What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

how long will apple support the ipad 2 for.

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a question about the ipad2 how long will apple support it with as in constant iOS updates with new features. a year or longer i just would like to know because the new ipad costs a lot of moneyi can get an iapd 2 32 gig for 499. as long as apple suports it with updates and os updates i would buy one.but i would not wanna buy one and then next year they will end support for it . iam stuck

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I doubt anyone who knows would be on the forum announcing that info. Maybe Apple doesn't even know yet, given that iPad is still relatively new.

Apple has just upgraded iPad 1 to iOS 5.1, so the record so far is at least two years.

OP
T

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
thanks kay kay i did not know that the ipad1 could upgrade to iOS 5.1 also.. iam such a newbie lol
so 2 years is not bad i guess for the ipad 1

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just updated my and my husband's iPad 1s to iOS 5.1, along with my iPad 2.

If I were in the market for a new iPad, I'd definitely get the newest model, partly because of the likelihood that you'd get updates longer. You'd also get better hardware and better resale later, if that's a consideration. But of course, each buyer's budget and needs will vary.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just as my own rule of thumb, as a long time Apple user, I find that allowing two years after they stop selling a product for updates seems to work. As iPad 2 is still being sold then you've probably got a good two to three years.

Don't put too much on my advice though as there will always be exceptions.

The Archangel

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just as my own rule of thumb, as a long time Apple user, I find that allowing two years after they stop selling a product for updates seems to work. As iPad 2 is still being sold then you've probably got a good two to three years.

Don't put too much on my advice though as there will always be exceptions.

The Archangel

I think this is good guidance with one possible hiccup: Apple kept offering firmware upgrades for iPhone 3G, but the firmware was so kludgy that the phones essentially became nonfunctional for some users (some even tried to sue). From what I remember, I had my iPhone 3G about 1.5 years before it was rendered useless by Apple's firmware upgrades, even though they offered them. I don't think that's been repeated as badly, but I'm a bit gunshy, especially after the last iPad firmware upgrade left many users with crashes, especially on iPad 1, because of RAM probs. I hope this upgrade has fixed the crashes (I've not used iOS 5.1 long enough to tell, but others are saying they're seeing fewer crashes), but I'm still skeptical.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I think this is good guidance with one possible hiccup: Apple kept offering firmware upgrades for iPhone 3G, but the firmware was so kludgy that the phones essentially became nonfunctional for some users (some even tried to sue). From what I remember, I had my iPhone 3G about 1.5 years before it was rendered useless by Apple's firmware upgrades, even though they offered them. I don't think that's been repeated as badly, but I'm a bit gunshy, especially after the last iPad firmware upgrade left many users with crashes, especially on iPad 1, because of RAM probs. I hope this upgrade has fixed the crashes (I've not used iOS 5.1 long enough to tell, but others are saying they're seeing fewer crashes), but I'm still skeptical.

Yes, I tend to upgrade my current devices straight away but I wait for others to test drive before I update older devices so currently my iPad 2 is on iOS 5.1 and my iPad 1 is still on iOS 5.0.1........I've not seen any bad reports regarding the iPad 1's updating so I'll probably update that shortly.

The Archangel

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I just updated my and my husband's iPad 1s to iOS 5.1, along with my iPad 2.

If I were in the market for a new iPad, I'd definitely get the newest model, partly because of the likelihood that you'd get updates longer. You'd also get better hardware and better resale later, if that's a consideration. But of course, each buyer's budget and needs will vary.

I wish that iPhone 1 could be updated past 3.1.1. But, that poor phone has no more updating life.

No reason to rid myself of that puppy. I still have use for that phone along with my 4s.

Sent from my IPAD 1st generation. WIFI only. 64GB

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, I tend to upgrade my current devices straight away but I wait for others to test drive before I update older devices so currently my iPad 2 is on iOS 5.1 and my iPad 1 is still on iOS 5.0.1........I've not seen any bad reports regarding the iPad 1's updating so I'll probably update that shortly.

The Archangel

Good approach.

I plunged in with iPad 1 this time because I figured the odds would be consumer outrage if the crashes on iPad 1 got any worse with iOS 5.1, lol.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I wish that iPhone 1 could be updated past 3.1.1. But, that poor phone has no more updating life.

No reason to rid myself of that puppy. I still have use for that phone along with my 4s.

Yes, unfortunately hardware is often outliving firmware and software nowadays. I have a hardware graveyard of stuff that is in fine physical condition, but was euthanized by firmware/software.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Yes, unfortunately hardware is often outliving firmware and software nowadays. I have a hardware graveyard of stuff that is in fine physical condition, but was euthanized by firmware/software.

I use my poor iPhone 1 to play music throughout the house. Still has uses.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use my poor iPhone 1 to play music throughout the house. Still has uses.

Yeah, that's pretty much all my iPhone 3G is good for, but I have so many newer gadgets that I never get around to using it.

WitchOneSalem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
Yeah, that's pretty much all my iPhone 3G is good for, but I have so many newer gadgets that I never get around to using it.

I use iPhone 1 everyday. Only 8gb of storage. Remember when this particular phone costed like 700.00 without a contract.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I use iPhone 1 everyday. Only 8gb of storage. Remember when this particular phone costed like 700.00 without a contract.

Yes, I remember reading about it when it came out. I didn't find a need to buy till the 3G model.

I paid about $700 for iPhone 4 off contract in Asia, where I spend part of my time. Many parts of the world don't have as many carrier-subsidized phones as in the U.S., but the data plans are much cheaper.

I've since passed on the 4 to my husband and gotten a 4S. One main reason I got it: 64GBs.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was forced by Sprint to upgrade my 15 year old phone and obtain a new 2 year contract, I just bought a iPhone 4 because I just use the phone and message some. It is nice to have a place for pictures and if needed search the Net. But I hardly use such a small screen device for this.
I have many computers window type and a Mac. Note book. So getting the first iPad2 was a normal step forward IMHO, now I will also get a new iPad. And use the iPad2 for music. I feel the iPad2 will be useful for many years to come.

Most reactions

Latest posts