What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DMG files

Dave1510

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
I have CCTV set up at home, and am trying to view the live feed from my wifi. (I also am trying to do the same using apps for away from home, but am having issues with ports - anther story!)

On my Windows 8.1 PC, I can enter http://192.168.0.200 and this will bring up the live cctv feed.

On my ipad, things are rather different:

In a Safari tab, if I enter the same, I am prompted to download a safari plug in, and when I click on the Download link, I get asked about opening a dmg file in dropbox:

So, my question is: How can I open this file? If I select "Oopen in Drop box, and try, I get another message saying "Couldn't load file - This type of file can't be viewed"

It says I can open it with other apps, but the only one it suggests is airdrop ?

Any ideas gratefully received - Thanks :confused:

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A DMG file is for Mac OSX only. It's the Mac equivalent of an EXE file. The device must be detecting Safari, but is not smart enough to realise its an iPad and not a Mac.

With networked cameras, it's always a good idea to do the initial setup with a PC or Mac, then use the recommended wireless camera app from the App Store to access with an iPad.

OP
D

Dave1510

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A DMG file is for Mac OSX only. It's the Mac equivalent of an EXE file. The device must be detecting Safari, but is not smart enough to realise its an iPad and not a Mac.

With networked cameras, it's always a good idea to do the initial setup with a PC or Mac, then use the recommended wireless camera app from the App Store to access with an iPad.

Thanks, would have expected ipads to be able to open these files...

I have done the setup with a PC, and I do have the apps on ipad & Phone, BUT... even though my Netgear router has the required ports set as Open, they are not passing tests, so not allowing the CCTV feed to be viewed on the phone.
At least if they were visible via the 192.168... I could at least see feed in the house without having to access the PC's all the time.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad can not open DMG files, because even if it could it couldn't do anything with the contents. At least not normally. There is no intrinsic reason a DMG couldn't contain iPad compatible files, just that it's never been used this way so no DMG you find is likely to have anything useful to an iPad in it.

By the way, DMG is not exactly the same as EXE. EXE is an executable file, usually. DMG is simply a compressed disk image. It may or may not contain executables. It usually does, since this is how many third party developers deliver their apps, but it's not required.

When you open a DMG on a Mac, it mounts and looks just like an external drive. There is usually a software installer inside, or sometimes even simpler, it tells you to drag the app icon into your Application folder.

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
By the way, DMG is not exactly the same as EXE. EXE is an executable file, usually. DMG is simply a compressed disk image. It may or may not contain executables. It usually does, since this is how many third party developers deliver their apps, but it's not required.

When you open a DMG on a Mac, it mounts and looks just like an external drive. There is usually a software installer inside, or sometimes even simpler, it tells you to drag the app icon into your Application folder.

You are right TP, I think I dumbed down my explanation a little too much. :)

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have done the setup with a PC, and I do have the apps on ipad & Phone, BUT... even though my Netgear router has the required ports set as Open, they are not passing tests, so not allowing the CCTV feed to be viewed on the phone.
At least if they were visible via the 192.168... I could at least see feed in the house without having to access the PC's all the time.

Are you using your external IP address allocated by your ISP when trying to access from outside your network?

I have a security camera I have not got around to making available outside my network as yet. I may fiddle around with that and get back here with any additional thoughts I may come up with.

Planet iPad

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Most CCTV systems require the manufactures app to work correctly. If you have the correct app version associated with the manufactures make/model of CCTV, then you'll need to contact the manufacture for assistance as to why it's not working correctly.

OP
D

Dave1510

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,
Yes I do have the manufacturer's app installed, and it's not allowing me to see the Live feed if I'm away from home, and this is because there is an issue with Ports. The above issue, was to try to find a way round this, but as you have all said - that's impossible!

Thanks for the help - I'll persevere with the ports issue.

Most reactions