What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Howdy from Houston, Texas

Cooltouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey folks,

I've had my iPad Air for a couple of months now, but only just recently found out about this forum. So, glad to be here and all that.

I'm a musician and I bought my iPad primarily for using it for music composition and recording. Slowly coming up to speed in that area. The "iPad for Musicians" sub-forum has already helped me a lot.

I have a question, though. How do I recall a saved draft of a post? I was in the middle of writing a post just a few minutes ago when my iPad crashed. First time I ever had that happen. It went all the way back to the Apple logo, as if I'd just turned it on.

It would be nice if the forum remembered that post, so I won't have to retype everything. But since I can't find a way to call up a draft, I guess I'm stuck. Any assistance you can provide would be appreciated.

By the way, I'm using a Sharkk bluetooth keyboard to type this. It's a lot faster than using the on-screen keyboard. Fairly cheap, too. I think I paid about $40 for it at Amazon. Nope, not a Sharkk or Amazon rep, yadee yadee, just a satisfied customer.

Best,
Michael

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is possible in website view or on the website. After some time, iPF automatically saves your post. And you'll notice this when you see a yellow sign like this:
image.jpg
If the app crashes, and you go back to your post, you should see the possibility to show the saved part, somewhere next to "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced". If you select this, the part that was saved before crashing, will appear, and you can type from there on.

This happened to me once, that's why I know that it's possible. :)

Hope that helps.

And, btw: welcome to iPF!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
When your browser crashes, let it recover your open tabs (automatic in Safari). This will sometimes recover the edited text as well; probably because it's stored in the site's local cookie/data.

If it doesn't, then it doesn't and you're out of luck. And I feel for you. I've lost some lengthy posts in the past.

Which is why, when I know I'm going to type something really long, I usually do it in a text app then copy/paste it into the site.

OP
C

Cooltouch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips, y'all. Twerppoet, I've done this sort of thing on my desktop when encountering stability issues, just never thought to do it on my iPad yet because it's been so stable. Although I've inadvertently touched an area of the screen before that's dumped me out somewhere, far from where I'd been, but I've usually been able to recover from that. I'm grateful for the auto save function, though, because I probably will have an occasion in the future to use it.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No problem.

As with all things computer, luck plays a big part in recovering data after a crash.

I'm surprised your iPad crashed into a complete reboot. That's rare, or supposed to be, with the newer models. Older models running the latest iOS version are more prone to it, due to their more limited RAM. An iPad 2 on iOS 7 is pushing the hardware pretty hard.

Most reactions

Latest posts