What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have lots of photos that I would like to transfer to my iPad.

MercyHallows

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here so I apologise if this is in the wrong place.
On my PC, I have thirteen GB's of photographs that I wish to store on my iPad. I bought a sixty four GB iPad as I am a photograph/picture addict.
What are good ways to do this?
I would also like to transfer photos from my iPad onto my PC whilst retaining folders I make in my photos on the iPad, so my photos aren't unorganised.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Totallylagit

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You can add photos to the iPad through iTunes. Plug it in to the computer and wait until iTunes recognizes it. Select your device on the left then click photos near the top. You'll have to make it sync a chosen folder from your PC. that part should be easy enough to figure out. I don't have iTunes in front of me to give a tutorial. As for keeping folders when you copy from iPad to PC, sadly I do not think that is possible though I could be wrong

Last edited:

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here so I apologise if this is in the wrong place.
On my PC, I have thirteen GB's of photographs that I wish to store on my iPad. I bought a sixty four GB iPad as I am a photograph/picture addict.
What are good ways to do this?
I would also like to transfer photos from my iPad onto my PC whilst retaining folders I make in my photos on the iPad, so my photos aren't unorganised.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

G' day Mercy, I use an App "SkyDrive", (download the App to the PC and to the iPad) and you can sync from PC to iPad and vice versa easily by dropping your photos into the SkyDrive folder. (Free up to 7 gigs, but at a cost for more gigs, (check and compare on that with others) I like SkyDrive as it seems a lot more generous with its free cloud storage than a lot of other popular ones.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The photos app is a poor choice if you want good photo organization tools. You'll probably want a third party app.

Photo Manager Pro is fairly popular, and often recommended by members of this forum, but there are a wide variety of photo storage/display apps in the App Store, many of the specialized for specific types of users; photo journals, portfolios, etc.

I can't offer any personal experience, but I recommend some searching and research in the App Store using keywords related to your specific photography needs.

Each app has it's own methods of importing/exporting photos. Most will import/export to the Photos app itself (necessary at least occasionally), but you should also take into account this feature set when considering what app you purchase.

Good luck.

OP
M

MercyHallows

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll have a look at all of the suggestions.
Keeping folders altogether is important so I'll keep that in mind whilst I do.
:)

Iceman541

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I strongly suggest that you do not transfer your photos to your IPad. I work with images for working situations and I uploaded about 5,500 photos from my computer through an iTunes transfer process and have since found that they cannot simply be deleted. There is a pretty extensive thread on this issue. You may want to investigate the process before you do a transfer.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I strongly suggest that you do not transfer your photos to your IPad. I work with images for working situations and I uploaded about 5,500 photos from my computer through an iTunes transfer process and have since found that they cannot simply be deleted. There is a pretty extensive thread on this issue. You may want to investigate the process before you do a transfer.

Wouldn't mind seeing that thread for my own info at least if not for others' benefit. Difficult to find it without some title. But anyway, what you say is correct - they cannot be deleted simply. Well not if you want to wear your finger out by tapping on each individual photo and tapping the Delete function.

As you synced those photos via iTunes, you can delete them in iTunes and on re-syncing see them no longer appear on your iPad.
Using any of the cloud-based transfer facilities like iTunes, DropBox, SkyDrive etc is still a great way to get photos onto your iPad from a PC.
Regards, Andrew

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the Forum!

The IPad Forum is a community of members from all walks of life and from all over the world coming together to share our experiences and to help each other learn about this wonderful piece of technology the Ipad. There is a wealth of information already here in the many threads we have so doing some searches will answer most of the questions you have. If then you cannot find the answer you are seeking then by all means post your question. There are many friendly and informed members here only too willing to help you.

We also have our own App - It is a very simple app to navigate.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8
Reading the IPad manual is a great place to start so please download a copy of these.
http://www.support.apple.com/manuals/ipad/
3 very informative threads from which you will learn many tips and shortcuts for the IPad.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-general-discussions/21590-tips-tricks-those-us-who-dont-know.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-os/49581-ios5-tips-tricks.html
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help...shortcuts-helpful-places-people-new-ipad.html
We have rules like any Community so please read these also
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rul...um-rules-everybody-please-read.html#post14697

Once again we welcome you here and are so pleased you have joined us!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score

@ MercyHollows - welcome to the forum! :) Concerning the native iPad Photo App (and as already stated), the program is limited and frustrating to use (now I have the iPad2, so not sure if changes have been made to improve its function?) - BUT, check out THIS THREAD for more specifics of the problematic features related to Apple's Photo App.

Although image transfer can be done cabled via iTunes, plenty of 'wireless' options exist that you should explore, many already mentioned - for myself, I use PhotoSync & Dropbox; for photo organization on your iPad, a 3rd party app may be your best choice and plenty exist, so check out the App Store as already recommended; again, for myself, I'm using the native Photo app along w/ iPhoto, but also Photo-Sort & My Photos - not really pushing these but showing that plenty of choices are available and a combination should suit your purposes - good luck!

OP
M

MercyHallows

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the lovely welcome, guys. :)
I have decided to use photo manager pro to sort my photos out and I am happy with its features.
I still have not transferred my photos as I am still unsure of what method to use.
@
Iceman541 I would be very interested in reading that thread, may you please post a link as I am unsure of what to search? When you say it is hard to delete photos, do you mean that when you delete photos, some remains are left on the system, or that it is a tedious task deleting all photos?
Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
MercyHallows said:
I have decided to use photo manager pro to sort my photos out and I am happy with its features.
I still have not transferred my photos as I am still unsure of what method to use.
@Iceman541 I would be very interested in reading that thread, may you please post a link as I am unsure of what to search? When you say it is hard to delete photos, do you mean that when you delete photos, some remains are left on the system, or that it is a tedious task deleting all photos?
Thanks.

If not done, be sure to checkout the link I provided - may answer some of your questions. :)

Iceman541

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MercyHallows said:
@Iceman541 I would be very interested in reading that thread, may you please post a link as I am unsure of what to search? When you say it is hard to delete photos, do you mean that when you delete photos, some remains are left on the system, or that it is a tedious task deleting all photos?
Thanks.

The link that was given by the other poster will cover it. You can delete images from your photo stream but not those uploaded from your computer. Apparently the only way to eliminate them is to remove the ones you do not want from your computer and then re-synch with I-tunes. Thus if you work on the photo on your iPad it will not be on your computer so I would presume that if you do the above re synch you will lose the work product on the iPad. Let me say, I am just learning the ins and outs of this glitch myself so I do not have a lot of insight for you. Best advice I have is basic. At this time when you synch your iPad, don't upload from the computer. As with all things Apple, processes are not always created in the best interests of the end user. In my case I will probably do a reset and start from scratch.

Most reactions

Latest posts