What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't mail newspaper pages from iPad

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before I "upgraded" to iOS8 I could email links to newspaper pages from my iPad Air. Now I can't! Is that what they "upgraded"?

I can try to email links from, say, USA Today. The mailer reads my addressbook, but it doesn't send the mail.

Is there a fix, or do I have to "downgrade" somehow to an OS that is more use?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have the USA Today app. I just tried emailing an article to myself and it worked fine; a couple articles and a video, and using two different accounts, just to be sure.

All I can recommend is the usual.

1) Test that email account and recipient directly, in Mail, just to make sure it is working.

2) Restart the iPad, to make sure both USA Today and the Mail app are getting a clean start. You can remove the apps from RAM manually using the app switcher if you like, but it shouldn't make any difference after a restart.

As always, a Reset should be tried if the Restart does not work. Hold down the Home and Power buttons until the Apple Logo appears.

3) Make sure you have the most up to date version of the USA Today app. I believe I saw an update for it a few days ago.

4) Try deleting and re-installing the USA Today app.

What other apps are you having problems with?

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have the latest USA Today - same problem.
Same problem with the New Zealand Herald on-line (arguably the best NEWS paper in the southern hemisphere).

Both used to work okay on iOS7.

Mailer works fine.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I just tried the same thing going to USA Today in Safari. It's a mess. When I try choosing an email address from the auto-suggest, sometimes it adds the address, and sometimes the email just disappears. Sending to myself seems to be the big hangup. Oddly, if I send to an alternate address, same email account but different address, it works.

So, if I send to [email protected] and from [email protected] it breaks. If I send to [email protected] from [email protected], even though the are the same account, it works.

It also works if I use the (+) icon at the right to choose my address through the Address Book. That's a lot of extra steps.

Then sometimes it works even when I expect it not to.

Worst case, you can always use Copy instead (bottom row of icons), then open Mail and paste it into the body of the email.

Safari seems to be full of little glitches and problems. I really hope the next update eliminates at least a few of them.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I often send snippets of news items by taking a screen shot.
Sorry for blank quote post. Don't know how that happened.

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, I just tried the same thing going to USA Today in Safari. QUOTE]

Brave you! :)
I cannot figure why anyone uses Safari. Then again, I know one website that only gives full functionality when you use Firefox - another infidel browser - and even then the fonts and colours are all over the place. :eek:

Anyway, I was talking about mailing from inside USA Today's app (or The New Zealand Herald's app). I even logged into NZH this morning and that didn't improve things. I am starting to suggest that this is a glitch in iOS8.

Who do we kneecap to show our appreciation for that little benefit? :cool:

OP
Vagulus

Vagulus

iPF Noob
Reaction score
http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

Factual works better than venting, and don't expect a response, but that's the place to leave feedback.

You might wait till Monday, when 8.1 is out. At least some of the issues will should be fixed.

That problem was not fixed in iOS8.1 so I lodged a complaint. Why would they not have the courtesy to respond - are they too busy fixing their hurry, hurry mistakes?

We'll wait and see what they come up with ;)

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
That problem was not fixed in iOS8.1 so I lodged a complaint. Why would they not have the courtesy to respond - are they too busy fixing their hurry, hurry mistakes?

We'll wait and see what they come up with ;)

Mostly because they 'probably' receive thousands of feedback responses a day, most for the same issues. I suppose they could give you a form response "we value your input, blah blah blah, thank you", but would that obviously automatically generated email have made you happy?

That does not mean your input is not worth the effort. The more people they hear from on a specific issue the higher that issue gets bumped on the list of things to fix next.

Anyway. I'm sorry 8.1 didn't fix the issue. It sounds like it might require an update of the apps themselves. Have you tried deleting and reinstalling those apps? That's been known to work after updates, at least once in a while.

n4uau

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have recently had 2 occasions to contact Apple Care. I found them helpful knowledgeable and willing to spend all the time needed to resolve the issue. Far better than many customer service places I've dealt with.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hey there, twerpoet. Any company which is too big to talk to its customers has a real problem.

As N4uau points out, Apple is very good about customer support. The feedback form is a different beast. It's meant as a way to collect information and is mostly targeted at developers. The don't advertise that page. You have to look for it.

And it is called feedback, not support, help, or questions. Think of it as the suggestion feedback box some stores have. You don't expect a direct response there either.

Anyway, we're probably just not going to agree on this. I don't see it as a problem. Probably because I don't expect any company to respond to feedback. A support question, yes. Just feedback, no.

Most reactions

Latest posts