What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How often should you completely turn off your iPad?

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I havn't completely turn off my iPad in a really long time. (about 2 months) So I was wonder how often should the iPad be turn off and how long or frequently should it be turned off for? Or is it ok not to turn it off at all?

teedubbz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I shut my ipad2 down every 3 days or so.. According to my XSysinfo app it clears up a ton of memory! I am a pretty heavy user so it's a good way to avoid in-app crashes (which happens rarely for me)..

I would suggest it, especially if you experience any crashes or freezes..

T

OP
M325i

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No don't really experience and crashes of freezes, but that might be because I just restored my iPad recently. But every three days wow! Thats an eye opener, i'm a super heavy user as well I say I use my iPad like 5-8 hours a day at least. But when do you turn it off though, like overnight?

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey guys, I havn't completely turn off my iPad in a really long time. (about 2 months) So I was wonder how often should the iPad be turn off and how long or frequently should it be turned off for? Or is it ok not to turn it off at all?

I just do it every time I update apps or add files from my iTunes program on the computer. Usually when adding more than 2 or 3 new apps or some films and new pics. I want the music apps to start fresh and get them to know each other. :D Every two or three days, once a week sometimes.

MacTuneStretch

OP
M325i

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So pretty much what i'm getting here is about every 2 or 3 days. Well I also wanted to know how long it should be turn of for, like over night, just a couple of minutes...ETC

teedubbz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
M325i said:
So pretty much what i'm getting here is about every 2 or 3 days. Well I also wanted to know how long it should be turn of for, like over night, just a couple of minutes...ETC

The period of time you have your iPad shut down is not a factor!

T

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I wouldn't stress too much about it. Sometimes is off a couple minutes, just for refreshing new apps as I said before, some other times is just off the whole night, specially if charging. Leave it to your schedule or needs.

Our tool is really heavy duty, and I guess that not switching it off for two months is not going to harm it at all. ;)

BTW, mine is a 1st gen 64GB/3G and it rules.

Best! MacElephants Dream: Movie App...

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
iOS is an extremely stable operating system. Unless you are experiencing problems you can quite happily leave it running for months on end. Software, especially apps, are of course never bug free and very occasionally this can effect the OS. So a reboot is always a good first step if you run into an issue with an App.

Hope that helps.

Reaction score
Apple suggests a power down about once a week and a battery drain about once a month.
Not saying I agree our disagree, just that is what Apple suggests

Support Our Troops!!!
This post was Tapatalk approved
Sent from this Galaxy

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Apple suggests a power down about once a week and a battery drain about once a month.

What's the source of the weekly power down advice from Apple please Mark? I've never come across it before. Just interested as we should always be in tune with Apple on this stuff and this has completely passed me by.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score

What's the source of the weekly power down advice from Apple please Mark? I've never come across it before. .

I was wondering the same ~ I knew they advocate the once a month thing, but have I missed the power down weekly?

Never heard or read that before....

SaberOne

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on day four with it and it still has 20% left. I believe its the first Apple device that's ever held true to the advertisements. I'm shaking my head after buying a NEW Trent Mobile Power Pack before the pad arrived. I thought I would drain the pad during a long flight to Europe and I now see that isn't so likely. Oh well, live and learn.

hookbill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think the IOS is very stable. I feel the same way about my iMac too. I think the idea of shutting down is PC thinking.

Nevertheless, I still think at least occasionally you should shut it down. Do it when you feel like it or just don't do it at all. If it starts to slow down or something then shut her down.

OP
M325i

M325i

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the input guys, this helped a lot. I really appriciate it, I will be powering down when I feel the need to. (once in a while) I'm sure this will help a lot of other people wondering the same thing.

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score

I wouldn't stress too much about it. Sometimes is off a couple minutes, just for refreshing new apps as I said before, some other times is just off the whole night, specially if charging. Leave it to your schedule or needs.

Our tool is really heavy duty, and I guess that not switching it off for two months is not going to harm it at all. ;)

BTW, mine is a 1st gen 64GB/3G and it rules.

Best! MacElephants Dream: Movie App...

Off the whole night especially when charging?

My ipad 2 can't be turned off when charging.

Most reactions

Latest posts