What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

erasing all data on my ipad air

tempo123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first question so please be patient with me, it is only 7 days that I am in the Apple world and I am so impressed of the quality of it that I would like to upgrade my basic Ipad Air to a better model with cellular and more storage! Like I said before, I never used an Apple device before so I would like to sell my current 16GB wifi Ipad air(a week old) to my sister in law and upgrade to a cellular+wi-fi one with bigger storage. My question is, how do I securely delete all my data, account etc etc... and transfer my currents apps to my new Air (that I haven't got yet)? After deleting everything, would my sister in law be able to start from scratch my Air in the same way that I did when my Air was brand new(following the assisted tutorial on inserting details and creating apple Id etc etc...
Second, is my sister in law still entitled of the free apps, like notes and numbers, when she sign up for an apple id on my Ipad air?
Thank you for your time and patience

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1) Reset the iPad: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
** WARNING ** This will erase ALL content so make sure you export/transfer all of your personal files before doing this.

2) You don't need to transfer the default apps because they will be re-installed with the OS when you set up a new iPad Air (Note: this doesn't apply to other iPad models)

3) Your sister-in-law will start "from scratch" when she signs up for her new Apple ID

4) The free apps will be installed on the iPad Air because those apps are part of the OS when setting up a new iPad Air

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Very important: BEFORE erasing everything: if you have an iCloud account, disable "Find my iPad" and delete the iCloud account.

OP
tempo123

tempo123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) Reset the iPad: Settings > General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings
** WARNING ** This will erase ALL content so make sure you export/transfer all of your personal files before doing this.

2) You don't need to transfer the default apps because they will be re-installed with the OS when you set up a new iPad Air (Note: this doesn't apply to other iPad models)

3) Your sister-in-law will start "from scratch" when she signs up for her new Apple ID

4) The free apps will be installed on the iPad Air because those apps are part of the OS when setting up a new iPad Air

Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.... Now another question, is there a quick way to back up everything I have in my current Air? maybe in the cloud? or my computer (windows)? what will be the best option?
thankyou in advance

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction.... Now another question, is there a quick way to back up everything I have in my current Air? maybe in the cloud? or my computer (windows)? what will be the best option?
thankyou in advance

Make sure you do an iCloud backup: Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Back Up Now
This should back up most of your data (email, contacts, pictures, calendar, note, reminders, etc.) and can be reloaded when you choose to reload from iCloud on your new iPad Air. Any music, apps, and videos you've purchased fro the App Store or iTunes will always stay connected to your Apple ID, so no worries there. I've done this type of reset on my iDevices dozens of times and haven't lost anything yet.. and I don't own a desktop or laptop computer.

For other personal files you can simply upload them to a storage service, such as Dropbox, and download them again on the new device.

Last edited:
OP
tempo123

tempo123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Very important: BEFORE erasing everything: if you have an iCloud account, disable "Find my iPad" and delete the iCloud account.

Yes I have the basic 5Gb free Icloud account and an icloud email address, so would I loose my icloud storage and email by deleting them?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I have the basic 5Gb free Icloud account and an icloud email address, so would I loose my icloud storage and email by deleting them?
No, you won't. You set up the account on your next device, and everything will be there again.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I got a bit lost now, http://www.ipadforums.net/members/193481.htmlardchoille you told me to back up everything in the cloud, but JA suggested to delete the cloud? help
Before deleting the account on your first iPad, backup everything. Then delete the account there.
On your new iPad, setup the account again, and you can restore from this backup.

If you don't delete the iCloud account from the first iPad, the next owner can't use it.

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Before deleting the account on your first iPad, backup everything. Then delete the account there.
On your new iPad, setup the account again, and you can restore from this backup.

If you don't delete the iCloud account from the first iPad, the next owner can't use it.

Just to add to this, this is part of the theft prevention mechanism in new iDevices. And, deleting the account from the iPad doesn't delete it from the cloud, it just removes it from that particualr device.

OP
tempo123

tempo123

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Ok, so am I correct on saying that I need to have the second Air with me to back up everything on it and only after that I can delete the cloud on my first and then erasing all the data?
Sorry if I am a bit thick

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so am I correct on saying that I need to have the second Air with me to back up everything on it and only after that I can delete the cloud on my first and then erasing all the data? Sorry if I am a bit thick
No, you don't need it. You backup to iCloud. The backup will be stored "in the cloud". From there, you can put it to the new iPad. You don't have to connect both devices to each other. (That's not possible.)

ardchoille

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Ok, so am I correct on saying that I need to have the second Air with me to back up everything on it and only after that I can delete the cloud on my first and then erasing all the data?
Sorry if I am a bit thick

No, go ahead and delete the account from the first iPad Air after you've made an iCloud backup and trasnferred all other personal files - your data stays in the cloud even if you don't own any devices. Think of your device as a "data reader" and your iCloud account as a "data provider", that should help you understand the relationship. You will need to choose the "reload from iCloud" choice when setting up the new device.

Most reactions