What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am planning on purchasing the new ipad mini.

mom_oxo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am recently retired and decided that I will purchase a new ipad mini next week. I have never owned an Apple product.
I would like to be able to transfer my pictures from my Canon PowerShot S95 to the ipad. I know I will have to purchase a special cord,
but someone posted on the Apple site, that it didn't work on her camer, same as mine. Any ideas?
That is the only question I have right now.
Thanks.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums from Australia.... The new mini assuming it will be announced would be a great product for you. I cannot see why a genuine Apple branded adapter would not work. You have two choices one is a USB to lightening and the other is Sdhd to lightening adapter. The 16 gb may be more than enough depending how many pictures who wish to keep on the iPad. If you have further questions please ask.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi Mom.. - agree w/ Colin - shortly Apple will be announcing its new fall products which may include a Mini 2 w/ 'retina display', so I'm assuming that you are waiting for that event (October 22, I believe) - your two major decisions will be the amount of storage desired (16, 32, etc. GB) and whether you want cellular in addition to Wi-Fi? If you plan to put a LOT of images on the device (along w/ movies, music, etc.) then 32 GB might be your better choice?

Concerning your camera, a USB cable should have been included & I'm assuming that you have a SD card (or one of higher/quicker capacity) - you'll need to purchase a CCK (Camera Connection Kit) as shown below w/ a Lightning adapter (if you want to use both your USB cable AND a SD card, then two purchases, so yet another decision). Now, there are some newer digital cameras and/or SD cards w/ 'built-in' Wi-Fi - I've been quite interested in this option but have not explored the possibilities, especially w/ my older digital cameras. Good luck and keep us informed - Dave :)

CCK_Mini.jpg

OP
M

mom_oxo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. Now let me get this straight, a Lightning adapter connects to the ipad? And I can purchase an adapter that can house my memory card, or purchase a different one that connects my camera to the ipad, with the usb adapter that came with the camera?
I feel like I am in kindergarden :(

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. Now let me get this straight, a Lightning adapter connects to the ipad? And I can purchase an adapter that can house my memory card, or purchase a different one that connects my camera to the ipad, with the usb adapter that came with the camera?
I feel like I am in kindergarden :(

Hi again - first, the iPad Mini (whether the older one or the next one) w/ have a Lightning docking adapter (i.e. the smaller connection vs. the 30-pin wider adapter that is on my iPad 2); thus, you'll need to obtain the CCK (Camera Connection Kit) options that will plug into that docking site - second, there are two choices, one that will accept a standard USB male connector (your camera's cable should have that at one end & a mini-USB connector at the other to plug into your camera) and another that will accept a SD card (or variant) - check the Apple Store HERE for pics, prices, and also comments - these CCK adapters seem to be getting mixed reviews, so you might want to read several; also, Apple's offerings are not cheap ($29 each) - there are 3rd party providers (just look on Amazon), but the reviews there are also likely to be mixed - good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions - Dave :)

Most reactions

Latest posts