What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wireless Print using HP Direct Print Feature

GoldW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm trying to print to a new HP P1109W wireless printer using the printer's built-in Direct Print feature with no router or Internet connection. The iPad uses Verizon Cellular service for internet access. The IPad can see the printer's broadcasted wifi network and connect to it. The printer shows up and can be selected from the printer list but when the print is submitted, it seems to lose the cellular Internet connection and nothing prints. I need to disconnect the wifi connection to re-establish the Verizon connection. Does the iPad not allow both the cell network and wifi network to coexist? I also tried activating the iPad's wifi hotspot and connecting the printer to that wifi network. Once again, the iPad can see the printer but nothing prints. Any suggestions? Thanks.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi GoldW - please review the links offered by Johanna. Your printer according to HERE is AirPrint compatible but would require a Wi-Fi network in which both the printer and your iPad are connected - this does NOT seem to be your setup - correct?

Apple devices do not seem to do Wi-Fi Direct (see quote below) w/o the use of an app on your iPad (I made a comment on one of the links given above) - I would suggest visiting HP support for your printer and/or the iPad App store and search on HP printer apps - you likely need an app on your device to print. Dave :)

Wi-Fi Direct, initially called Wi-Fi P2P, is a Wi-Fi standard enabling devices to easily connect with each other without requiring a wireless access point. It is useful for everything from internet browsing to file transfer, and to communicate with one or more devices simultaneously at typical Wi-Fi speeds - Wiki Source.

Most reactions

Latest posts