1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Hulu vs netflix

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by Wakawaka, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Anyone use hulu or netflix? What do you think?

I watched a movie in bed with my boo the other night via netflix streaming. It was actually pretty good.

How about hulu? In all the reviews I have read, everyone complains about commercials an if they have to pay per month, they should be commercial free. I guess these folks don't have directv or comcast.. I pay 80 a month for directv which has commercials. So I'm confused on that aspect lol

But I've yet to read any reviews about quality or of the sort.

Anyones thoughts??
  2. skatealex2

skatealex2 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thing is that hulu is free from a laptop or computer so it's pretty ridiculous that they are charging so much for that and showing ads in it. I haven't tried it because like was said it cost money, which there is no way I would pay to use a site that is usually free and along with that it also has ads on it.

I canceled my netflix account awhile ago cause I'm waiting for them to add more studios for viewing online but I'd guess netflix is definitely better without having tried hulu just from seeing all the 1 star reviews alone and the fact that it is double the price of netflix with ads included, #### that IMO.
  3. Jake18oly

Jake18oly iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I only use netflix and I love it on the iPad. I am not going to pay for Hulu as long as it continues to show ads for its "plus" service. I don't think ads should be included. Not to mention you can watch many of the same shows on netflix and the new ones I record on my DVR. Just my two cents.
  4. wrecklass

wrecklass iPad Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Netflix all the way. I love the service and use it nearly everyday. Great service and streaming content growing daily. Plus you can get DVDs when streaming is not available.

I had Hulu plus for a month and dropped it. Comparing it to cable is completely off the mark. Remember to watch Hulu you need an Internet provider. Then you pay Hulu a monthly fee, and on top of BOTH of those charges you get Commercials. So you are paying three times for the content. If you get your broadband Internet for free this may almost be a good deal.

Basically Hulu Plus feels like Comcast On-Demand with commercials.

The other mark against Hulu is Netflix. I found more shows I wanted to watch on Netflix and got them free of ads.

If Hulu Plus were the only game in town it might almost look appealing. In reality I find it a sad third:

1) TiVo with Cable for the most new shows and live sports. And I can skip commercials!
    2) Netflix for tons of streaming content, ad-free.
    3) Hulu Plus for a smattering of good shows, with commercials that cannot be skipped.

The Hulu team needs a new game plan. Drop the subs, keep the ads and get a lot more content.
  5. Hawon

Hawon iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I don't really use July anymore... Netflix FTW!!!
  6. Wakawaka

Wakawaka iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm having a hard time finding shows on netflix. I love fox lineup

House, IRT, simpsons, how it's made are my favorite lineup.
  7. blondiek237

blondiek237 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just a note

Comcast On-Demand does now have commercials. On the couple of TV shows I have watched-there is a commerical in the beginning and another on the middle--it bugs the heck out of me

Lyn
  8. arshield

arshield iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I haven't tried Hulu yet. I am not put off by the commercials as much as the $10. I pay for netflix but that also includes physical movies in the mail. For me that is about 4 a month. On hulu I already have cable for my tv, can already stream hulu on my tv, have cable on demand and the network websites. So I have not tried it.
  9. EZ-BAKED

EZ-BAKED iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    netflix 100% the best.
  10. chisaki

chisaki iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I checked out Hulu, the content was far inferior to Netflix for the things I like

Netflix is great, I use it, on my 64GB Wi-Fi iPad, in airports and hotels to watch dozens of movies and TV shows.
  11. gregb

gregb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I use Netflix's Roku and it's good.
  12. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Although kinda hot here in Arizona, I still get a lot of use out of July.

Gotta love auto-correct sometimes. ;)

Michael
  13. epb

epb iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    I've had Netflix since I got my iPad, but Hulu+ wouldn't let me sign up until this week (I got an invite). I'll be trying out the content on both and see which I like the most. A big plus in Hulu's category is they have "John Doe," and old Fox show I liked that I haven't seen anywhere else.
  14. Ndeb

Ndeb iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Netflix

Netflix picture quality is great with wifi, pretty bad quality and lots of pauses with at&t 3g.
  15. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Now that Netflix has announced added NBC content (see front page for details) including Eureka and BSG, I think I will have to pull the trigger and give it a shot.

Has anyone out there tried streaming Hulu content to their Ipad using TVersity? I tried it with my Ipod Touch at a friend's house some time ago and it worked fairly well although the Hulu content navigation left a little to be desired. The quality was just fine however. I'm pretty sure you need the "Pro" version to stream to iOS devices ($40) but that is always an option over the $10 per month Hulu+.
  16. tosh.jc

tosh.jc iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was also going to comment on how funny it is seeing all these words that don't fit, knowing they were typed up on an iPad.

I don't even use Hulu on my PC. I find it to be a cumbersome website and the adverts test my patience. I use Netflix and swear by it. Netflix has entire seasons available for streaming, and they stay up to date on some shows' current seasons.
  17. MattIM

MattIM Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53 / 0
    I got the Hulu app when it first appeared. I occasionally ran it to see what shows I could view in the free gallery. I waited several weeks and finally received my invitation to join Hulu, which I did. But I did not complete the process because I had to commit to buying my membership. Like the Wall Street Journal app and People magazine app, I did not want to buy any subscriptions for content I could get somewhere else for free.

I now have a page of apps that I acquired and have regulated as apps that I have found useless. Hulu is on that page and when the new os4 comes out, there will be a similar file folder.

I started a subscription to Netflix. Not only am I familiar with how it works, but the new iPad app makes it very easy to get what I want from this company. I am also getting 1500 AAdvantage miles for going thru American Airlines frequent flyer club.
  18. irwaffles

irwaffles iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've only used Hulu+ so far and there are commercials for some of the content, not all of them. But after reading all these posts I think I'll give Netflix a shot. Hulu's content is great for TV shoes (at least the ones I like) but I'll see how Netflix floats my boat and I'll report back.
  19. DaveSt

DaveSt iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went ahead and signed up for the one month trial with Netflix and it is awesome. The quality over my wi-fi connection is very good although I do occasionally see the picture get a little fuzzy for a minute or so. Half the reason I wanted the Ipad was for watching TV and movies and Netflix fills that role quite nicely. Being able to rent actual DVDs is going to be a nice plus as well.
  20. thomasfals

thomasfals iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Netflix 100% for me