What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hulu vs netflix

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone use hulu or netflix? What do you think?

I watched a movie in bed with my boo the other night via netflix streaming. It was actually pretty good.

How about hulu? In all the reviews I have read, everyone complains about commercials an if they have to pay per month, they should be commercial free. I guess these folks don't have directv or comcast.. I pay 80 a month for directv which has commercials. So I'm confused on that aspect lol

But I've yet to read any reviews about quality or of the sort.

Anyones thoughts??

skatealex2

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thing is that hulu is free from a laptop or computer so it's pretty ridiculous that they are charging so much for that and showing ads in it. I haven't tried it because like was said it cost money, which there is no way I would pay to use a site that is usually free and along with that it also has ads on it.

I canceled my netflix account awhile ago cause I'm waiting for them to add more studios for viewing online but I'd guess netflix is definitely better without having tried hulu just from seeing all the 1 star reviews alone and the fact that it is double the price of netflix with ads included, #### that IMO.

Jake18oly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I only use netflix and I love it on the iPad. I am not going to pay for Hulu as long as it continues to show ads for its "plus" service. I don't think ads should be included. Not to mention you can watch many of the same shows on netflix and the new ones I record on my DVR. Just my two cents.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix all the way. I love the service and use it nearly everyday. Great service and streaming content growing daily. Plus you can get DVDs when streaming is not available.

I had Hulu plus for a month and dropped it. Comparing it to cable is completely off the mark. Remember to watch Hulu you need an Internet provider. Then you pay Hulu a monthly fee, and on top of BOTH of those charges you get Commercials. So you are paying three times for the content. If you get your broadband Internet for free this may almost be a good deal.

Basically Hulu Plus feels like Comcast On-Demand with commercials.

The other mark against Hulu is Netflix. I found more shows I wanted to watch on Netflix and got them free of ads.

If Hulu Plus were the only game in town it might almost look appealing. In reality I find it a sad third:

1) TiVo with Cable for the most new shows and live sports. And I can skip commercials!
2) Netflix for tons of streaming content, ad-free.
3) Hulu Plus for a smattering of good shows, with commercials that cannot be skipped.

The Hulu team needs a new game plan. Drop the subs, keep the ads and get a lot more content.

OP
W

Wakawaka

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time finding shows on netflix. I love fox lineup

House, IRT, simpsons, how it's made are my favorite lineup.

blondiek237

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just a note

Comcast On-Demand does now have commercials. On the couple of TV shows I have watched-there is a commerical in the beginning and another on the middle--it bugs the heck out of me

Lyn

arshield

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mrshields.com
I haven't tried Hulu yet. I am not put off by the commercials as much as the $10. I pay for netflix but that also includes physical movies in the mail. For me that is about 4 a month. On hulu I already have cable for my tv, can already stream hulu on my tv, have cable on demand and the network websites. So I have not tried it.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked out Hulu, the content was far inferior to Netflix for the things I like

Netflix is great, I use it, on my 64GB Wi-Fi iPad, in airports and hotels to watch dozens of movies and TV shows.

epb

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I checked out Hulu, the content was far inferior to Netflix for the things I like

I've had Netflix since I got my iPad, but Hulu+ wouldn't let me sign up until this week (I got an invite). I'll be trying out the content on both and see which I like the most. A big plus in Hulu's category is they have "John Doe," and old Fox show I liked that I haven't seen anywhere else.

Ndeb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Netflix

Netflix picture quality is great with wifi, pretty bad quality and lots of pauses with at&t 3g.

DaveSt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now that Netflix has announced added NBC content (see front page for details) including Eureka and BSG, I think I will have to pull the trigger and give it a shot.

Has anyone out there tried streaming Hulu content to their Ipad using TVersity? I tried it with my Ipod Touch at a friend's house some time ago and it worked fairly well although the Hulu content navigation left a little to be desired. The quality was just fine however. I'm pretty sure you need the "Pro" version to stream to iOS devices ($40) but that is always an option over the $10 per month Hulu+.

Most reactions

Latest posts