1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Hulu plus app

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by accordlayingkit, Feb 7, 2011.

1. accordlayingkit

accordlayingkit iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I've been using Netflix and it's been streaming fairly well with not reall any interruptions...was wondering how the hulu plus app streams? I know a lot of people are upset with the $7.99 subscription but does it stream without much buffering like my Netflix app will?
  2. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    Works ok when my internet is working well. The computer is better at buffering when the net connection is dodgy. I've never used the Netflix app, so I can't make a direct comparison. I have used ABC's app for streaming shows on the iPad, and it's about the same.
  3. deckyon

deckyon iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I think People are most upset that they pay $8 and still have to deal with commercials. I dont think it is the streaming quality that is the issue. Personally, if you are already paying a subscription fee, there should be no commercials. This is why I dont subscribe to Hulu.

PS - I love my Netflix.
  4. twerppoet

twerppoet iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,914 / 1
    I look at the fee, then I consider how much more I'd be paying for cable TV, and it doesn't bother me anymore.

Hold in mind I watch most of my stuff on the computer, and only occasionally use the iPad. There are a few benefits to having Hulu Plus, even for the computer. One is that a lot of the shows lose the expiration date. And there is a little bit more content.

I've considered Netflix, but I'm more interested in TV shows than movies. While both services have both, Hulu looks to have more of the shows I'm interested in. At least for now.
  5. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Yea I hear ya....I don't mind paying the 8 bucks as I am with Netflix also......nor do I really mind the commercials, there a lot shorter thanks regular tv commercials. If I get it I just want it to stream without stopping a lot.....as does my abc app sometimes
  6. freebirdforever

freebirdforever iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    I must say that july plus has impressed me and it almost allowed me to cancel cable. The only thing its missing is BBC for top gear. :)
  7. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well what about the rest of the months?! Lol jk I'm with ya
  8. thekarens

thekarens iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hili is great, but Hulu Plus is very limited for the price and what you get. I'd recommend Netflix, regular Hulu and watching shows directly from the network websites and skip Hulu Plus.
  9. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Has anyone else noticed how hard a time the auto correct has with the word Hulu?

If I was still on the road a lot for my job I think I would have both the Hulu app and Netflix. As it is now, I generally watch everything at home so using a remote desktop connection to view Hulu from my PC is a much cheaper option. I really have to wonder how long Hulu is going to be around. I know they have some serious money behind them, but they almost seem to be in a no-win situation when it comes to charging for content.
  10. freebirdforever

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Funny thing about auto correct, it isn't.
  11. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hmm so I can download a remote desktop and stream the regular hulu website from my laptop to my iPad???
  12. freebirdforever

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +13 / 0
    Yah
  13. accordlayingkit

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Then why don't everyone that's complaining about hulu plus jus do that? What's a good remote desktop app and how hard is it to set up?
  14. stever

stever iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I kind of go at that from the other direction.

I already DO pay much more for cable.
    Local news is important to me. Too many of the awful things my wife likes to watch are only available on cable. My Internet is through my cable too, and is cheaper because we get both services. Cable is a given.

THEN I look at yet another fee on top of that for H+.
    All I really gain is being to watch things I am already paying for, just to watch them on the go, in a few more places, etc.

So not really worth it to me.

15. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The best one I have found for streaming audio + video is Splashtop (GentleFury's discovery, not mine). As far as setup goes, it is almost trivial. You install the app on your iPad and also install a service on either your Windows or OS X machine. As long as the service is running and your PC is awake, the Splashtop app will see your computer and you will be able to connect to it.

You might find yourself using remote desktop for more than just watching video. I actually surf the web that way more times than not now as my PC is MUCH faster at browsing the web than my iPad is, and I can also view other Flash enabled websites that way. It is money well spent.

One thing to note is depending on what kind of upload speed your ISP provides you, this may only be a viable solution while you are at home on your WiFi network. If you have slow upload speeds this won't do you much good away from home.
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2011
  16. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    I use it everyday!
  17. SheerLuckHolmes

SheerLuckHolmes iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This may be off topic, however, I've been wanting to cut out cable also. The only channels I watch are the Discovery channel, The Sceince channel and TLC.

I haven't seen where I can replace these with any source other than cable. Can anyone direct me? I'd love to be able to get the Apple TV box and stream through my iPad.
  18. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Sadly I still have cable because the only channels we watch is Discovery, Science, Food, Showtime, and HBO.....otherwise I would switch it off too!! Really no good way to get any of that content.

Hulu is great for network shows tho. I have a Mac Mini in the living room that lets me watch anything off Hulu....pretty awesome....the only thing that sucks is that it uses Flash and not H.264....really hoping they release a Hulu App in the App store that works like the iPad Hulu...much better picture quality and no stuttery flash BS.
  19. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    lol... if Hulu is stuttering on your Mac Mini that just convinced me to not get one. I watch Hulu on my dual core netbook all the time ($229) and it is smooth as butter. (sorry .. couldn't resist)
  20. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    It only stutters when you use Flash 10.1 because assholes that adobe is has not implemented support for its graphics.....downgrading to the last version before 10.1 makes for smooth playback...but I still hate flash. Yesterday ads were just freezing during playback on my 8-core mac pro!! Content was smooth but 30 second ads took a minute since I had to wait for them to wake up as they played.