storage > "photos & Camera" represent the 6.8 GB. "photo Library shows the 6.8 GB with only 3.6 KB under "Shared".....

In regards to Johanna's question, there are only 7 photos in the "deleted" folder. The only other time we had an issue with storage the culprit was her messaging app......

Hi again Chuck - well, the above is certainly baffling - :confused: If not already done, please 'Reset' the iPad (i.e. hold down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release both and allow the device to reboot - no apps, data, or settings will be lost). Probably will not help but maybe the 'lost' storage will be recovered. Dave :)

I

islandman

Hi again Chuck - well, the above is certainly baffling - :confused: If not already done, please 'Reset' the iPad (i.e. hold down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, then release both and allow the device to reboot - no apps, data, or settings will be lost). Probably will not help but maybe the 'lost' storage will be recovered. Dave :)

Hi, I can't add anything but am watching/reading and learning. I too would be baffled by the OP's findings and would have come here. What I have picked up is that messages, as from Facebook messenger have now become part of my set-up as our daughter is in the Middle East and we've just discovered this messenger thing. As such, I am sure there is a string of messages and included photo's within that we thought we'd keep, simply to re-read.

BUT, if I've understood your conversations correctly, by saving them, I'm not doing myself any good as they could be taking up valuable space, is this so.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in like this and sort of high jacking, but you've now set me wondering.

OP
C

chuckp1

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Hi Dave,

Well I gave it the ole' "reset" and not much was gained in the whole storage department unfortunately. I think at this point I may just have to restore her I-pad and go from there. I've already backed everything up so I should be all set to reload the apps she wants. It's just a matter of not reloading the photos / videos. Hopefully that will help.

I can't thank you and Johanna enough for the feedback you've given me. I mostly likely won't restore it until this coming weekend. So if you have any other idea's before that I'll be sure to try those prior to the restore!

Again... truly appreciate all the help

Chuck

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I can't add anything but am watching/reading and learning. I too would be baffled by the OP's findings and would have come here. What I have picked up is that messages, as from Facebook messenger have now become part of my set-up as our daughter is in the Middle East and we've just discovered this messenger thing. As such, I am sure there is a string of messages and included photo's within that we thought we'd keep, simply to re-read.

BUT, if I've understood your conversations correctly, by saving them, I'm not doing myself any good as they could be taking up valuable space, is this so.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in like this and sort of high jacking, but you've now set me wondering.
Your conclusion is right. When you keep the images, they'll use storage space on your device, which you will notice faster when you have 16 GB only.
If you want to keep them, load them to online storage. They won't take storage space there (except if they are available offline), and they sync between devices and operating systems.

I

islandman

Thanks. I have avoided syncing my ipad to laptop photo's simply because there are over 1000, yes, that many, but when son-in-law arrives next week, will get him to remind me how to use my external hard drive.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Dave,

Well I gave it the ole' "reset" and not much was gained in the whole storage department unfortunately. I think at this point I may just have to restore her I-pad and go from there. I've already backed everything up so I should be all set to reload the apps she wants. It's just a matter of not reloading the photos / videos. Hopefully that will help.

I can't thank you and Johanna enough for the feedback you've given me. I mostly likely won't restore it until this coming weekend. So if you have any other idea's before that I'll be sure to try those prior to the restore!

Again... truly appreciate all the help

Hi again Chuck - yep, the ole 'Reset' never hurts and often helps - I suspected that the maneuver would likely not correct your situation. I'm not sure (unless I've overlooked the mention of it in your previous posts) which kind of regular computer you are using, i.e. a PC or a Mac - I'm on a MBPro at the moment running Yosemite.

If you are running a Mac, there is a program in Apps call Image Capture (part of OS X) - below is a 'screen capture' after cabling my iPad to the laptop and opening the app. My images in the Photos app on the iPad are shown and can be manipulated.

I also have another app called iFunBox which can show contents of apps and also images (second screen capture) - if your on a PC, there may be an equivalent(s); if on a Mac, I'm still not sure if these programs would help but easy enough to take a look.

Good luck if you need to do a restoration - Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 10.21.13 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-03-10 at 10.23.47 AM.png

OP
C

chuckp1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi again Chuck - yep, the ole 'Reset' never hurts and often helps - I suspected that the maneuver would likely not correct your situation. I'm not sure (unless I've overlooked the mention of it in your previous posts) which kind of regular computer you are using, i.e. a PC or a Mac - I'm on a MBPro at the moment running Yosemite.

If you are running a Mac, there is a program in Apps call Image Capture (part of OS X) - below is a 'screen capture' after cabling my iPad to the laptop and opening the app. My images in the Photos app on the iPad are shown and can be manipulated.

I also have another app called iFunBox which can show contents of apps and also images (second screen capture) - if your on a PC, there may be an equivalent(s); if on a Mac, I'm still not sure if these programs would help but easy enough to take a look.

Good luck if you need to do a restoration - Dave :)

View attachment 63295 View attachment 63296
Hi Dave,
I think the "reset" is unavoidable at this point. I use a PC so I'll have to investigate if there is an app as you suggested.
Thank you again for taking the time to try to help me. Once I reset her I-pad I'll let you know if that worked! :)

Chuck

Most reactions

Latest posts