What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How make a URL for a file

treta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

I'm trying use the app Iconizer

I would like have a shortcut (icon) in a iPad to open a html file.
First of all I don't know the path for the location of this file

If I place the file (barragens.html) in Office2Plus\documents I can open the file. Must open the app and then click over the file . But I don't know the path

If I place the file in General Storage with iFunbox the path is //var/mobile/Media/general_storage/barragens.html

With Iconizer I try to make a personalized URL for General Storage and get a error: cannot open the url://var/mobile/Media/general_storage/barragens.html

Can you help me doing the URL? And how wright the correct path?

Thanks

OP
T

treta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is this a shortcut to a web site or a document on your iPad?

As I said before it's a html document.

I tried several ways like this: /Users/"My name"/general_storage/barragens/documents.html and file://localhost/Users/"my name"/general_storage/documents/barragens.html

Nothing works.
The question is what's the PATH to a document placed in general storage?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There is no general storage area on the iPad for documents and files. Documents and files are stored in whichever app they were first downloaded to and with few exceptions aren't available to other apps. There's no way to access the document or file except to open the app it's located in. There's no way to access it remotely. This is because of Apple's sandboxing rules which strictly limit and control how apps can interact with each other.

OP
T

treta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Looking to my iPad or my iPhone I have General storage and I can place in there documents.

Any way the app that I can read the html document (barragens.html) is Office2Plus.

So the question is what's the PATH to a document placed in Office2Plus.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I say again, there is no General, or central, storage area for documents and files on an iPad. Documents downloaded to an iPad have to be added to a specific app, not any sort of General storage area.

iOS devices are not like PC's which have central file repositories for downloaded documents, which can then be accessed by any program requiring those documents.

An html document or any other document is only stored in whatever app it was downloaded to. If by PATH to a document you mean how you can access it from outside the app it's located in, you can't, unless the app the document is located in has given permission for the app that's trying to access the document to do so. Examples of apps that allow remote document access are Dropbox, Box, etc.

iFunbox, which you mentioned in your first post, when downloaded to your computer, allows you to remotely access documents stored on your computer from your iPad or other iOS device.

Last edited:
OP
T

treta

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If by PATH to a document you mean how you can access it from outside the app it's located in, you can't.

Ok, so I stop trying to make a shortcut for this document. No way to do this.
You said there are no General storage. Why do I have it?

Picture1.jpg

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok, so I stop trying to make a shortcut for this document. No way to do this.
You said there are no General storage. Why do I have it?

View attachment 62892
That general storage is the storage memory on your iPad that's used for storing downloaded apps, movies, TV shows, music, etc. It's not a central file repository for downloaded files.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts