What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lan wire connectivity with Ipad??

Snowwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there

I wish to know whether is there such as device whereby one end is a lan wiring connecting point(plug a lan wire) and the other end is a normal USB connecting point? We can use the usual Ipad connecting cable with one USB end to connect it.

The above assumption is when a place do not have any wifi connectivity, only lanwire and no other IT devices around.

Is there one?:confused:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm afraid this is not possible. The iPad 'USB' connector is not a full USB 'port' as you might normally understand it and supports only limited functionalithy. So, if you have the iPad dock connector-to-'USB' cable you cannot simply plug in any USB device, as you might be able to on, say, a PC.

If you don't have 3G on your iPad and there's no WiFi in the vicinity, then your best option might be a mobile WiFi hotspot (sometimes known as a 'MiFi'). These are, typically, small devices that integrate a mobile 3G broadband modem and a WiFi and enable several WiFi-equipped devices to connect to the Internet.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Snowwhite

Snowwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Thanks for your lovely response. Can I actually use this connector to do it? I can use a another male to male USB connector to link this 2 cables together? Please advise.......

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Apple-USB-Ethernet-Adapter-100Base-TX/dp/B0012P26ZO]Amazon.com: Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - Network adapter - Hi-Speed USB - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet - 10Base-T, 100Base-TX: Electronics[/ame]

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There is no cabled internet connection for the iPad that will work. The port and operating system do not support it.

The MiFi solution that Tim is talking about connects to a cellphone network. Then it creates a local WiFi hotspot. Your iPad joins it just like any other wifi hotspot. This is a pretty good solution if you are out and about without any wifi hotspots available. Obviously you have to buy a plan from a cellphone company, so the solution can get expensive.

The other choice is to cary a portable router that you can hook up to a cable internet source. This router will create a WiFi hotspot for your iPad to connect to. A good choice for this is the Apple Airport Express.

You may have to play around with it a bit to get the settings right, but there are people here who can help with that.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim

Thanks for your lovely response. Can I actually use this connector to do it? I can use a another male to male USB connector to link this 2 cables together? Please advise.......

Amazon.com: Apple USB Ethernet Adapter - Network adapter - Hi-Speed USB - Ethernet, Fast Ethernet - 10Base-T, 100Base-TX: Electronics

As twerppoet suggests, this will not work. You may be able to physically connect the iPad through this cable to an Ethernet network, but the iPad does not have the software/firmware to support a cable network connection. So I am afraid you will have to look for another solution - such as the MiFi solution or twerppoet's suggestion of carrying a wireless router around with you. This could connect to the Ethernet network and then 'connect' to your iPad via a wireless connection. As he suggests, there would be some configuration required - of the router and possibly some IT support from whoever is the administrator of the Ethernet network.

Let us know how you get on. By the way, do you have a smartphone? Android smartphones have an app that can turn them into a WiFi hotspot. There are rumours that the next release of the iPhone OS will support this too. So this would also work - it's basically nothing more than the MiFi solution, but saves you having to purchase a MiFi unit.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Snowwhite

Snowwhite

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This

Hi everyone

This for all your responses.

Tim,

I am currently using a HTC cruise 9 using mobile windows, does this helps? If you have any apps to promote wireless spots......let me know...;)

T

TJK

As others have said a wired ethernet connection is not possible with the iPad. I have been through this and have verified with Apple support and the genius' at my local Apple store.

XERO

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too had the same question a while ago. I travel quite a bit and the hotel I stay at most has free internet, but it's wired. What I did was buy a regular wireless router, cheap one, set it up with my laptop at the hotel, and now I am able to use it and my wifi iPad in that hotel. It works great, but just another think I need to lug around in my carryon.

stolly28

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I think Apple has declared the wired Ethernet dead and a thing of the past. This is very inconvenient for iPad users that stay in hotels that only offer a wired Internet connection. From my experience a travel router solves this problem and will allow you to connect ALL of your wi-fi devices to the hotels Internet connection. A travel router will take the hotels Internet connection, then create a new in-room network for you to use, so you can connect your iPhone, laptop, iPad, etc. to the single hotel connection. Very convenient for traveling families too.

I recommend the ZuniConnect Travel, which is a 802.11n router, but also a 2 port USB charging station capable of charging the iPad. It is available from online retailers like Amazon and Buy for about $70.

rtmdmb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
but what if the wired internert connetion is password protected ? How to setup ?

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ahh man i wish there was a connection for lan on the ipad. on my college wifi i am limited at speeds but at lan i basically get more than anybody would need

kingnba6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
the settings right, but there are people here who can help with that.
jie1.jpg
jie2.jpg

^^is this in response to vvv

ahh man i wish there was a connection for lan on the ipad. on my college wifi i am limited at speeds but at lan i basically get more than anybody would need

if so what settings and how can i fix that, well bypass that

Most reactions

Latest posts