What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I remove Photo, iMessages, Calendar, and Mail?

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How can I remove Photo, iMessages, Calendar, and Mail cache?

So basically I do not have anything on these apps. No photo no mail no events, but it still takes up space. I figure this is a bug or a cache.

What tweaks or programs can I use to remove these? iCleaner didn't work out for me.

Last edited:

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They're built into the iOS, and it's dangerous to edit the LaunchDaemons to remove them completely. If what you're referring to is removing the approximately 80 MB that the default coding takes up, that's not possible without jeopardizing your device. If you're referring to removing them from view, you can use Springtomize or Poof.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
They're built into the iOS, and it's dangerous to edit the LaunchDaemons to remove them completely. If what you're referring to is removing the approximately 80 MB that the default coding takes up, that's not possible without jeopardizing your device. If you're referring to removing them from view, you can use Springtomize or Poof.

Thats funny I could he sworn I added a cache in the title.

Well I was referring to removing caches in these apps as I get caches in it. I have no data in it and it takes up spacd.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's fairly difficult to remove the cache for them as they're established for quick access. For photos, the thumbnails take up a fairly significant portion of space, mail cache is not as bad, about 50MB or so tops probably. I'm not aware of any tweaks that would allow you to allow for a text-only sort of a list view, and it's not as productive when it comes to photos because you'll end up having to browse through it all if you have a lot of pictures taken on a daily basis and such.

The only known way to remove calendar and mail cache that I know of is to restore the device. Tweaks aren't made to do so because there's no level of certainty of which portion the user wants to delete and which ones they want to keep.

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It's fairly difficult to remove the cache for them as they're established for quick access. For photos, the thumbnails take up a fairly significant portion of space, mail cache is not as bad, about 50MB or so tops probably. I'm not aware of any tweaks that would allow you to allow for a text-only sort of a list view, and it's not as productive when it comes to photos because you'll end up having to browse through it all if you have a lot of pictures taken on a daily basis and such.

The only known way to remove calendar and mail cache that I know of is to restore the device. Tweaks aren't made to do so because there's no level of certainty of which portion the user wants to delete and which ones they want to keep.

What about photos? Why does it take up space even though it has no photo in it.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What about photos? Why does it take up space even though it has no photo in it.

If you're using messengers such as Kik, Telegram, or others, the images may be sandboxed with that app specifically, but will appear under the photos category even though you can't explicitly view them in the photos application. I'm not sure if album art still counts towards images anymore on iOS 7, because they did for a period of time during iOS 6 (if not throughout the entirety of iOS 6).

Not sure if this works anymore for the photo cache, but connect the device to iTunes, click on Photos, and de-select any associated folders used for syncing, then apply the changes.

Last edited:
OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you're using messengers such as Kik, Telegram, or others, the images may be sandboxed with that app specifically, but will appear under the photos category even though you can't explicitly view them in the photos application. I'm not sure if album art still counts towards images anymore on iOS 7, because they did for a period of time during iOS 6 (if not throughout the entirety of iOS 6).

Oh, yes I am using one. I was posting some pictures in it.

Ok what about iMessages?

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm. The more I delete messages, events, mails, the space they take up.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hmm. The more I delete messages, events, mails, the space they take up.

If it's not taking up a substantial amount of space, it's best to just leave it be to be honest, because either ways, if you were to backup and restore the device with the media still attached to the text or to the messaging service, the backup restore will bring it all back. For iMessages and such, delete that particular text with the image. For WhatsApp, do not enable the auto image/media downloading

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You could get the free Cydia tweak called "iCleaner" and run it to clear out the cache. It seems to work well for me.

Marilyn

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You could get the free Cydia tweak called "iCleaner" and run it to clear out the cache. It seems to work well for me.

Marilyn

Hmm now this is weird. My iPad says I have consumed 6.3 GB when , I calculated every thing, my tweaks, apps, and space stock apps consumed, is only 5 GB. I used iCleaner but it only cleaned up 214 MB.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm now this is weird. My iPad says I have consumed 6.3 GB when , I calculated every thing, my tweaks, apps, and space stock apps consumed, is only 5 GB. I used iCleaner but it only cleaned up 214 MB.

Don't forget that the iOS takes up space on the iPad, also. Even if you put nothing on it...

Marilyn

OP
Ser Aphim

Ser Aphim

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Don't forget that the iOS takes up space on the iPad, also. Even if you put nothing on it...

Marilyn

I guess thats what I ment with stock apps consumed but I don't know how to explain it. I don't have any data in my stock apps except caches.

Most reactions

Latest posts