Not printing from native apps

Discussion in 'iPad Air Forum' started by MorAase, Oct 19, 2014.

1. MorAase

MorAase
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    There is a major problem arisen after upgrading to ios8 :(

First, just let me make crystal clear, my Macbook pro 2009 model, on very latest osx, prints just very perfect to my wifi printer, an Samsung laser printer a late 2014 model. Never a problem, never.
    That same was the situation on my Ipad Air, on ios 7.xx, never ever a problem with printout.

Now, at ios8, documents from, say mail and safari, does not print at all. Uff!
    I can see the jobs in the print queue on the ipad, but they are very much "stuck", no way they will print, that samsung print start to launch print, but suddenly stops with a muffled click, it doesnt even touch a paper sheet

Nb. That Samsung print app, sending documents from this, do indeed print!! Thats very strange, or what?

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Any chance you are using Printopia? I had to update and turn Printopia OFF/ON before it would work correctly with Yosemite.

3. MorAase

MorAase
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    What has Yosemite to do with my Ipad Air????

That printopia, what is that, I dont know anything about it, sorry.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Printopia is a computer program that lets you use any printer on your network as if it were an AirPrint printer. Since it's installed on the computer, upgrading to Yosemite would make a difference.

But since you don't know what it is, obviously you are not using it.

In that case, all I can recommend is restarting your router, printer, and iPad at the same time. You might try Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings as well, before you restart everything.

You'll need to re-join your network after you are done.

5. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    @ MorAase - about to say the same above, i.e. try to 'power recycle' your hardware; also, please provide the model of your printer - I'm assuming this is an AirPrint compatible device and/or is using a proprietary app? Dave :)

6. MorAase

MorAase
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Jeg gir opp. Min engelsk er for dårlig til jeg blir forstått.
    Dette har ingenting med rutere, printere, osx eller Macbool Pro.
    Dette problemet var ukjent for meg tidligere iår.
    Dette oppsto da jeg oppgraderte til ios 8.

---------
    Ok, ok I shouldnt have done that, sorry. I also tried in a Norwegian ipad user forum. They didnt understand me either. Looks like this one affects only my ios 8 installation then.

So I am now looking into downgrading to ios 7. That will do the trick I know for sure. I cant afford a brand new ipad air 2. Would have been interesting to see if that one has any "printer issues".

I know, a tabula rasa might also do the, remove everything, start on with a completely fresh ios 8 install. That will not work for me, My Ipad is filled with 26 GB of pictures, vids and movies, I need these evry day, I really cant risk that backup progress will get everything in right place, not to mention how long that process will take.

Bye, bye, thanks for nice advices!

Yours Sincerelly
    Dryas Anne

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again Dryas Anne - well, Apple has eliminated the possibility of 'signing off' on iOS 8 and downgrading to iOS 7.x - this has come up a number of times on the forum (and elsewhere) as you can imagine - some discussion HERE.

Did you have a backup of your iPad (i.e. on a computer and/or to the cloud) before doing the iOS 8 installation? Did you try the 'power recycles' as suggested? And again please provide us the model of your printer?

Also, have you upgraded to the most recent iOS release, i.e. 8.0.2. And finally, are you having other issues on your iPad w/ this upgrade or just that with the printer? Dave :)

8. MorAase

MorAase
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    So we are still playing ball?

You know Samsung mobile print? You find it app store.

Why does this app print perfect to my samsung m 262 then?

Ios 8.0.2 of course. Router everything powered down, rebooted, the works.

No backup. Dont do that, I have never found a good app since I used a streamer back in the 1980ies (ibm pc at, that was really a good computer, compared to the crappy creations today).

9. MorAase

MorAase
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ps.
    Just want to say, my samsung note 3, prints perfectly, and have done so for the last year.

This shouldnt be a Samsung issue on ios8 ???

10. Diane B

Diane B
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    You might check the Apple Support Forum searching Air Print. There are quite a few with Air print issues, including me. Supposedly Apple says that the manufacturers need to issue updates for IOS 8. i understand that Samsung did for their AP printers, I have an older HP 3511, says my software is up to date but after updating to 8.1 from 8.0.2 today I still don't have Air Print though the apps find the printer, it sometimes spools but can't print. My printer had capability of printing from Wireless Direct which requires two more steps (you have to select the printer in settings/wifi and after printing go back ti settings/wifi and choose the network again) so I can still print.