How to burn DVDs to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by justcecil, Mar 22, 2015.

1. justcecil

justcecil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. I have them saved in MPEG-4 on DVD, was looking for a shortcut to burn directly to iTunes. For home movies, I guess they do not want that ability. I will see if I can burn to PC, transfer to Air Stach, and import into iMovie. Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    If the files are already in MPEG-4, then it's possible they will play in iTunes on the computer. You need to insert the DVD, choose the Add to Library option in the File menu in iTunes, navigate to the file on the DVD, and chose it to import.

If it imports and plays on the computer, then it should be possible to sync it to the iPad using the Video's options that show up when you iPad is plugged into the computer and selected in iTunes. This would work just like syncing movies you purchased in iTunes to the iPad.

What you can not do is take a movie DVD that is formatted to work in a DVD player and rip the movie into iTunes. This is what requires the third party software. Audio CD ripping is supported. DVD movie ripping is not.

It is possible that the format you currently have the movie in will not work in iTunes. MPEG-4 has a bunch of different varieties/speeds/settings, not all of them compatible with iTunes. If that is so, you'll still need ti convert it using something like Handbreak.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. rasmith1959

rasmith1959
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    If these files are already in MPEG4 format you can right click it and the select "Open with" and then select iTunes in the drop-down menu. If it plays in iTunes, then you'll be able to import it into your iTunes library and then be able to transfer it over to your iPad.

Sent from my iPad Air using Tapatalk

4. justcecil

justcecil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks. That is if you rip from DVD to PC/Mac. I was looking for a straight rip from disc to iTunes. But it is a way to get the job done.

5. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    I am now completely confused about what you're trying to do.

Are these movie DVDs? The kind that you put in any old DVD movie player and play? You made a movie, then you had special software encode and burn a video formatted DVD? This is not MPEG-4, or any other MPEG format.

Or are these file DVDs, that just happen to have MPEG-4 movie files on them? You made a movie, then loaded a DVD into your drive and copied the movie file to the DVD; pretty much the same way you'd copy any file to a DVD, hard drive, or any other storage medium?

If the first, then there is 'no' way to directly import them to iTunes. None. You'll have to rip and convert them first.

If the second, then it's only a matter of importing the file into iTunes. You don't rip, burn, or massage it with cooking oils, you just import it like any other file. If the format is compatible, and there's a fair chance it is, then it will work. If the format is not compatible then you're back to converting the file with third party software. iTunes wont' do it for you. (though it will (sometimes) convert file formats it' recognizes to more iPad friendly ones during sync).

I don't know of any other way to explain this. If you don't' understand, please ask questions.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. justcecil

justcecil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Yes I made a MPEG4 movie on a PC and copied the movie to a DVD. I now have a new computer, without the original file movie. My question should had stated this information. I thought or wanted to just rip the old DVD movies I made, into iTunes, from the DVD. I now know you cannot do this. You can import the file from the computer. I was just trying to limit copying the file from DVD to PC and them importing into iTunes. I hope I stated it clearly this time. Thanks.

7. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    Ok, I'm pretty sure I got it this time. You made an MPEG-4 movie, then burned a standard movie DVD using it. You no longer have the original MPEG4 file. Thank you for clarifying that.

I'm afraid there isn't' any thing else I can help you with. If you have trouble ripping and converting the DVDs there are several members who do this all the time. They should be able to help.

Good luck.

8. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Please provide some information on your 'new' computer, i.e. PC or Mac (model/year/OS or Windows version installed). Just as w/ music on CDs, you likely will have to rip the DVD to your computer in the correct format, import into the computer's iTunes program, and then sync to your iPad.

Now I've not done this in several years - many here (and on other forums I visit) recommend giving HandBrake a try - free app and has worked for me in the past; some information below from the link given. Dave :)

9. justcecil

justcecil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    griadman I think I will just copy the file from the DVD to my Windows 8.1 PC. Import into iMovie and save it. That way it it be backup in iCloud and available to iTunes. I just wanted a short version, rip directly from DVD to iTunes, as you can music CD's. My problem is solved. Thank you for your info.