How to open an Internet Shortcut File (.URL) in Safari on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by ldeschenes, Apr 8, 2014.

1. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I’m not sure what functionality a URL file provides over a link, but if it is only extracting the link from the file and opening it in Safari, there is probably a way to do it using the Shortcuts app.

I was going to experiment with it, but can’t find any sample .url files to work with. I might be able to generate my own later. I do have one Windows computer available, but I rarely use it for anything other than amateur radio, so it will take some learning.

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I did finally manage to create some .url files using my Windows machine. I had no luck getting them to work on the iPad, even using Shortcuts. However, I did gain an understanding of what the files do. They are just desktop shortcuts for web browsing.

You can create similar icons/shortcuts on the iPad in Safari itself. Choose the Share icon at the top right (box with and up arrow) and tap Add to Home Screen. If the site has an icon resource or favicon, that will be used as the icon image, otherwise you’ll get a thumbnail of the site.You can rename the icon before saving.

Icons created this way can be moved and placed in folder just like any other home screen icon.

You’ll have to manually re-create your collection this way, but you’d have something similar to what you are used to on Windows.

A somewhat more versatile method might be to use Notes. You can create rich links in notes by dragging the Safari URL or a link into a note while in split view. Later you can open the note in slide over with Safari open. That way you can slide the note over, tap on a link to open it in a new Safari tab, then slide it back out of the way for a full page view.

This would also let you organize your links by topics inside the note using headers and explanatory text; even creating different folders if you need to keep a lot of different subjects organized.

There are probably better ways to achieve your goals, but this is all I can come up with for now.

7F078324-8C0C-44AE-818E-677A7C6C786F.png

BD8CF005-1343-4CA6-995D-75757DE4FD14.png

3. Fred Feuerstein

Fred Feuerstein
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for these tips, Twerppoet, and all the effort you put into answering my query.

I already had the feeling that it would be difficult to get these shortcuts started directly on the iPad (they do work on an iMac, though). But it would be good if I had a chance to access them directly without doing any extra transformation work on the iPad.

But I found out a three-step method: I can copy the url file into my dropbox, save it there and can then open it in Safari. Is there a way of getting this done automatically with the Shortcuts app?

Thanks for your help!
    Fred

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Not that I could find. Because you mentioned Dropbox before, that’s where I did most of my experiments. It’s not a problem grabbing the file from Dropbox, but there is no way to extract the URL from the file. That means the only way to use the file is to open it in another app. None of the browsers I have recognized the file: Safari, Chrome, iCab Mobile.

I saw that the Dropbox app itself exposes the URL. You could probably use a shortcut from the Dropbox app to open the link, but that would actually be slower than just tapping on it and choosing to open it in Safari.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List