How to connect my iPad to my LAN (office network)?

Discussion in 'iPAD Connect' started by hpum, Mar 2, 2014.

1. hpum

hpum iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My office LAN is connected to a switch which is connected to a wireless router via cable in one of its ports. I can connect my iPad to the wireless network of the router. I have downloaded apps like RDP client and need to connect to one of my computers on the LAN. If I'm not mistaken, even if we share internet connection via router, my iPad does not belong to my office LAN. So how would it be possible for my iOS device and its Apps connect to my office LAN to RDP or access its files? Thanks
  2. dhewson777

dhewson777 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0
    I use FileBrowser to access shares on my work network with my iPad. No need to belong to a domain or workgroup as such.
  3. Redjupiter

Redjupiter iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9 / 0
    Security. Not a chance in hell in my office to connect to my desktop machine if IT does not allow it. In my place wireless and LAN have different security. IT gave me a VPN to gain access from home. So it depends on your company setup.
  4. dvdcatalyst

dvdcatalyst Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    It depends on how things have been setup.

If the cable from the switch is plugged into the WAN (internet) port of the router, then wifi and lan are 2 different networks.

If the cable from the switch is plugged into a LAN port on the router (a numbered one) AND the DHCP stuff internally on the router is turned off (so the LAN does the IP addresses), then wifi and lan are the same network.

If you have access to the wifi-router's settings (and it is your own or if the IT dept doesn't mind/care), this should help:

Using an old router as a DIY wireless Access Point - Setting up the old wireless router | TweakTown