What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to connect my iPad to my LAN (office network)?

hpum

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My office LAN is connected to a switch which is connected to a wireless router via cable in one of its ports. I can connect my iPad to the wireless network of the router. I have downloaded apps like RDP client and need to connect to one of my computers on the LAN. If I'm not mistaken, even if we share internet connection via router, my iPad does not belong to my office LAN. So how would it be possible for my iOS device and its Apps connect to my office LAN to RDP or access its files? Thanks

dhewson777

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I use FileBrowser to access shares on my work network with my iPad. No need to belong to a domain or workgroup as such.

Redjupiter

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Security. Not a chance in hell in my office to connect to my desktop machine if IT does not allow it. In my place wireless and LAN have different security. IT gave me a VPN to gain access from home. So it depends on your company setup.

D

dvdcatalyst

My office LAN is connected to a switch which is connected to a wireless router via cable in one of its ports. I can connect my iPad to the wireless network of the router. I have downloaded apps like RDP client and need to connect to one of my computers on the LAN. If I'm not mistaken, even if we share internet connection via router, my iPad does not belong to my office LAN. So how would it be possible for my iOS device and its Apps connect to my office LAN to RDP or access its files? Thanks

It depends on how things have been setup.

If the cable from the switch is plugged into the WAN (internet) port of the router, then wifi and lan are 2 different networks.

If the cable from the switch is plugged into a LAN port on the router (a numbered one) AND the DHCP stuff internally on the router is turned off (so the LAN does the IP addresses), then wifi and lan are the same network.

If you have access to the wifi-router's settings (and it is your own or if the IT dept doesn't mind/care), this should help:

Using an old router as a DIY wireless Access Point - Setting up the old wireless router | TweakTown

Most reactions

Latest posts