What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how long will apple support the ipad 2 for.

MR1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that even after Apple stops supporting software updates you still have a functioning device. All you lose is the next latest and greatest feature. For many it's something that they can't even identify. The first iPhones still work as smartphones, just not quite as smart as the ip4s.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
WitchOneSalem said:
I use my poor iPhone 1 to play music throughout the house. Still has uses.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

That's a good point. iDevices will never become door wedges. They can all be used for music storage/playback when the rest of their useful functions have become obselete.

OP
T

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks ofr all the help someboyd on noather froum told me that apple will stop giveing updates to the ipad 2 in a year.
this person could be wrong

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Keep in mind that even after Apple stops supporting software updates you still have a functioning device. All you lose is the next latest and greatest feature. For many it's something that they can't even identify. The first iPhones still work as smartphones, just not quite as smart as the ip4s.

Only the phone and music parts work on my 3G because the firmware upgrades were so kludgy that the web browsing became uselessly slow.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unless I am wrong my iPhone4 and iPad2 both received the same Apple operating system upgrade today.

Yes, they do. We had meandered and were talking about older stuff, like the original iPhone and iPhone 3G, which stopped receiving firmware upgrades long ago.

ooney

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
I was forced by Sprint to upgrade my 15 year old phone and obtain a new 2 year contract, I just bought a iPhone 4 because I just use the phone and message some. It is nice to have a place for pictures and if needed search the Net. But I hardly use such a small screen device for this.
I have many computers window type and a Mac. Note book. So getting the first iPad2 was a normal step forward IMHO, now I will also get a new iPad. And use the iPad2 for music. I feel the iPad2 will be useful for many years to come.

I agree. Apple makes quality products. I feel the IPad 2 will be supported for years to come! I remember my friend buying an old MacBook. It was better they most laptops for the Internet.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MR1 said:

True I updated one application on iPhone 1 a few nights ago .

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I hope it lasts a while! I expect to be using my iPad 2 for a looooooong time. I understand that at some point they'll stop providing updates but as others have said, you can still always use it as is for something.

OP
T

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
well iam useing an old pc i built back in 2005 and i have not updated it in long time.
and iam sure its all out dated but it still gets me on line to surf the web and do emails.
so i guess the ipad 2 will last me a long time

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
s2mikey said:
I hope it lasts a while! I expect to be using my iPad 2 for a looooooong time. I understand that at some point they'll stop providing updates but as others have said, you can still always use it as is for something.

I plan on using iPad 1 until tax refund time next February. Then it is iPad 3.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm going to keep my iPads indefinitely, too. Even when firmware ends and if developers stop supporting old versions of apps, I figure I can still use them to play music and store photos.

Mtnmedic

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The fact that Apple is going to continue to market the iPad 2 tells me they will also continue supporting it for a while. Will be keeping mine and give it to my mother after my new iPad shows this Friday.

Michael "Spam, spam, bacon, eggs and spam. Hold the bacon and eggs." Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts