What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hp laserjet p1102w and air print

mufffyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all newbie here I hope this is in the right place, apologies if it's not and I know air printer topics are done to death, but know one seems to be reporting on my symptoms. Here goes then.

I've setup the printer and it works really well using the AirPrint functionality. I have also upgraded the printer the latest firmware etc etc. Set static ip address too. It does not matter if the printer auto turns off or is set to being on all the time. The printer config says its online. Furthermore, the pc can print to each time.

However, there is one really niggling problem. Every time the iPad goes to sleep, after about fifteen minutes or so, I pick it up to see if my printer is still detected and it states no air printers found. The only way I can get the iPad to find the printer is to go to settings wifi. Listed in the wifi networks is my ISP Sid name and also the printer name is there too as if it was a network to connect to. I can even choose the printer as a network to connect to. That is how I get the printer connected to the iPad. I set the wifi network settings to the printer and then change it back to my network LAN.

Does anybody know
1, why the printer is not staying connected when the iPad sleeps?
2, why does the printer appear as a network to connect to?

Any help would be greatly appreciated for this nooby boy

Thanks

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sounds more like when the iPad sleeps, it drops the wifi network (which is normal). When it starts up, it has to first reconnect to the network. Have you tried waiting a short time after the iPad establishes the wifi connection again before trying the printer?

Does not the iPad poll for printers at the point of hitting the print button? If so, and the printer does not appear, may the printer's method of broadcasting itself on the network has changed with the firmware update.

fleur07

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sounds like dehewson is trying to help you already!

Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us. If you have any questions, the Search feature will be your best friend. If that doesn't work, just wait someone will be around with the answers you seek. With over 200,000 members I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

While you're *looking around *here are a few links you may find useful.

We have an iPad manual available for download incase you ever need it.
Apple - Support - Manuals

Did you know we have our own App - Its pretty easy to use.
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/discussion-forum-for-ipad/id412896524?mt=8

We also have a gaming section. There is bound to be something there you like.
iPad Games
iPad Game Specific

Last but not least. Everyone has to play by the rules here. Please read them and keep them in mind when you post. http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Again Welcome and We hope you Enjoy Your Time Here!

Fleur*

OP
M

mufffyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi dhewson,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have waited a good hour to see if the printer will reappear on the iPad and it does not.

The only way I can get it to connect to the printer is to select the printer under settings wifi and select the printer as a network. When the printer is selected obviously I loose Internet connectivity. I switch back to my LAN and the printer is connected. Very strange?

OP
M

mufffyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi one other thing I have just tried. I switched the iPad to airplane mode and back again and that also brings the printer in.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
mufffyy said:
Hi dhewson,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have waited a good hour to see if the printer will reappear on the iPad and it does not.

The only way I can get it to connect to the printer is to select the printer under settings wifi and select the printer as a network. When the printer is selected obviously I loose Internet connectivity. I switch back to my LAN and the printer is connected. Very strange?

One thing I did not pick up on before was the mention of printer not being on the LAN/wifi network. I would suggest checking the manual to change the wifi set-up of the printer to join your wifi network. Usually the set-up process (if followed) will take you through this process.

This will be where you are running into problems. Read from page 28 of the User Guide re wireless set-up. It sounds like you've done the ad-hoc set-up rather than the networked set-up. Probably start at page 31 to walk through getting it on your network.

Last edited:
OP
M

mufffyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, one thing I have noticed is the printer is setup for wireless direct printing. This seems to be why the printer is appearing as a network.

I will try and disable this and see what happens.

OP
M

mufffyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok so far so good. The printer is no longer appearing as a network and it is still in my printer list to print. So I will see if it disappears when the iPad sleeps and comes back on its own accord.

OP
M

mufffyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well the printer does still disappears when the iPad sleeps. After about 5 or 6 searches for the printer it does come back again.

This must be just how it is.

Thanks for your help

OP
M

mufffyy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I would update this post with my new findings.

I finally ditched the talktalk router which was a dlink 2680. This router does not support bonjour properly and does not forward on the packets to the printer.

I have purchased a netgear n300 for 55 quid and everything came in straight out the box with no configuration required. When the iPad sleeps the printer remains connected.

Problem solved.

Most reactions

Latest posts