What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I can't add files/ebooks properly using ITunes

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The extra copy is probably being held in a folder within the Safari "sandbox". I'm surprised your not using the dedicated Dropbox app, it will save all the hassle of Safari navigation, an couple of clicks and you can open in iBook directly from the Dropbox app.

I don't want to comment on the file sizes, but your quoting of sizes seems to contradict itself. Maybe review that and re-post for clarity?

BTW, did you see my post above re transferring files to iBooks via iTunes and Music? Please review the process, because it will save a lot of hassle for you.
The reason I ditched ITunes for adding ebooks was simply because it was ignoring some books I added. I had all the trouble of adding several books, I mean, over 30 GB and 1.000 ebooks, only to discover a few of them were being ignored for unknown reasons.

I have a free Dropbox account, so only 2 GB are available to me and I can delete the contents from Dropbox after they are downloaded to IBooks.

I was thinking about adding those books using the USB connection and in the Apps area where you can see the "Add" button for each specific software installed in your IPAD. Unfortunatelly, IBooks is not being listed AT ALL in this area, but other apps such as PDF Reader Lite are, and you can add/delete the ebooks to them, and see their complete list of files associated with.

Once again, I really don't know why IBooks is not being listed. It's like IBooks is not just another app.

What I need is all those PDF files stored physically in this IPAD and all other copies, available on the internet or my PC Hard Drive, erased from the existence.

The extra copy is probably being held in a folder within the Safari "sandbox".
How can I make sure there's no extra copy stored elsewhere and delete them?

Beards

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't forget, with Dropbox you can add a file then delete to free up your allowance and carry on doing this until you have all your files transferred to Dropbox.
The beauty of this transfer, delete, transfer, delete etc etc is although you have deleted the file in Dropbox Dropbox though stores ALL deleted files is the rubbish bin for 30 day. As such you simply undelete whatever file you previously added to Dropbox then transfer said file over to your iPad.
All done using less than your 2GB limit.

MoonlitSonata

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Alyou have to do is drag your files to the area of iTunes that says Books, Movies, Music, etc on your iPad. It will sync automatically.

OP
GKar

GKar

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just confirmed my own theory. IBooks was deleted from my IPAD and in the usage statistics, it says 1.8 GB is being used and 55.4 GB are free. What is consuming 1.8 GB? I don't have anything else installed in this device.

Before I did that, the IPAD said 1.4 GB were used by IBooks, but I only had less than 900 MB of data downloaded to IBooks.

Where's CCleaner when we need it?

(I deleted cookies/temporary files in Settings > Safari, but that only changed from 1.8 to 1.6 GB used).

Whoa, I just discovered a bug! After I deleted IBooks, I added again. I assumed all ebooks were deleted in the first time. However, in the usage statistics it says the books are there after I installed again. And they really are, in the "PDFs" section. I just can't delete them from my IPAD.

Update: I deleted all PDFs manually, using IBooks "edit" option.

Now it's saying 909 MB are used (nothing from IBooks except the app itself), 56.3 GB free. I am going to assume IPAD 4 uses almost 1 GB for its OS with all default settings.

Edit: I decided to give ITunes another chance, so far it's working.

Last edited:

Most reactions