What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to upgrade to iPad Air, saving, transferring, selling?

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sure there are a great set of instructions out there but darn if I can find them. I am selling my 4th Gen and buying the 5th or Air. How do I save everything on the old one, get the old one ready to sell and have the new one set up just like the old one. I prefer to do this on the computer through iTunes. Thanks for the help in advance!!!

Unleashed

iPF Noob
Reaction score
all you have to do is open itunes and press backup, this saves everything on your device.. thats all you need to do

OP
Hivoltage

Hivoltage

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Then do I set up my new one as New.....or Restore from Itunes Backup? Then just hit Restore Ipad to get it ready to sell? Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you want the information of your first iPad on the new one, restore from a backup.

On the "old" device, go to Settings - General - Reset - Erase all content and settings. If your software was iOS 7x, you'll have to enter Apple ID and password, in case "Find my iPad" was enabled in iCloud.

That will remove any information on it, and the next owner can set it up without problems.

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As a caution, before you do the "Erase All Content and Settings" option - the iPad will prompt you to turn off the "Find My iPad" security feature; the reset will not run with that on.

And, you'll want to turn off "Find My iPad" anyway. With the new security features of iOS 7, if you leave that on and sell/give your iPad to another, they will not ever be able to restore or upgrade that iPad unless they have your Apple ID.

Again, it's a security feature so that someone can't steal your idevice and then restore it so you can never find it again.

Bottom line - when selling or giving away an iPad, ensure you have turned the "Find My iPad" feature off. Save you and the new owner a bunch of headaches...

Marilyn

richgalen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I transferred my iPad 3 to my iPad Air on Friday using iTunes on my Windows 7 PC.. It seemed a lot - a LOT - easier than when I went from the iPad 1 to the 3. I had a bit of a problem transferring my old B&W murder mysteries, but got it figured out and now my new iPad is set up and running great. Now ... about that jailbreak!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is what I also thought, until recently.

Apple Support gives the advice I posted. Please look at it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5661

I know - I was just pointing out (for emphasis) that you must turn off "Find My iPad" else the "erase all" won't work. You'll get an error notice telling you to turn off the security feature. Once the feature is off, then you can proceed with the erasure. And, yes, you must use your Apple ID and password to turn off the feature...

Then, I added a general precaution to all that turning off "Find My iPad" on an iOS 7 running device is the not-to-be-missed step in transferring an iDevice to another.

We're saying the same things. I was just re-emphasizing this because (1) this security feature is new to iOS 7 and (2) I just did this process yesterday when I gave my iPad 3 to my brother.

Marilyn

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry, I should have read your advice more thoroughly. You're right.

Diane B

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Good reminder Marilyn--i had missed that in prep for transfer. Sitting here waiting for deliver of my Air and making sure both all ipads are ready for transfer.

Most reactions

Latest posts