What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How long should the iPad last?

Shihid

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am having shuffle 1st gen ,I pad one which I am using 15,16 hrs a day for work/games/Internet .
I pod touch 2nd gen. I started my journey from PC to lap top and then I pad.well I like APPLE bec of it's error free devices and superb quality.I am really impressed and if apple continues manufacturing fantastic/ reliable products then for sure I am APPLES life time costumer.
My last product other then apple was HP Laptop which was mini ,I like slim, sleek and long lasting error free devices.no one is like apple.Being engineer I can tell you flash memory is best one , rather then HDD,as well read write is concerned.if my iPad stays with me for 5 years problem free and even in 5th year battery lasts for only 3 hours , even then I will be happy with my iPad , as my HP mini,s best battery timings were 3 hours ......how's that?

Sent from my heart ,using my brain ..

Tseg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Already wore out oleophoebic coating on my iPad 2. But have now installed HD anti glare shield so screen issue is now a non-issue. Hopefully all other iPad "features" last significantly longer before wearing out.

buttrpecan1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have an ipod nano 2nd gen and an ipod touch 2nd gen and both still work very nicely.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Already wore out oleophoebic coating on my iPad 2. But have now installed HD anti glare shield so screen issue is now a non-issue. Hopefully all other iPad "features" last significantly longer before wearing out.

Which is why my iPad, all my previous iPhones, as well as past PDA, smartphones, and my current touch screen e-reader have screen protectors from the start.
I'll be interested to see how long the iPad battery lasts, as I do not intend to upgrade from my iPad 1 until then. I've only had it 9 months, so I hope I have a few years! I can't offer any personal iPhone feedback because I have gotten a new iPhone with each generation! My iPhone 4 is the longest duration of 16 months! But I do know someone with a 3G who replaced the battery himself because it did start to lose a charge. He's had his about 2 years and just had to replace it. But then again-a phone is constantly on too.
But it's the pain part-the 4 is much harder to replace the battery as a DIY, and an iPad, no way would I attempt. I wish Apple would make the battery truly user replaceable, but making it an obstacle leads to just buying a new one obviously!

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I'm curious how you managed to wear out the coating. Game playing? Did you clean with some sort of abrasive product? Maybe you got a lemon and should visit an Apple store for help.

I've used my iPad 1 extensively for more than a year and it shows no sign of wear. I expect my iPad 2 to survive likewise.

Poser

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But it's the pain part-the 4 is much harder to replace the battery as a DIY, and an iPad, no way would I attempt. I wish Apple would make the battery truly user replaceable, but making it an obstacle leads to just buying a new one obviously!

hmmmmnnn, 2 screws!!!!

iPhone-4-teardown-back-panel-battery-iFixIt.jpg

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tseg said:

As it's only a few months old why didn't you take it back to Apple to get it replaced?

The Archangel

GoPackGo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hope a long time! And when it starts to not perform as well, I hope I can afford the newest iPad at that point. :D

Destroyer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I like to skip at least one generation on Apple products well(the cheapest ones) but in my opinion a good solid 5 years it would be alright.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Whestly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad 2 was bought in 2011(before Siri existed), and has lasted 6 years. It still works correctly, but it has a few glitches. For instance, sometimes it will randomly flip upside down repeatedly. It also randomly turns off, becomes unresponsive, or just glitch out. But these glitches simply add to the fun of having an iPad, and are easily ignored after getting used to them, although it is hilarious seeing my friends freak out when it "pranks" them ;)

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
My first iPad 2 bought in 2011 lasted just over two years, when it developed a hardware fault. The authorised reseller said It was terminal and offered to sell me a replacement (presumably refurbished) unit which I accepted and it is still working today alongside an Air 2 purchased last year.

Willster

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I got my iPad 3 when it first came out in 2012 and it's still working ok. A bit slow at times though so I'm looking to replace it soon.

Most reactions

Latest posts