1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

How to re-arrange icons on iPad (and remove some apps, too)?

Discussion in 'iPad OS' started by ASLazz, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASLazz

ASLazz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello!

I hope this is the right group as I wasn't sure which group to post a question regarding re-arranging and/or removing apps icons.

How do I re-arrange the apps icons to the way I wanted, not controlled by the iPad settings (?) and also how do I remove the apps?

Is there a way to put more apps on one page instead of some in another page, forcing you to go to that page to use the apps (like having specific apps on one main page that opens up when you power up iPad). This standard background of nature mountain that is common in iPad when you receive - it shows limited few apps, not much more like leaving the bottom half empty (except the dock bar). It can be irritating to touch move to the next page to find the appropriate apps. It'd be nice if the apps I use frequently to be on the same page and the others in other pages that's not being used or rarely used. It'd be even more nice if there are more than limited numbers of apps on the main page covering the bottom half all the way down to the dock bar if there's a way to do that?!

I hope I'm making sense as a newbie trying to explain what I'm seeking for.

Thanks for your assistance!
  2. jackwade512

jackwade512 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Moving apps

You should be able to do everything you want. You simply press on an icon and hold it for about 2 seconds. It will highlight and start blinking and an X will come up on the left hand side. If you press the X then the app is deleted. If you put your finger back on any icon you can move the icon to any screen or move one icon on top of another one and it will create a folder (definitely the preferred method).

All of the above works on all screens. Also, remember that you can put now put 6 apps on the task bar at the bottom. Hope this helps.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Deback

Deback iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Create folders

Ok, I try to drag an icon onto another and it just pops off...I cannot create a folder. Any idea why?
  4. Deback

Deback iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would like to know the answer as I am wandering the same regarding folders.
  5. NumbLock

NumbLock iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Drag one icon over another and hold to make folders. You should also take a look at the Video FAQ in my sig. It demonstrates several of these things.
  6. robertlc

robertlc iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sounds like the OP may not be upgraded to the latest iOS version.
  7. ASLazz

ASLazz iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks, Jackwade512 for your answer!
  8. Major Eazy

Major Eazy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Relax, you are not doing anything wrong, just that from the sounds of what you said, you have iOS 3 which wasn't designed to allow you to do this.

Drag an icon onto another to create a folder only applies to the upgraded operating system, the iOS 4.

There seems to be a misunderstanding between members here, as some didn't mention what iOS they have and those giving answers thinks everyone have iOS 4 but never thought to consider what if those needing answers like you, may still have the eariler system.

This is not a fault, just that it wasn't designed to do this in iOS 3, but can be done in iOS 4.
  9. MachThree

MachThree iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Also, you can do this from within iTunes - select your iPad from the left hand pane and then select "Apps" from the selection bar running across the top of the right hand pane. You can then organize your apps as needed, and its a bit easier than doing it on the iPad itself, IMHO.

Also, so far I've been able to create folders etc. using the iPad itself but cannot move an icon from one screen to another - if I drag it off the side I think it just starts to scroll to the next screen and then comes back.
  10. Major Eazy

Major Eazy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This could be becuase you already have the maximum number of Home screens. The iPad can have a maximum of 11 Home screens if I understand it correctly and that's for iOS 3.
  11. MachThree

MachThree iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Since got it to work - its a little tricky (and then once it starts scrolling between screens while you're dragging an icon, it doesn't want to stop!
  12. Major Eazy

Major Eazy iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I found out that if you try to drag the icon to the next screen, sometimes the icon will escape and return to its original position, the best thing to do is to slow down, and stop when you reach the edge of the screen, hold it there, as if it looks like half of the icon stayed in the current Home screen, the other half went out of view. The Home screen will then move to the next Home screen, then you can continue your operation.

Yes, you're dead right, they are tricky!!!! Takes some getting used to.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Rfiveh2003

Rfiveh2003 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you, it worked first time for me, found you can also edit the description below the icon at same time.
  14. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I find iTunes is the easiest way to go for re-organizing icons, especially with the iPhone. With patience though, I can do it. Haven't yet organized my iPad yet, but moved one or two icons which was much easier on the bigger screen.
    Removing apps is easy too, just pressing down and holding until they blink, press on it for the confirm delete. Just remember to not re-sync them back on your iPad by un-checking them in iTunes when you do a sync. (or deleting it from iTunes altogether). For paid apps I ended up not using, I just leave them in iTunes unchecked, in case I ever change my mind.
  15. Hasty

Hasty iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22 / 0
    My pet hate is being unable to delete base apple apps like Notes and YouTube. Both of which have ugly icons and are done better by other apps.
  16. Rfiveh2003

Rfiveh2003 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Question for you

Zorah,

New user and when you are talking about Itunes, are you referring to the app installed on the iPad or when plugged into pc. My iPad is a corporate version and I have not attempted to plug into my laptop. My iPad version is very basic.

[

QUOTE=zorah;110324]I find iTunes is the easiest way to go for re-organizing icons, especially with the iPhone. With patience though, I can do it. Haven't yet organized my iPad yet, but moved one or two icons which was much easier on the bigger screen.
    Removing apps is easy too, just pressing down and holding until they blink, press on it for the confirm delete. Just remember to not re-sync them back on your iPad by un-checking them in iTunes when you do a sync. (or deleting it from iTunes altogether). For paid apps I ended up not using, I just leave them in iTunes unchecked, in case I ever change my mind.[/QUOTE]
  17. zorah

zorah iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hi Rfiveh2003:

I am referring to the desktop/PC iTunes. But you can still re-organize icons as described in this thread-just more tedious, and it's not through iTunes then. The formal iTunes on your computer shows all the information and you can move icons around with your mouse a lot easier, and it also will sync your iPad to the computer and back up all the information. Maybe your company does not want the information on your personal laptop, but would they let you do so on a corporate one?
  18. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    Another great reason to jailbreak, you can easily hide apps you don't want using sbsettings!
  19. BrennB

BrennB iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I hide mine in a folder and name it "useless" then move that folder to an empty page. LOL
  20. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    My son in law belongs in that folder!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.