What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how remove jailbreak from ipad 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hayem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am new to ipad apple thing.just purchased my ipad 3 and brother did a jailbreak.i want to restore to original and remove jailbreak and all related files.is there a step by step guide here?thanks

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hayem said:
I am new to ipad apple thing.just purchased my ipad 3 and brother did a jailbreak.i want to restore to original and remove jailbreak and all related files.is there a step by step guide here?thanks

There is a very simple way:
Tap Cydia, at the bottom
Tap Manage, Scroll down to C,
Tap Cydia Installer, Top right corner
Tap Modify,
Tap Remove
Tap Confirm
Tap Force Removal (Unsafe)

When the delete finishes, it might prompt you to return to Cydia....
Please do so now, but wait, where is it? You are un-jail broke.

Hope this helps you and others.

Chas

Last edited:
OP
H

hayem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i was reading somewhere about doing factory restore settings,...i do not need that?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
No offence Redhotpoker, but that is not a process which will achieve what the OP asked. The clue is in the fact that that operation is marked by Saurik as UNSAFE. That simply removes Cydia and leaves the device jailbroken, which is not what he asked for. Cydia is not the one and only part of the jailbreak. It is a single piece of the puzzle.

hayem, to completely remove the jailbreak you should NOT use the reset functions on the device you can find in Settings. These do not work on jailbroken devices and will leave your device in a bad state.

The simplest thing to do is connect to iTunes and press "restore". Under normal circumstances (even for a JB device), this should install IOS 6.0 in a stock / factory fresh state. You will be able to set up your device again from scratch, safe in the knowledge that all traces of the previous JB have been removed. All your purchases etc. can be easily restored via the App Store without buying them again.

If you do happen to run into problems (maybe your brother changed the config of the PC during the jailbreak to redirect the hosts file), then you can follow this guide for a failsafe method, but try the simple method above first - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...lsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hayem said:
i was reading somewhere about doing factory restore settings,...i do not need that?

Hi hayem,
You can't do a Factory Set until the jailbreak has been removed.
And please don't try it, as that can really mess things up, internally, for both you and the iProducts.

For anyone who has added themes or have a few things changed to your home page, this will be necessary before the Cydia Installer removal,
or you may very well leave behind some "remnant" (Thanks Francis V Zappa) you don't want that
Launch Cydia on the iPad by tapping its icon on the home screen. Allow Cydia to fully load and refresh its data and list of sources before continuing.

Tap the "Manage" button in the menu at the bottom of the screen, followed by the "Package" button.

Scroll through the list of installed applications and tap the entry for Winterboard.

Tap the "Modify" button in the upper right corner of the screen, followed by the "Remove" button that pops up at the bottom.

Tap the "Confirm" button in the upper right corner to begin removal of Winterboard from the iPad. The device will reboot to complete the application's removal.

Moderation Notice: This post has been edited by a member of staff in accordance with the Forum Rules. No external links!

Chas

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
H

hayem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thank you f4780y i wil try what you have told me.

1-when i restore from backup will it bring back jailbreak,Cydia files?my brother did his home jailbreak,when i installed itunes it did backup jailbreak files,i think.

2-do i follow this *** LINK REMOVED *** and choose this option
"Set up as a new iPhone" to start fresh with factory settings.

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Chas / Redhotpoker - please do NOT post links to external sites which are providing irrelevant information. This is against our rules. Furthermore, this is NOT what the OP asked for.

Redhotpoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:
No offence Redhotpoker, but that is not a process which will achieve what the OP asked. The clue is in the fact that that operation is marked by Saurik as UNSAFE. That simply removes Cydia and leaves the device jailbroken, which is not what he asked for. Cydia is not the one and only part of the jailbreak. It is a single piece of the puzzle.

hayem, to completely remove the jailbreak you should NOT use the reset functions on the device you can find in Settings. These do not work on jailbroken devices and will leave your device in a bad state.

The simplest thing to do is connect to iTunes and press "restore". Under normal circumstances (even for a JB device), this should install IOS 6.0 in a stock / factory fresh state. You will be able to set up your device again from scratch, safe in the knowledge that all traces of the previous JB have been removed. All your purchases etc. can be easily restored via the App Store without buying them again.

If you do happen to run into problems (maybe your brother changed the config of the PC during the jailbreak to redirect the hosts file), then you can follow this guide for a failsafe method, but try the simple method above first - http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreaking-hacking-tutorials-how-guides/52863-tutorial-failsafe-method-restore-current-version-ios.html

Hope that helps.

f4780y
I don't come here often anymore because of this kind of retort. I fail to see your point.
My method works, with out any additional device.
What if you don't have a computer or iTunes?

As there are many ways to skin a cat, so too, are there several ways to remove Cydia and all it's particulars.

I've done it, it works, it really works, and flawlessly without iTunes or the need to connect to a computer at all. Try it yourself if you have doubt.
What about those without a computer/iTunes installed?

Chas

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
thank you f4780y i wil try what you have told me.

1-when i restore from backup will it bring back jailbreak,Cydia files?my brother did his home jailbreak,when i installed itunes it did backup jailbreak files,i think.

2-do i follow this *** LINK REMOVED *** and choose this option
"Set up as a new iPhone" to start fresh with factory settings.

I provided you with a link to our guide. Please don't link to one on a competing site. This is against our rules!

If you follow the instructions I gave, it will be fine.

1 - The jailbreak is not backed up and won't be restored.
2 - Yes, if you want to start fresh, choose "Set up as new iPhone" when iTunes asks you at the end of the process.

Good luck.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
f4780y
I don't come here often anymore because of this kind of retort. I fail to see your point.
My method works, with out any additional device.
What if you don't have a computer or iTunes?

As there are many ways to skin a cat, so too, are there several ways to remove Cydia and all it's particulars.

I've done it, it works, it really works, and flawlessly without iTunes or the need to connect to a computer at all. Try it yourself if you have doubt.
What about those without a computer/iTunes installed?

Chas

If you don't have a computer, you CANNOT remove a jailbreak using the method you said.
Just because you think it works, does not make it true. Removing Cydia will do 1 thing. Remove Cydia. Cydia is NOT 100% of the jailbreak. Removing Cydia does not make the device no longer jailbroken. In fact it is still fully jailbroken, it's just that Cydia is not installed. It sounds to me like you don't understand what Cydia is. It is simply a graphical apt front end.
Also, if you don't have a PC you can't jailbreak the iPad2 or iPad3 in the first place!

I don't need to try it myself because I understand how jailbreaking works very well. I have been doing it for 5 years.

You are very welcome to be a member of this site, but if you provide our members with mis-information about jailbreaking I will call you out on it. There is no excuse for giving bad information to members.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This post is closed - the original poster has had the question answered by f4780y in the fourth post.

As a side note to anyone reading - please do NOT attempt to remove your jail break by following the method(s) outlined here by by Redhotpoker. As f4780y so accurately stated, removing Cydia does not make your iPad a stock device, it only makes it impossible to access Cydia.

The only way to restore your iPad to the stock iOS is by restoring it with iTunes (or by upgrading to a newer iOS).

Marilyn

P.S. And, since this discussion is about a jail broken iPad, I've taken the liberty of moving your post over to the Hacking section. Thanks for your understanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts