What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hulu plus app

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've been using Netflix and it's been streaming fairly well with not reall any interruptions...was wondering how the hulu plus app streams? I know a lot of people are upset with the $7.99 subscription but does it stream without much buffering like my Netflix app will?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Works ok when my internet is working well. The computer is better at buffering when the net connection is dodgy. I've never used the Netflix app, so I can't make a direct comparison. I have used ABC's app for streaming shows on the iPad, and it's about the same.

deckyon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.sturmphoto.com
I think People are most upset that they pay $8 and still have to deal with commercials. I dont think it is the streaming quality that is the issue. Personally, if you are already paying a subscription fee, there should be no commercials. This is why I dont subscribe to Hulu.

PS - I love my Netflix.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I look at the fee, then I consider how much more I'd be paying for cable TV, and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Hold in mind I watch most of my stuff on the computer, and only occasionally use the iPad. There are a few benefits to having Hulu Plus, even for the computer. One is that a lot of the shows lose the expiration date. And there is a little bit more content.

I've considered Netflix, but I'm more interested in TV shows than movies. While both services have both, Hulu looks to have more of the shows I'm interested in. At least for now.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yea I hear ya....I don't mind paying the 8 bucks as I am with Netflix also......nor do I really mind the commercials, there a lot shorter thanks regular tv commercials. If I get it I just want it to stream without stopping a lot.....as does my abc app sometimes

freebirdforever

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
senshudo.tv
I must say that july plus has impressed me and it almost allowed me to cancel cable. The only thing its missing is BBC for top gear. :)

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:
I must say that july plus has impressed me and it almost allowed me to cancel cable. The only thing its missing is BBC for top gear. :)

Well what about the rest of the months?! Lol jk I'm with ya

thekarens

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hili is great, but Hulu Plus is very limited for the price and what you get. I'd recommend Netflix, regular Hulu and watching shows directly from the network websites and skip Hulu Plus.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Has anyone else noticed how hard a time the auto correct has with the word Hulu?

If I was still on the road a lot for my job I think I would have both the Hulu app and Netflix. As it is now, I generally watch everything at home so using a remote desktop connection to view Hulu from my PC is a much cheaper option. I really have to wonder how long Hulu is going to be around. I know they have some serious money behind them, but they almost seem to be in a no-win situation when it comes to charging for content.

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DaveSt said:
Has anyone else noticed how hard a time the auto correct has with the word Hulu?

If I was still on the road a lot for my job I think I would have both the Hulu app and Netflix. As it is now, I generally watch everything at home so using a remote desktop connection to view Hulu from my PC is a much cheaper option. I really have to wonder how long Hulu is going to be around. I know they have some serious money behind them, but they almost seem to be in a no-win situation when it comes to charging for content.

Hmm so I can download a remote desktop and stream the regular hulu website from my laptop to my iPad???

OP
accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:

Then why don't everyone that's complaining about hulu plus jus do that? What's a good remote desktop app and how hard is it to set up?

stever

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
I look at the fee, then I consider how much more I'd be paying for cable TV, and it doesn't bother me anymore.
I kind of go at that from the other direction.

I already DO pay much more for cable.
Local news is important to me. Too many of the awful things my wife likes to watch are only available on cable. My Internet is through my cable too, and is cheaper because we get both services. Cable is a given.

THEN I look at yet another fee on top of that for H+.
All I really gain is being to watch things I am already paying for, just to watch them on the go, in a few more places, etc.

So not really worth it to me.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
freebirdforever said:

Then why don't everyone that's complaining about hulu plus jus do that? What's a good remote desktop app and how hard is it to set up?

The best one I have found for streaming audio + video is Splashtop (GentleFury's discovery, not mine). As far as setup goes, it is almost trivial. You install the app on your iPad and also install a service on either your Windows or OS X machine. As long as the service is running and your PC is awake, the Splashtop app will see your computer and you will be able to connect to it.

You might find yourself using remote desktop for more than just watching video. I actually surf the web that way more times than not now as my PC is MUCH faster at browsing the web than my iPad is, and I can also view other Flash enabled websites that way. It is money well spent.

One thing to note is depending on what kind of upload speed your ISP provides you, this may only be a viable solution while you are at home on your WiFi network. If you have slow upload speeds this won't do you much good away from home.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts