How to burn DVDs to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPad Air 2 Forum' started by justcecil, Mar 22, 2015.

1. justcecil

justcecil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I have no problem burning CD music in ITunes. How do you burn movies from Cd's or Dvd's? I do not want to break any copyrights, just movies I created on Dvd's.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi Justcecil - not sure that I can help much, but am not clear on exactly what you are trying to do? I've burned a lot of music to CD-Rs from iTunes (purchased MP3s mainly) on my MBPro laptop and I'm assuming that your are doing the same w/ music, i.e. the iTunes app on the iPad is not going to provide that feature.

So, are you making movies on your iPad Air 2 (the forum where your OP was placed) and do you want to 'burn' them to a DVD? If so, you would need to transfer the movies to a regular computer and use the appropriate software and a CD/DVD burning device to make the DVDs. Now, I may be missing something here, so please explain and hopefully others will 'chime in' w/ suggestions. Dave :)

3. justcecil

justcecil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    No I have home movies on Cd's/DVD's that I want to burn to iTunes movie collection. No problem with music; however, I just don't know how to transfer my movie collection to iTunes.

4. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    iTunes does not have the ability to rip DVD's, protected or not. Only CD ripping is built in.

You'll have to use other software to do the conversion then use the Add to Library option in iTunes' Files menu. I haven't used it myself, but I believe the Handbrake utility has a preset for iTunes compatible file formats.

5. dhewson777

dhewson777
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Ninja

Thanks Received:
    ITunes does not have a built in way to "rip" DVDs, only CDs. (The term is "ripping" not burning)

You'll have to find useful third party software that will rip your DVD to a format for inputting to iTunes. I have used Handbrake, which does have presets for importing into iTunes.

EDIT: just beaten to the punch by TP ;)

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. twerppoet

twerppoet
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Legend II

Thanks Received:
    But far more authoritative, since you've actually done it. The only non-iTunes movies I have in iTunes are some that I created with iMovie, which can export directly to iTunes.

7. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    Hi again - I believe the three of us have indicated that iTunes cannot be used to rip DVDs nor are you able to 'burn' the discs, so your terminology is confusing. I think that what you want to do is transfer your 'movies' to your iPad so they can be viewed on that device - correct?

Now, I or others can continue, but let's try to get your goals clear, otherwise a waste of verbiage - ;) Dave

8. justcecil

justcecil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Sorry Dave. Yes end goal is getting my movies that are currently on CD/Dvd's to my IPad.. I thought I would have to load to iTues and from iTunes, to Ipad.

I do not know any other means to transfer them to my iPad. Unless I can burn them to a folder on my computer, import into iTunes or IPad. Just want to do a few.

None of the movies were made with iMovie. Canon movie Cam, tape, Pinnacle Studio.

9. giradman

giradman
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Wizard

Thanks Received:
    OK - now clear - thanks! :)

First, your 'movies' need to be in a proper format to run on the iPad - quoted below is from an Apple specs site for your device - if not in one of those formats, then you'll need to 'convert' them on your computer, which likely will require a software program (not sure if you're on a PC or a Mac, but googling the formats should help) - I've used a program on my MBPro called Adapter that is free and works like a charm - there is a Windows version.

Second, once converted (of course, if needed which I suspect will be true), you can import the movies into iTunes on your computer and then cable to your iPad and transfer (I've not done it in several years but worked on my old iPad 2). Also, there are wireless or cloud options, such as Dropbox or iCloud - I've not done movie transfers 'over the air' but should not be a problem.

Finally, there are devices, such as AirStash (pic below) that can be setup their own Wi-Fi network, connect to your iPad, and play and/or transfer files of certain types - description on Amazon HERE - there are other similar devices, several of which have been discussed on this forum, so a search might help.

Let me stop there for you to 'digest' this information and ask further questions or provide us more information, if needed - good luck. Dave :)
    Screen Shot 2015-03-22 at 5.43.34 PM.png 61N5caGHcnL._SL1500_.jpg

10. justcecil

justcecil
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Thanks, I have the Air Stash. I just thought there should be a way to burn the DVD directly into iTunes, like you can with a music CD.

I appreciate all the inputs