What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to burn DVDs to iTunes

OP
justcecil

justcecil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I made a MPEG4 movie on a PC and copied the movie to a DVD. I now have a new computer, without the original file movie. My question should had stated this information. I thought or wanted to just rip the old DVD movies I made, into iTunes, from the DVD. I now know you cannot do this. You can import the file from the computer. I was just trying to limit copying the file from DVD to PC and them importing into iTunes. I hope I stated it clearly this time. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Ok, I'm pretty sure I got it this time. You made an MPEG-4 movie, then burned a standard movie DVD using it. You no longer have the original MPEG4 file. Thank you for clarifying that.

I'm afraid there isn't' any thing else I can help you with. If you have trouble ripping and converting the DVDs there are several members who do this all the time. They should be able to help.

Good luck.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Yes I made a MPEG4 movie on a PC and copied the movie to a DVD. I now have a new computer, without the original file movie. My question should had stated this information. I thought or wanted to just rip the old DVD movies I made, into iTunes, from the DVD. I now know you cannot do this. You can import the file from the computer. I was just trying to limit copying the file from DVD to PC and them importing into iTunes. I hope I stated it clearly this time. Thanks.

Please provide some information on your 'new' computer, i.e. PC or Mac (model/year/OS or Windows version installed). Just as w/ music on CDs, you likely will have to rip the DVD to your computer in the correct format, import into the computer's iTunes program, and then sync to your iPad.

Now I've not done this in several years - many here (and on other forums I visit) recommend giving HandBrake a try - free app and has worked for me in the past; some information below from the link given. Dave :)

Supported Input Sources:
Handbrake can process most common multimedia files and any DVD or BluRay sources that do not contain any kind of copy protection.

Outputs:
  • File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
  • Video Encoders: H.264(x264), H.265(x265) MPEG-4 and MPEG-2 (libav), VP8 (libvpx) and Theora(libtheora)
  • Audio Encoders: AAC, CoreAudio AAC/HE-AAC (OS X Only), MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
  • Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, DTS, DTS-HD, AAC and MP3 tracks

OP
justcecil

justcecil

iPF Noob
Reaction score
griadman I think I will just copy the file from the DVD to my Windows 8.1 PC. Import into iMovie and save it. That way it it be backup in iCloud and available to iTunes. I just wanted a short version, rip directly from DVD to iTunes, as you can music CD's. My problem is solved. Thank you for your info.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts